• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For Sale: HYDROSTATIC Thiokol Imp 1977 - RARE

Vance

Hi all,

The Hydrostatic Imp (yes, hydrostatic!) is for sale now by a friend of mine(neighbor).

This is in good condition. You may contact the seller from the info below. If you would like any additional info or pics, I will be in the area on Sept 6th.

He is only selling it because he needs a full size groomer cat to push snow.

This is a great cabin access or utility cat.

Here's the link and a couple pics,

Vance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190248833026&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Ad text (edited for clarity)
Here is a rare 1977 Thiokol Imp hydrostatic snow cat. From what I am told Thiokol made about six hydrostatic Imps as prototypes. Imps and Super Imps are typically brake steer transmission driven, which is a thing of the past. Any 2-track snow cat made today is hydrostatic. So this cat moves like a newer one meaning you can spin this cat around in the same spot. It has hook-ups in the rear for a small groomer or a log splitter or anything you want to run that is hydraulic. It has a 4-way blade on front. All lights, wipers and the heater work. While most Imps have 4-cylinder motors this one has a straight-6 for extra power. Comes with a lumber rack which can be removed without tools or you can wrap a tarp over it and you'll have a covered cab for people to ride in the back seat (fits 2-3), plus the two standard seats in front. All hoses are in good shape, rubber and grousers on tracks are in good shape. Could use two new tires in left back, tires on right are all good. Has an extra radiator in back for heat for people riding in back. Driver door window is cracked but still working. Snow cat is located at Donner Summit, California. Pick up only. I'm willing to drive it onto trailer if you have it shipped. It has ~7,500 hours on working Hobbs meter. Please feel free to call Mike with any questions: (530) 613-2764.

Attachments

• 97ba_3.jpg
    97ba_3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,611
  • df2e_3.jpg
    df2e_3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 9fea_3.jpg
    9fea_3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,585
  • 9c14_3.jpg
    9c14_3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,593
  • acd3_3.jpg
    acd3_3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,598
  • b91a_3.jpg
    b91a_3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,582

Vance

No crap!! What is the top speed?

Hmm, I'll have to ask the owner on the speed.

But, it seems to move like any other Imp. (except that it can spin circles!) Seems on my Tucker and most cats that the top speed is limited more by the drivetrain/tracks than anything else. I know that I get worried any time I get my Tucker around 15mph - too much metal spinning in circles around me...

Vance

Vance

This Imp is still for sale. He got intimidated by the ebay thing. I'll pass on price and addl info from the owner as soon as I get it.

More later,

Vance

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Can you comment further about the eBay intimidation thing? He didn't like putting all the info out there or ??? Just curious.

Vance

Can you comment further about the eBay intimidation thing? He didn't like putting all the info out there or ??? Just curious.

It was just the managing of the ebay auction. Not his bag.

I'll be putting it on ebay for him very soon. I can't divulge the price but if you want you can always call at the number above and make an offer.

Vance

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
There it is... this was the original post at the top....7,500 hrs!!!! It was just recently posted on eBay again and it was listed with 900 something hours.... sometin' funny with this one.

From above: "It has ~7,500 hours on working Hobbs meter. Please feel free to call Mike with any questions: (530) 613-2764."
I don't have the 2nd eBay auction...but it was listed there with the 900'ish hrs in that add...

What's the scoop Vance?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hi all,

The Hydrostatic Imp (yes, hydrostatic!) is for sale now by a friend of mine(neighbor).

This is in good condition. You may contact the seller from the info below. If you would like any additional info or pics, I will be in the area on Sept 6th.

He is only selling it because he needs a full size groomer cat to push snow.

This is a great cabin access or utility cat.

Here's the link and a couple pics,

Vance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Ad text (edited for clarity)
Here is a rare 1977 Thiokol Imp hydrostatic snow cat. From what I am told Thiokol made about six hydrostatic Imps as prototypes. Imps and Super Imps are typically brake steer transmission driven, which is a thing of the past. Any 2-track snow cat made today is hydrostatic. So this cat moves like a newer one meaning you can spin this cat around in the same spot. It has hook-ups in the rear for a small groomer or a log splitter or anything you want to run that is hydraulic. It has a 4-way blade on front. All lights, wipers and the heater work. While most Imps have 4-cylinder motors this one has a straight-6 for extra power. Comes with a lumber rack which can be removed without tools or you can wrap a tarp over it and you'll have a covered cab for people to ride in the back seat (fits 2-3), plus the two standard seats in front. All hoses are in good shape, rubber and grousers on tracks are in good shape. Could use two new tires in left back, tires on right are all good. Has an extra radiator in back for heat for people riding in back. Driver door window is cracked but still working. Snow cat is located at Donner Summit, California. Pick up only. I'm willing to drive it onto trailer if you have it shipped. It has ~7,500 hours on working Hobbs meter. Please feel free to call Mike with any questions: (530) 613-2764.

That rear "heater" looks more like a cooler for the hydraulic oil. Kinda looks vulnerable there without any shields to protect it from a branch impaling it.

Hope he sells it without any problems, there are a lot of scammers running around.

Nice photos!

Vance,

whatever happened with the Imp? I could use a road trip if your buddy is still selling. Definately curious about the Hobbs meter though. Let me know.

Steve

Vance

Sorry guys - been busy for a bit.

The Hydrostatic Imp has been sold.

It was all on the up and up. The new buyer was happy and picked up the cat right away.

The orig 7500 number in the first ebay ad was an error. I confirmed the hour meter readings for the second (ebay) ad.

This was a very cool Imp and I'm sorry he sold it. He is a neighbor at my mtn property. But, he replaced this cat with a BR275!! No more whoops in the road anymore... just smooth courdoroy...

Vance