• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

National Do Not Call List & lots of spam callers ... WTF?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a new phone number a few months ago.

I immediately put my number on the "National Do Not Call" registry listing.

I get junk/spam/solicitation calls on a daily basis. Today I got one that had a human on the other end and it was a human from America who spoke understandable English so I promptly announced that my number was on the "do not call" registry list and asked how he got my number.

He started backpedaling.

I asked again, how did he get my number.

He said the voter registration list.

Could that be true? The voter registration list? They don't have my old phone number, and certainly don't have my new phone number. How do these people get our phone numbers?

rugerman

Do not call list is a sham, feel good legislation to make folks think that the political creatures are actually doing something. Don’t know how the telemarketers get our numbers, don’t care just want them to stop. Lots of them are not in the us so that is why the powers that be say they can’t do anything.
Now tell me why political campaign calls are exempt from the do not call list, because they don’t give a damn if we want them or not they exempted themselves because they could. The political calls pissed me off so much that I called the local campaign offices and told them that if they continued to blast my phone with calls that I would not vote for their candidate, and when my political critters email me wanting suggestions on how to do a better job I tell them to do their job and quit blowing up my phone with their damn political campaign calls.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do not call list is a sham, feel good legislation to make folks think that the political creatures are actually doing something. Don’t know how the telemarketers get our numbers, don’t care just want them to stop. Lots of them are not in the us so that is why the powers that be say they can’t do anything.
Now tell me why political campaign calls are exempt from the do not call list, because they don’t give a damn if we want them or not they exempted themselves because they could. The political calls pissed me off so much that I called the local campaign offices and told them that if they continued to blast my phone with calls that I would not vote for their candidate, and when my political critters email me wanting suggestions on how to do a better job I tell them to do their job and quit blowing up my phone with their damn political campaign calls.

YUP

Had one of those yesterday. Gave them about 10 pounds of hell too :hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We have Xfinity Voice and upon request they will block all robot calls. It rings once and then the line is disconnected. Don't ask me how they know it is a robot call, but it works and I love it. No more crap like that.

Now, I also have a Google Voice number which is set up to ring all our phones at the same time, covering all the bases. This number is reserved for emergencies. The assholes have used that number from time to time, which really pisses me off.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I got a new phone number a few months ago... Today I got one that had a human on the other end...

Don't tell me that you actually ANSWERED a call from someone that you don't know:yum:

Now that "they" know it is a real number, you will get blasted with more calls as the telemarketers sell your number to other telemarketers.

I had the same issue with a new phone # too.
After registering on the DNC list and not answering calls that didn't have a caller ID that I recognized, about 3 months later the spam calls stopped.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i'll say, 'whom is bothering me @ this hour, & why'-- they end that call-- or, i'll say, 'identify yourself, please, as i don't take calls that disinvolve those that i'm not familiar w/ on a name-to-name basis'-- they end those calls, too-- i'll not 4-get to say, 'may i speak to someone over u'
oddly enough, they get chitty w/ me--
hm--

Last edited:

Ironman

I'm on the list and answered a call from a scammer once. After I realized this, and she wasn't interested in sucking my ****, she hung up. :flowers:

Next day some lady called me (local) and asked if I was a scammer. She used caller ID to call back the number of these scammers. Apparently - somehow MY cell # came up on her caller ID. They (scammers)used MY cell # to show up on the caller ID. F*ckers. :angry:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I think that they are allowed to call you if it's something like a political or charity type of call.
I'm surprised that you got a human. You can mess with them. Do what my dad used to, tell them something like you are very interested but you have to check something on the stove so it doesn't burn then just set the phone down.
I got the calls from (obviously by the accents) India saying they were from Microsoft. They would say they needed to check my computer.
I said that I really admire Bill Gates and ask if they knew him and just wouldn't let up on the subject.
As for answering just known numbers I get so many calls from doctor's offices I answer everything now.