• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Drive Sprocket ST4

barj

I've never seen (what looks like plastic or nylon) drive sprockets like this before on an ST4. Has anyone seen or done this before? Would they be adapted from another snowcat or custom made? Thoughts.

Attachments

• trac rig photos 001.jpg
    trac rig photos 001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 885

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I've never seen (what looks like plastic or nylon) drive sprockets like this before on an ST4. Has anyone seen or done this before? Would they be adapted from another snowcat or custom made? Thoughts.

Premature wear would be my thought . Isn't plastic without some type of metal cover, going to wear out very quickly ???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing that is a custom made sprocket. On the Snow Trac, the sprockets were a copper-bronze alloy that was designed as a wear part. The concept being that the sprocket would wear, and be easier to replace, than the track. Looks interesting, but that is the first one I've seen made like that.

Do you have any additional information?

barj

The sprockets are made from UHMW (about 1" thick) which is (apparently) very common to find on machines in Alaska.... which is where the one pictured in this post is from. They say it wears like steel but doesn't wear down the cleats.

barj

That's the one. I'm interested in it and have spoken to the owner several times but I'm having a tough time nailing down shipping costs and the best/least expensive way to ship it. I'm near Toronto (almost closer to get one from Europe :)...... I'm sure someone has done it before in this forum any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

teledawg

You can ship it to Tacoma reasonably on TOTE (Totem Ocean Trailer Express). If it runs and can move on its own they will charge you the same rates as shipping a car.

You could place an ad on uship.com to try and find a hot-shot trucker to get it from Tacoma to your place for a reasonable amout.

I've shipped a Trac-Master to Alaska that way before and it worked out very well.

barj

Here's the name and # of the company that makes these sprockets..... CAC Plastics (907) 376-7111.

C

Clifford

The Plastic or nylon you guys are looking at in this post is called Delrin, more dense that 440 steel, must be good stuff, NASA uses it on the space shuttles........ just in case anyone wanted to know.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I've beem working with cac plastics on the same thing the plastic they are using is uhmw polyehtyline uhmw ultra hugh molecular weight it was develiped for coal chutes snow plws are also made ut of the stuff now the neat part about it is the colder it gets the stronger it gets it is wears better than steel but wont eat up your grousers

peter keg

Uhmw is very wear reietant as dds mentioned.It is also very easy to machine.I have 1/8' on the bottom of my jetboat that runs lots of rocks.Have yet to punch a hole in it.Also used it in many mills I worked in as wear plate in conveyors

allias

I now own the snow trac pictured with the plastic sprockets. I have had no problems with them. I will be buying another set to have for replacement.

stevefromcac

Yes,they more than likely were produced in My shop out of 1" uhmw. I couldn't tell You for sure without knowing the customers name. I do know We have made quite a few sets of these with nothing but positive input. Ironically, My originals are in pretty good shape. I guess I could make Myself a pair anyway. Thanks for getting My contact info right.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was shopping for a trac and this was on one that I looked at. I Never asked the age or material.
DSC03358.jpg

DSC03354.jpg