• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can this Forum Survive?

Gatorboy

From the looks of things, I don't think this forum will survive that long. I can't see a large number of members flocking here.

There is no common bond (other than being banned from another site) to bring in new members. This is not a lawn care, tractor, photography, camping, boating, etc. based forum -- but rather just a bunch of topics thrown together.

Sure the band of brothers that put this together may stay -- for a while, but will this forum still be running strong 1 or 2 years from now? My guess is no, unless a major overhaul is made.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ibrahim said:
From the looks of things, I don't think this forum will survive that long. I can't see a large number of members flocking here.

There is no common bond (other than being banned from another site) to bring in new members. This is not a lawn care, tractor, photography, camping, boating, etc. based forum -- but rather just a bunch of topics thrown together.

Sure the band of brothers that put this together may stay -- for a while, but will this forum still be running strong 1 or 2 years from now? My guess is no, unless a major overhaul is made.

Thank you for caring.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Ibrahim said:
This is not a lawn care, tractor, photography, camping, boating, etc. based forum -- but rather just a bunch of topics thrown together.

What a concept. Exactly why I like it. I am not so one dimensional as to enjoy only one thing in life. Every opportunity I can get to be educated and interested in other subjects is taken and well received.

Even if only the core group of members continues, then I really don't care. They all seem to be people with a similar thought pattern and attitude.

I am also very very very impressed that you were able to come to that conclusion after only 48 hours of membership and seven total posts. :applause:

dirtybernie

i disagree 100% myself i like all of the forums in one place and would rather visit a site like this rather than a bunch of others that only talk one topic. :thumb:

also i might add. a big hats off to Doc and all the mods for making a place where you can openly talk about anything you wish.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't know exactly what will appeal new members, if it will lose that appeal if new members exceed the number of ones aforementioned, or what the magic number of each or total is to be sizeable and still fun....but

I'm having fun!:thumb:

I'm still trying to figure out the identity of Ibrahim.:confused: That would help point out if it's malice, concern, or just a way to get attention like the name did in the first place.:confused: :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"A fun place to talk about anything" is the forum motto.

Many of us weren't banned but I personally felt constrained as to what I could discuss elsewhere.

The common bond is that we can discuss anything. The many topics in the forum index is for organization. Yea, there's a lot of forum sections but if you can discuss anything, many are needed.

I don't have the stats for current activity, but I wouldn't say these #s are too bad considering how long the forum has been here.
Threads: 2,038, Posts: 21,489, Members: 233

Ibrahim said:
but will this forum still be running strong 1 or 2 years from now? My guess is no, unless a major overhaul is made.
You have suggestions?

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
They all seem to be people with a similar thought pattern and attitude.

Even better; I think it's a bunch of different thought patterns with the same attitude [we don't agree: why's that; still don't: screw :D you here and see you on the next topic]!
:a1:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ibriham makes some very valid points but as many members are well aware, we are also addressing many issues here to insure the site will actually grow and thrive. Is this a home for everyone? No. Is this a home for some? Obviously. And there are plans to continue the progress that has already been made.

One other point, which was certainly an errant obvservation, and that is that most of the members here are not banned from "the other" site. Some are. Some here have never been there. Some here frequent both sites. Some use this as their home site.

Gatorboy

I figured some would take my comments too personal, but I stand by what I have previously stated.

I feel there needs to be some core theme of the forum. Someone out in cyberspace is interested in <fill in topic> and Googles for that topic plus the word forum. What exactly would someone fill in to find this forum and then want to stay? I'm just saying that the most successful forums have a basic theme attached to them -- I guess Hodgepodge "could" be considered a theme.

Just trying to help. Sorry if I caused some to raise the hair on their back. I didn't realize there was a time or post limit before being able to determine what is good or bad.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ibrahim, I tend to think your point is valid. There does need to be some sort of commonality. I will disagree that it must be a SINGLE point of commonality. What we seem to have is a core group here that is seeking SEVERAL POINTS of commonality that can be built upon, and I see that evolving.

Personally I like when people post points that make people think. You did that.

OkeeDon

Just curious; you obviously thought it was worth joining and you've been participating; what was it that helped you make that decision? When you figure that out, that's your answer to why it will survive.

