• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Catastrophic drug costs - in Canada!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's been a while since I lived in Canada but I do remember having to pay for prescription drugs. Only those people with supplemental insurance that they purchased on their own (expensive) or their employer purchased (hidden deduction from their salary) OR of course those on welfare got their prescriptions paid for. If you were stuck with the basic provincial insurance plan (at the time I paid something like $32 a month for it on top of my taxes) then you still had to pay for prescriptions.

So once again, it's not the free healthcare utopia that supporters of state run healthcare like to make it out to be. It still penalizes the middle class with the average job and income. It really penalizes the middle class that are self employed.

Of course, the average Canadian still thinks the answer lies in turning over more control to the government with no consideration for the expense.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2007/08/22/drug-costs.html

CMA calls for help with catastrophic drug costs

Governments could save in the long run, say doctors

The Canadian Medical Association called on governments Wednesday to bring in programs to cover catastrophic drug costs.

Dr. Scott Cameron, the P.E.I. delegate who introduced the resolution, said the program should cover prescription drug costs that exceed three per cent of a family's after-tax income. He noted that in Atlantic Canada 25 per cent of the population doesn't have prescription drug coverage.

Cameron said he has no idea how much such a program would cost the government but the costs of not having such a program are far greater.

"For every individual who fails to treat his or her diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease or other chronic illness appropriately due to the punitive nature of the costs of doing so, the social costs to the family, the costs to the economy in terms of productivity, those costs are also not calculated," said Cameron.

"One could argue there is a great offset to be achieved there."
Cameron said the P.E.I. Medical Association will be lobbying the provincial government to bring such a program to the Island.