• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Captured from the Wild - 1950 Tucker 443

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
. For long life with the rollers, use Lubriplate Low Temp grease.

sno-drifter, I've seen you recommend this before. A quick search shows there is more than one Lubriplate Low Temp grease. For example, Multi-Purpose Grease, Off White (presumably lithium based?), and Calcium Type Grease are all Low Temp variants.

Could you be more specific, and perhaps suggest a supplier that sells it at a discount?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
speaking for sno-drifter and that will never happen again,

i promise,

it is low temp, and he has used it on his "one owner" 1960 tucker sno-cat, 443, yup, his dad bought it new, and it still has some of it's original rollers on it, do remember one thing, he greased the rollers all the time. the high maintenance thing, he buys the lubriplate in 5 gallon pails, and it does not last long

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Pt. 17235 is on the 35# pale. Looks like Rob nailed it for you. I bought it from the local Lubriplate dealer. this dealer is no longer in business here. Must have gone away when I stopped my Sno-Cat service.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to carry the thread any further afield than it is, but: In the dim past I serviced tracking antennae which had to be usable from frigid to boiling. I had this mobil purple grease that was supposed to maintain a narrow viscosity over the temperature range. No, I don't recall the part number, but I have 2, 5 gallon pails left in my barn. What else than low temp should I be looking for. I think I paid like 300 a pail, so...

lmolson

Update:

Exciting news I followed a lead from JFarm and found one of the original owners of my 1950 Tucker snow cat. He used it in the Sierras transporting people and service crews; it was owned by Sierra Snow Taxi. He is pulling together some photos and stories for me. Exciting!

So I have been busy with new plugs, all new wiring, new fluids, belts and hoses After sitting 20 years the engine is running pretty good. I am now focused on redoing some of the interior and I ran into a rookie mistake. Everything about this unit has been 1950 Dodge Truck related and so I bid on a steering wheel from 1948-1950 Dodge truck on Ebay and actually won. Once I got it I decided to actually look at the sad steering wheel on the Tucker. It appears to have been welded on to the shaft. My question is how modified is this shaft? What was suppose to be there? I assumed a 3/4" tapered spline, but all I see is the shaft and a 1/2' of threads or so. Thanks for any help.

Lance

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 279

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need a source/dealer for the 172 lubriplate, Applied Industrial Technologies carries it. tube, tub, pail, drum. Your local store or applied.com

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, but two or three of those 5-6 went to Australia . . . So was just curious what was up with this one. And how the steering was modified.