One central theme might be, "A place to talk about anything logically and rationally..." I've noticed that reasonable and logical folks with diverse opinions about any subject tend to stick around, while those who are guessing or faking it tend to move on. Maybe that''s the attraction?

BadAttitude

Ibrahim said:
I figured some would take my comments too personal, but I stand by what I have previously stated.

I feel there needs to be some core theme of the forum. Someone out in cyberspace is interested in <fill in topic> and Googles for that topic plus the word forum. What exactly would someone fill in to find this forum and then want to stay? I'm just saying that the most successful forums have a basic theme attached to them -- I guess Hodgepodge "could" be considered a theme.

Just trying to help. Sorry if I caused some to raise the hair on their back. I didn't realize there was a time or post limit before being able to determine what is good or bad.
Doesn't take a brain scientist to figure out who you are now...:pat:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ibrahim said:

"Hodgepodge" ! Doc! That's it! That's the description you need for this site...
Hmmm, I wonder how many times someone has actually "Googled" for info on "hodgepodge"?

You have a valid point - however, I don't recall reading anywhere in this site's "Mission Statement" that it is trying to have a "core" theme. As stated earlier, this is a place anything can be discussed. Maybe it's the Prozak, but I'm quite happy to just lounge around here and enjoy the company, or even...gasp! The "other" site (from which I'm not banned).

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to this site. Everyone's opinions are welcome here, though it may help for you to understand the "core" group of people here happen to like the site the way it is and therefore feel they need to defend it.

Happy hunting! :tiphat:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I don't know. This forum kind of reminds me of our country. You know, a melting pot of sorts. Another key issue is freedom of speech. Even the freedom for you to post that you feel it will fail without your post being censored or deleted. It's like our first amendment rights are recognized here. I disagreed with someone on TBN simply because I did not think it was in good taste to make fun of a guy getting killed on his tractor. My post got deleted and I got chastised and apparently banned. I see no logic in that method of management at all.

Here, not everyone agrees, but you can make your point; popular or not. Other sites are run like communist and other controlling countries are run; posts are heavily censored and those that do not go along with what the owners believe are simply removed. I guess your comment is more aimed at whether communism or democracy will prevail in the world. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Either way, your voice is allowed to be heard.

Come back often. I don't run the site, nor even am a moderator, but I doubt that any of your posts will be censored or deleted. Take care and be safe.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ibrahim said:

Give us an example of what you consider a good forum. Your coming off like a typical politician, making broad negative statement without a cure or supplying an example of a successful solution. I myself have never been banned and I contribute to many other forums. I find this forum the most diverse and the one I find myself frequenting the most. We say what we feel and remain civil, exactly what I don't find anywhere else. The requirement for me to tippy toe on other forums is a big deterent. I believe the assorted subjects and content FF has to offer would make it to hard to isolate a theme. I like it just the way it is and it wouldn't make a rats azz what they wanted to call it. I'll still frequent it as long as the fine folk that contribute and administrate hang around and its content includes tractors, guns, sports, tools, women, entertainment, help, family, pets, etc etc..... (are ya sorta getting the point)! Jeez...........

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I am also very very very impressed that you were able to come to that conclusion after only 48 hours of membership and seven total posts. :applause:

Probably a premature ej***lator too!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself taking the cheap stab at humor.............:yum:

dirtybernie

Dargo said:
Oh, I don't know. This forum kind of reminds me of our country. You know, a melting pot of sorts. Another key issue is freedom of speech. Even the freedom for you to post that you feel it will fail without your post being censored or deleted. It's like our first amendment rights are recognized here. I disagreed with someone on TBN simply because I did not think it was in good taste to make fun of a guy getting killed on his tractor. My post got deleted and I got chastised and apparently banned. I see no logic in that method of management at all.

Here, not everyone agrees, but you can make your point; popular or not. Other sites are run like communist and other controlling countries are run; posts are heavily censored and those that do not go along with what the owners believe are simply removed. I guess your comment is more aimed at whether communism or democracy will prevail in the world. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Either way, your voice is allowed to be heard.

