• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1404 IMP gas tank removal

Impy

Anyone ever remove the gas tank from an Imp? I need to get it cleaned as there apparently is crap floating in the thing that clogs my fuel intake tube and then the engine dies.

The tank lays on the driver side of the drive shaft tunnel. It can't be slid forward or backwards due to framing, and the front cab back wall doesn't allow a straight-up pick.

Can't drop it out the bottom because of the spring mount tubes being in the way.

It looks like the drive line and protection tube need to be removed and maybe rotating the tank onto its side may be possible. Was hoping not to have to tear it up that much though.

Someone have any experience here?:sad:

desertsnow

In short, yes, the drive shaft and tube will need to be removed. At least that was the conclusion i came to when i took mine out...

Attachments

• fuel tank 1.jpg
    fuel tank 1.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 449
  • fuel tank 2.jpg
    fuel tank 2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 410

Impy

Were you able to pull it from the deck side, or drop it out the bottom somehow?

I see in your pics you disconnected your steering hydraulic lines. Was that really necessary as well?

And just out of curiosity, what is the cable going from the rear end towards the cab? Is that a shift cable of some kind?

Thanks for the info though. Helps a lot.

desertsnow

I did pull it up through the deck side. I do not believe there is any other direction it can exit.
I had disconnected the hydraulic lines for other reasons, but i believe this will make it a bit easier, but i don'r recall if it was necessary. I can't find any pictures that illustrate how they were routed....
The cable you see is the parking brake cable. This is connected to the same linkage as the slave cylinders.
Hope this helps!

Bobmog

I also removed my tank through the deck. I did not remove the brake lines, just disconnected the coupler between the hard and rubber lines like in the photo and had enough movement to push them over to clear the tank. I also did not have to disconnect the drive shaft or tube, it was a tight fit but did slide in and out, one of the more difficult issues was the tank bands.
Good luck,
Bob

Impy

Thanks Bobmog. Since you had success w/o pulling the DL and cover, maybe I can be so lucky as well.

Really appreciate the input guys. :wow:

Bobmog

Impy please let us know how it comes out. What are you going to do about the tank?
I had the same problem with the rust and corrosion plugging my filter. I had a radiator shop boil out the tank and coat the inside. So far so good that was several years ago, I hope it holds up. In my tool/survival kit I keep several feet of fuel line, a 12 volt fuel pump and I carry a can with extra fuel anyway, that way if need be I can by pass the fuel tank and filter. I think if it happens again I will have a new tank made, I have heard stories about the recoating not holding up, but again so far it seems to be working fine. Please let us know about your tank removal and what you do to restore the tank.
Thanks,
Bob

Impy

At this point I am too buried with a down site to work on the Cat so I'm dragging it up to Bellingham to Stan at Northland Diesel Service and they are going to work it over.

Stan has been my savior transporting me up to the site with my cat down and has been a terrific help at the site, including helping me to lug two 100# propane tanks out of a storage hole and into a building so we could plumb them into my system.

Stan is a good guy and he has a really nice smooth cat that gets up and down just fine, even when I misguide him as to where to turn. Things look so different in the wintertime.

Impy

Have not seen the tank afterwards yet, but we decided to have it cleaned and coated. Originally wanted to replace it with a custom made version but was too hard to justify the expense.

When it 1st plugged up I had to leave it, suspecting a bad fuel pump. I purchased an electric in-line pump and some hose and returned to install and re plumb it. That got it home OK, but the next time out when it quit I knew I had a plugged inlet in the tank itself.

Talking with Stan the other day, he has it back on the OEM pump and it runs fine. So I will likely leave the electric pump in place and when I have time arrange selector valve and add the lines so I can use either mechanical or electric pumps.

And by the way, he was able to get the tank out but removed the D L in the process.

YurtinCat

Did you change your fuel filter prior to tank removal etc? If so, where do you access it? i have the same machine, thank you!