• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mail order mattress company -vs- store bought?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a TempurPedic memory foam mattress.

Its old. I like it. Its time to change.

Damn thing was nearly $3000 when we bought it many years ago. Replacing it with another similar TempurPedic will cost in the neighborhood of $5000, or more.

Distant relative of mine bought a LOOM & LEAF mattress via mail order. $1500 for a king size. Its memory foam, blah blah blah. He told me he and his wife love it.

Actually has a slightly higher rating (1% higher) from the Sleep Like The Dead mattress comparison website than the TempurPedic brand, but there are fewer consumers who rated the newer LOOM & LEAF brand.

Anyone buy a mattress via mail order? Any thoughts?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just ordered a mattress off the internet.

Hopefully we like it. It comes with 120 days trial period so if we don't like it we have plenty of time to go to the various mattress stores and test out other brands ... or simply to buy another TempurPedic.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think I could order one off the internet. I'm a kinda touchy feely guy when it comes to my bed.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think I could order one off the internet. I'm a kinda touchy feely guy when it comes to my bed.

One way or another we are getting a new mattress.

If I go to the store I know my wife is going to pick out a $4000 - $5500 TempurPedic.

Figured this was worth a shot. Its $1600 delivered, set up, and they haul out the old mattress too.

If it doesn't work out I'll go to a mattress store and pay whatever my wife demands I pay ... and then send this one back. But if it does work out then I've pocketed a bunch of savings.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I did some mattress shopping last fall getting quotes. I looked strictly at split king adjustable beds. Full price for one is 11000. But on a sale itd be much less.

Nice thing about a split king mattress is you can pick the firmness level for each side.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hard time shopping for a mattress. You can't really 'try it out' at the store. They can feel okay for a minute or two but it takes me a night to really know. We got a good deal on a New Englander Mattress 4 o 5 years ago (a local mattress company, co workers wife was in quality control dept there). We had had a New Englander for 17 years prior and were happy with hit so ...we went for it again. The new one is a much thicker mattress and has a pillow top on it. Pillow top sewed into the mattress means you can never turn the mattress over. I'm sure that will shorten the life of the mattress.

I also bought one of New Englander's Temporpedic knock offs. Man that was one heavy heavy mattress. I had it on the spare bed downstairs and then gave it to my son and his wife when they wanted to upgrade to a King size. This one was only 7 or 800 so I'm sure it was not the same as a real temporpedic. I can't imagine paying $3000 for a mattress, let along $5000. :eek:

Very interested to hear how your buying online experience plays out Bob. Them setting up and hauling away the old one is a huge plus.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I should have it in 2-3 weeks so...

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
What a timely post!!!

We've been a Sleepnumber family for 'way, 'way over a decade. That mattress saved me from years of back pain. It's special!!!!

It just so happens that we were in a Mall a couple of weeks ago and went into the Sleepnumber store. My wife had the idea that she would like the newer version of our king with the individual controls to raise and lower the head and foot of the bed. It was only $9500 but it was on sale at a $1000 off. That's still a hell of a price to pay for what is essentially an air mattress. Now, I don't know of many beds where you can adjust each individual side of the bed to the sleeper's preference and they can dress it up with all the doo-dads that they want but it's still an air mattress. I wouldn't want to be without my Sleepnumber but paying $8500 to replace the perfectly functional one that we have ..... the jury is still out on that one.

Let me know how your new mattress works out.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . they can dress it up with all the doo-dads that they want but it's still an air mattress. I wouldn't want to be without my Sleepnumber but paying $8500 to replace the perfectly functional one that we have ..... the jury is still out on that one.

Let me know how your new mattress works out.

Well that is similar to my position. We are happy with the memory foam mattresses, but in the very end, they are basically a fancy foam pad. Dress it up, split it into 2 sides and motorize the incline, blah blah blah but its still just a fancy foam pad :hammer:

How much are you paying for the store? The advertising? The reputation? Its still just a fancy foam pad :hammer:

So I'm giving Loom & Leaf a try. Honestly with a 120 day trial period we should have plenty of time to figure out if its going to work or not.

I ordered the medium-firm (because my wife picked that out) and they offer an exchange if we don't like that level of support so I can go up to a firm mattress during that 120 period. And if, as we approach the end of that period it still doesn't work, we just have them pick it up and give us back our money (minus delivery/setup fees) and we go to a mattress store and lay on their beds for 5 minutes while we decide to buy one the traditional way ... and spend exponentially more $$$ on what is still just a fancy foam pad :hammer:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a little late to this thread, but hey...

