• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Road Registering a Snow-Trac in the United Kingdom

Alp Trac

I have started this thread because in the United Kingdom we can road register Snow-Tracs.

In other word we can apply for number plates for the vehicle and drive them on the road!

There are several useful exemptions that apply to the vehicle:

Firstly they if they are pre 1973, they are exempt from road fund licence (car tax).

Secondly that since thay are 'Track laying Vehicles' thay do not require an MOT (safety test) see DVLA form V112 Claim for Exemption from MOT.
This can be down loaded from http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v112.pdf

When the process is completed you will need to insure your vehicle and obtain a tax disc (even if pre '74).

The photos below show two snowtracs from the forum, already road registered, and my Snow-Trac and Trac-Master hiding in the garage waiting for snow...

To apply for road registration you need to fill in form V55/5 from the DVLA, this includes details such as colour, model number, age, engine size, chassis number and engine number.

To obtain the necessary pack simply call the DVLA in Swansea on (0870) 2400 010

Once completed and posted, apparently the DVLA will then issue a V5 within 2 weeks...

I have just posted all of the relevant documentation so I will let you know how I get on!

Attachments

• 1tommo3.jpg
    1tommo3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 154
  • snowtrac.jpg
    snowtrac.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 157
  • snowtrac serial no. 039.jpg
    snowtrac serial no. 039.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 157

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is also road registered in the UK. It is taxed and insured too, though on the log book it is registered as 'private light goods' which means basically that I have to pay car taxation for it - rather expensive for something that doesn't really go on the road, not if you want to preserve the tracks!

Attachments

• Views and Snowtrac 007.jpg
    Views and Snowtrac 007.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 147

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I know it isnt really to do with this topic, but do you know how I would go about getting a small tractor licenced on the road?
I know it can be done, someone down the road has one, and the council have them too, all with reg plates.
Any ideas?
Thanks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
I know it can be done, someone down the road has one, and the council have them too, all with reg plates.
Any ideas?
Thanks
My initial thought would be to ask these people that got them. :whistle: :blahblah: :yum:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
No point asking the council guys, they wont know.
The other is at a large estate, I would doubt the gardener knows how, and no way am I knocking on their door, theyd probably call the police ;)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
No point asking the council guys, they wont know.
The other is at a large estate, I would doubt the gardener knows how, and no way am I knocking on their door, theyd probably call the police ;)

You could wait until Tuesday to knock on their door and pretend to be a Trick-or-Treater celebrating Halloween :hide:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Take photos to your nearest taxation office, the sort where they deal with that sort of thing and they would probably be able to advise you. I took photos of the snowtrac to Lincoln when I went up to visit friends, otherwise it would have meant a trip to Worcester or Bristol or somewhere like that. Best of luck.

Alp Trac

Ice Queen,

Hi there,

I note from your submission you pay road tax, you don't need to!

Get the form V355/1 from the DVLA.

In section 12 you will find A list of vehicles exempt from paying road tax.

Amongst the classes is one which would suit the snow-trac; Agricultural Off Road Tractor it is section 12.1 ii a and b. The category states:

12.1 (ii) An Off road tractor means a tractor which is not an agricultural tractor and which is:-

a) designed and constucted primarily for use otherwise than on roads; and

b) incapable by reason of its constuction of exceeding speed of 25 miles per hour on the level under its own power.

I think this describes the snow-trac perfectly!

The leafler says for further help contact your local DVLA office, I should do so armed with this leaflet.

If you want to give me your email I will scan the form and send it to you

It might save you a bundle!

Last edited:

Alp Trac

Mith,

The same applies to you, your tractor will be exempt in the same class.

To register it you will need the same pack from the DVLA that I am using for my snow-trac. Try to find some proof of age for it and they will issue age realated plates rather than Q plates (age not known).