• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HST Engine braking

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I saw this on another forum where we discuss the Kubota RTV (which has a HST transmission)

The poster is looking for a description on how HST engine braking works. I've got the concept down but having difficulty putting into words that make sense.

Here's the post. Can anyone provide me/us a good description?

It was asked, does the engine do the braking on the RTV coming to a stop. Or is it really the hydro-transmission. I know we all call it a engine brake. But, really, what will be the right answer to tell 'em folks who ask.

I explained to them how the " Jake" brake, or engine brake works on our Peterbuilts. Or compression release engine brakes. They still look at me with doubt. And the statement then comes in to the effect of, " ok, well how does it work on the hydro-transmisson. " Confused [*-)]

The questions has been asked from several local folks, and then, read it on another site .......

sleeper

bczoom,

I don't know about the RTV but for tractors the Hydro does the braking not the engine. I say this because my wheel horse garden tractor is a hydro and the engine runs at a consistent 3400 RPM, but when I go down hills the machine remains at a constant speed....it won't pick up speed while going down hill unless I manipulate the hydro lever. My Kubota BX22 acts the same way. Soooo I would be led to believe that the braking is in the Hydro system not the engine. Now, as to how all of that works...I haven't got a clue.....sorry.

Jeff