We bought a memory foam topped mattress last summer, and never again. Both the wife and I have "memory" holes in the places we tend to sleep. :unsure: And neither of us are on the heavy side of life...

We noticed this in a few weeks time. Conversations with friends tells me most are having the same issues with their memory foam topped mattress. In the store were we shopped, only the higher end mattress's have the top covered in this memory foam. I don't remember seeing one that did not have it. I wonder if it is more of a marketing tool for sales, not for good sleeping. Just my 2cents worth.

Regards, Kirk

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
These places are supposed to give free returns so the risk is low. Probably a bit of a hassle getting a king size mattress drop shipped so it will be interesting to see how Melensdad's experience works out.

Stayed a hotel with a Beautyrest Black mattress and it was so nice that both my wife and I commented how well we slept - and I had to look to see what it was. Probably going to try one of those next but I also want to upsize to King so I need to buy the frame and stuff too.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a little late to this thread, but hey...

We bought a memory foam topped mattress last summer, and never again. Both the wife and I have "memory" holes in the places we tend to sleep. :unsure: And neither of us are on the heavy side of life...
We have been using memory foam mattresses for close to 20 years and love them. This will be our 3rd. The 1st one was good, not great. I think it was a Serta or Sealy knock off of a TempurPedic. We liked the comfort of it but it didn't seem to last long. Our current is a decade(?) old TempurPedic. Love it, but showing its age. Most people seem to like memory foam, they are consistently the highest rated of all the different types of mattresses by consumers, but they are not for everyone.

These places are supposed to give free returns so the risk is low. Probably a bit of a hassle getting a king size mattress drop shipped so it will be interesting to see how Melensdad's experience works out.
The way I figure it is we are going to replace our mattress. Might as well try this one. If it doesn't work out we have plenty of time to go to the store and buy one we will like before this one would be returned. But this one is rated 1% higher than TempurPedic, so the odds are probably in our favor since we like TempurPedic.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New Loom & Leaf memory foam mattress was delivered about noon today.

Climbed into bed about 3pm to test it out while doing some reading.

Some quick observations.

It said it was 11" thick but it looks thicker. It is probably 1" thicker than our old TempurPedic.

While it is not a "pillow top" style mattress it feels like one. The top inch (or two) seem a bit softer than the underlying support foam. So when you climb on the bed you settle in a little bit but you don't really sink.

Every new memory foam mattress I've ever tried is firm when new, but after a short break in period they tend to soften up a little. This Loom & Leaf mattress is firmer than the now departed TempuPedic. Not so firm that it is uncomfortable but clearly on the firm side of the support spectrum.

At this point I'm already happy with it. It will be interesting to sleep on it tonight to see if I change my initial opinion but I don't see returning it based on the initial comfort. Obviously 1 night is not a good test, 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years from now I hope to still be happy with it ... but time will tell.

What I can tell now is that $1600 delivered is a lot better than $4000-$5000 for a comparable TempurPedic. Even if it has a slightly shorter life-span, which is not something that can/should be presumed, it looks like it could be a heck of a value.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 73

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ME: I like this bed :flowers:

WIFE: Not so much :sad:

So that is our first night impressions.

I appreciated the fact that I was not sucked into the foam like what happens when you get onto a well worn/worn out memory foam mattress. As memory foam wears out you tend to sink into the mattresses, you still are supported but you sink deeper into the foam. This, being new, that effect does not happen. It has an inch or so of softer foam, and you sink into that layer but then the support (memory foam) layer tends to hold you with reasonable firmness.

The lovely Mrs_Bob was apparently missing the feeling of the well worn TempurPedic.

--------------

So first night is a MIXED review. That said, it took us about a week or two to really adjust to our first memory foam mattress. Took another week or two to adjust to the TempurPedic when we got that one (our 2nd memory foam mattress). So I suspect the same will happen with this one.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAY (night) #2:
ME: I like this bed

WIFE: Much better​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think we are already settled into this one and its a keeper.

Certainly opinions could change in time, we have 4 months to test this thing. But I see no reason, at this point, why we will send this back and go shopping for a mattress.

