• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First Snow This Fall Season

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mlang2005
These 100 degree days have got to go. Who will be the first FF member in the lower 48 to get snow?

We had snow earlier this month but it did not stick to the ground. NWS says we can get up to 8 inches of snow today. North of us about 30 miles has about 10 inches of snow on the ground already. Snow cat trailer is ready, snow cat is not....
P9160001a.JPG

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:snow_smi:We have 80-degrees and sunshine today.:sun1:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Sweating like a fat man in a gym here.......

You can keep the snow.......I got alot of mud here, free to good home :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith, I know what you mean!

I'm going to do some work sanding down the surface rust on my new (1967) Jeepster. I had to go to the garage and turn on the air-conditioner because it was too hot in there too work. I'll probably wait about another half hour before I go back out there so it will have time to cool down the shop.:snow2_smi

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wondered how long it would be before someone started shouting "We want snow"!

GYPSY

MTNTOPPER - how much snow if any is in the southern Big Horns near you? I only got rain with a few teasing snow flakes this past weekend.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
GYPSY said:
MTNTOPPER - how much snow if any is in the southern Big Horns near you? I only got rain with a few teasing snow flakes this past weekend.

As of late today the only snow left now is above 10,000 foot near my location. Some areas had up to 20 inches of snow. The higher peaks in the wilderness still look white. The early season snows melt quickly as the ground is not frozen until late October normally at most mountain elevations below 10,000 ft.

mlang2005

My cat(spryte) is not ready either, my wife thinks i'm crazy working on it when its hot as hell. I wonder if I have time to do the engine retro-fit I had planned, before the snow starts falling. What do you guys think of swapping out the stock I-6cyl ford(170ci i think?) for a 5cyl mercedes turbo diesel, I'm thinking about putting the mercedes automatic trans. behind it so I can gear down and reverse without having to push in the clutch. right now it is a direct drive to the trans axel. complete stop to shift gears is a real bummer at high 10,000ft in deeep powder. With the auto I could run a higher gear in the axel and a low gear in the front trans and shift up on the fly or gear down when making hard turns . Not sure how much all this is going to weigh, but I think it might be worth trying? any thoughts?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mlang2005,
The Mercedes diesel and auto conversionwould be interesting. The cost for converting and installing may be more than the gain is worth unless this is just your ultimate goal. Mounting in the frame for both would have to be fabricated form scratch. What is your rear end in this machine, OC4 or OC12?
There are two different gear ratios on the OC12 Spryte rear ends. I believe one is set at about 12MPH and the other is 16 MPH. Mine is the 12 MPH and has plenty of power for most applications. My 1200 was originally sold to Antarctic Services and used to tow. I was lucky enough to get the original factory build sheet from the original purchase. It is set up very HD for Antarctic Services.

You can pick up the Ford 300 6 cylinder and a Ford C6 auto and convert to what the newer Sprytes and LMC 1200 are using very easily. Many parts are available and easy to get for the Ford combination. The cost should also be reasonable also.

Good luck in whichever direction you take. Keep us updated as to the trials and tribulations of updating the Spryte.:thumb:

Bill

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
We have just got an awful lot of wind (no we haven't been eating baked beans!), rain and horrible wind - I want snow if I can't have sunshine.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Anita, you want to come live in the south! 25 degrees the other day, 20 today. Sunny and dry :D

mkntrakes

is the yellow machine in the picture the one you are talkin about if so i beleave it was owend by a power company that retrofited a 300 for 6cly

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Jim, it was even more windy today, we had the tail end of some hurricane, the sheet blew off the roof where I used to have a chimney and I still have no roof on one side of the house. The wind has now dropped, thank goodness, and there does not seem to be any damage, as far as I can see. I still want SNOW, 'cos I want an excuse to take the Snow trac out!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We are getting hit again today with about 4 to 5 inches of new snow. Maybe this year we will have a real winter and be able to use the snow cats as intended. I am looking forward to being snow bound for several days at a time this winter with all the roads closed. May have to even do some search and rescue on the mountain again this winter with the snow cat.

From the NWS Riverton Wyoming:
SNOW IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE OVER THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS AND
CASPER MOUNTAIN FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY
SATURDAY MORNING. THE NORTHEAST FACING SLOPES OF THE BIG HORN
MOUNTAINS AND CASPER MOUNTAIN COULD RECEIVE OVER ONE FOOT OF NEW SNOW BY EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. ADDITIONALLY...NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TO BETWEEN 25 AND 35 MPH DURING THIS TIMEFRAME LIKELY CAUSING SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Maybe this year we will have a real winter and be able to use the snow cats as intended.
As intended? Heck I didn't know you had cornfields :yum: :hide:

mlang2005

No that is not my cat in the picture (avatar) but similer, My cat has the oc4 rearend I will upgrade when I find an oc12. I think the auto trans will make life much easier on the wimpy rearend. I like diesels over the larger gas engines, We dont get the extreeme cold that other areas get. I already have the complete mercedes car in running condition picked it up for $300. The swap seems fairly easy other than some sheet metal work for a new engine cover. For easy access I'am thinking of making the entire cab jack up like a cab-over truck.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mlang2005 said:
For easy access I'am thinking of making the entire cab jack up like a cab-over truck.

Cool. When you master that, I will ship my 1200 LMC to you for this mod!!!!! Wow, look ma, I can actually see and work on the engine without hanging upside down!!!!:yum:

My VMC RT-01 cab tilts forward after I detach the four bolts holding the ROPS for the cab. Kind of a PITA to do to raise the cab as designed with the ROPS on. The rear cargo deck tilts opposite the cab for easier access to components.

VMC RT-01 With ROPS Cab
P4180029A.JPG