Come back often. I don't run the site, nor even am a moderator, but I doubt that any of your posts will be censored or deleted. Take care and be safe.
very well said.:a1:

i like to think of forums like this and MTF as a new kind of forum that will in given time dominate the older style of forums and theyre managment.

working woman

Site Supporter
"There is no common bond (other than being banned from another site) to bring in new members. This is not a lawn care, tractor, photography, camping, boating, etc. based forum -- but rather just a bunch of topics thrown together."

I couldnt help myself, I looked up Forums in the ol' dictionary and one of the definitions says for the discussion of public matters. Think that covers a bunch of topics thrown together which of course leads to a bunch of discussion!

As for this site drying up and blowing away? No, not as long as this site stays the way it is! Besides, were else can you go,say whats on your mind and let your hair down and have a good laugh?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ibrahim....."Core Theme" is an oxymoron here. That is the whole point. Your need for a defined area of operation would suggest that you live in a cave. Cave dwellers/trolls are most comfortable in confined and defined space and cannot function with any real purpose outside that space.

If you had expressed the issue as a concern rather than an observation, you might have been precieved as legitimate.

If overnight stardom is what your after, you won't find it here. If you need to be wowed on a daily basis, you won't be here.

If you want straight from the hip shooting answers or comments to your posts regardless of your feelings, you've come to the right place.

If you need some help with something, you'll get it here.

If you want to talk about anything, you've come to the right place.

I don't believe you want what we have, which is sad because we have what you want....:5boobs:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nah, guys hes right, this forum will fail, I mean sucessful sites usually have atleast 20,000 members within their first 3 months, there are only a measly 200 in 3 months here, not a chance for us :(

dzalphakilo

Banned
If you look at one of my first post here, I might agree (came here per another member).

I had come over from another "site", but what I've found interesting is over time, I come here first, and more often (to the dismay of others, Im sure).

Hey, what Dargo said!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One thing that is interesting to me is that many of the folks who responded to this thread are not TBN members.

Perhaps that invalidates Ibriham's theory?

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like the idea of being able to discuss anything on here. Now having said that i think hiding the xxx section was a brilliant idea. That way people who don't want to see it aren't offended. It was maybe a little to "in your face" for some people, yet those who want it can still go there. I give this site a big thumbs up :thumb: and i go to a lot of other forums. I would rather have 200 quality than five thousand of just quantity.

Dur

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
One thing that is interesting to me is that many of the folks who responded to this thread are not TBN members. Perhaps that invalidates Ibriham's theory?

Bob or anyone; just for curiousity, what is the ballpark ratio of people from a particular tractor site to the those here at random. I have to wonder futher the ratio if you included all tractor sites.

Sure recognize a lot of names; and pretty sure a few others came from there but choose a different name [I plead guilty].

BoneheadNW

Not to repeat what others have said, but I thought I would add my 2 scents (notice the spelling, it is intentional):
Ibrahim said:
You are entitled to your opinion, but as a new member it sure seems like your statement was meant more to provoke than to inform.
Ibrahim said:
There is no common bond (other than being banned from another site) to bring in new members.
That is completely untrue. What basis to you have for making this statement? Again, for a new member to say something like this makes one suspicious of your intentions. By the way, if I was to go to "your forum" and make these statements, would the post be deleted? Would I be banned?
Ibrahim said:
Once again, you are entitled to your opinion. Perhaps you could make some constructive criticisms so we could improve this forum.
Bonehead

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ibrahim said:
There is no common bond (other than being banned from another site) to bring in new members.

Interesting, I was going to stay out of this one but got to thinking why am I here and not at the site that supposedly so many people were banned from. I don't think many that are here are banned at any other sites. But why am I here, it is not because I was banned but the way I was treated. I had a few posts that were deleted, a pm was sent to me and I asked why, but no answer. I made a reply one time in regards to parts not being available and basically said "that no matter what company it is, waiting months for parts is unacceptable" and I was reprimanded by not the moderators but one of the administrators and again when asked never got an answer back.

It just seems like the upper level management at the place I think we are all talking about doesn't give a rat's ass about any of it's members. And that's why I am here. I can say what I want, I can get in discussions with people and we all get along.

It's just a more friendlier place all together.

Last edited:

Carm

I dont post much on any forum that i visit, however i check every day and post when relevant. I like the concept of an ecclectic forum such as this.