I will probably buy a mail order mattress for my daughter's apartment when she starts up law school this fall. Actually I may buy one of those brands that is shipped, compressed & rolled up, in a box because that would be easier to schedule. The Loom & Leaf that I have is delivered and set up like any normal mattress you buy from a mattress/department/bed store. But there are some brands that ship UPS. They do it by compressing the air out of memory foam, vacuum seal it and roll it. I'll need to do some research but that sure sounds like the easy way to get her a mattress without me having to expend a lot of effort :hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, it's been a little over two years ... how do you like the mattress?

I'm in the market now and was looking at what they are calling 'cooling' mattresses. Interesting idea for me. Wife could care less.

Looking at Dream Cloud which is in the price range of what you paid two years ago. They say it is: "Premium Memory Foam, Breathable Coils, and a Cashmere Blend Euro Top for Supportive Sleep
customer review ...
“Dreamcloud’s memory foam supported me, while the topper created a truly serene and satisfying sleep environment. I’ve never felt more restored.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good topic to return to.

Not happy with this mattress. It is NOT as good as a Tempurpedic. The lovely Mrs_Bob seems particularly unhappy with it. I'm OK with it but still can't recommend it as I believe it is a bit too soft. Some of the threads in the top stitching have come loose for no apparent reason. The edges of the mattress are not firm so if you sit on the edge you tend to slip off the mattress as it compresses under your weight.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Perfect timing. We bought a split king motorized bed in may when we moved. I like the adjustable part of it but the mattresses came in two options. Firm or soft. I chose the soft one while my wife chose the firm at first. Hers was equivalent to laying on the floor to sleep meanwhile mine is like sleeping on a soft pillow. She decided to exchange hers for one like mine. You can try it out for a month and exchange it if you don't like it. While soft is good for my back, I find that I sweat like crazy every night as I sink right into it. We'll make due for a few years but now that we have the adjustable bases, we only have to swap out the top mattresses in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Bob. Thanks for the update.
Anyone else have a mattress they've had for a few years and they are happy with?
Tempurpedic sure sounds good but it is out of my price range. Hoping I can find a good king size mattress for less than 2k.

Bamby

We had a tempuredic we paid good money for for years ourselves before it developed a big sagging hole in the middle. On another forum I frequent at that time there was a extensive thread on mattresses and especially for the price and comfort the clear winner was "Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress" which is available through Amazon, "and please utilize Doc's link". I have to admit here and now though mines now going south itself but I think I have been using it for at least ten years, maybe even a few more.

Bannedjoe

A few years back I bought bed and a relatively firm mattress at big lots.
We then went to costco and got one of those 3 or 4 inch memory foam pads for it.

Still quite happy with the setup.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We previously had a queen mattress with a firm memory foam top. It was comfortable. When we moved and got the king bed, we kept the old mattress in the garage as it was only 4 years old. I was going to list it for sale till a lightbulb went off. Hey, the camper mattress is a queen and sucks. So we swapped it out with the old one. Only problem is that it is twice as thick. So I built a small platform for each side of the bed so we could get into bed. It's cramped but comfy.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bamby

Mine has since failed and in frustration I flipped it up on it's side and looked at her. It had a zippered on outer shell so I opened it up to see just what I had. It was made up of three layers of foam of different qualities.

So what I up and done was to take the cover off the mattress and flip it around and reinstalled it. So what I have now is a much firmer mattress without any holes and I can again sleep through the night without waking up flopping like a fish trying to make my way back up to the headboard several times a night.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to other things moving to top of list I have procrastinated on a new mattress. Wife has not complained lately so I have time for now. For sure will be waiting till after the 1st of the year ....maybe till next spring. :D

Are folks going with memory foam because it's cheaper than conventional or because it gives a better nights sleep? I'm still not sold on memory foam as we've never had one but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I seem to be hearing more negatives than positives on them though.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Last week the wife and I broke down and ordered a new memory foam mattress at Mattress Firm during the black Friday deal. This will be our first one so we will see how it works out for us. The deal was ok but you still can spend a bundle on the memory foam mattresses. Money does not matter as much as comfort and longevity at this point for us.

Two years ago we purchased a new king mattress and it was replaced under warranty once already but it already has deep impressions and bumps. We spent a good amount for this mattress and it is junk so we will try a memory foam. We have never had a mattress breakdown like this one and we paid more for this one than any others in 50 years.:ermm: