• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Walmart apparently selling items produced by slave labor:

Loudmouth

Site Supporter
WOMAN FINDS NOTE FROM ‘CHINESE PRISONER’ IN PURSE SHE BOUGHT AT WALMART

A woman in Arizona said she made a stunning discovery inside a new purse she bought at a Walmart: A note apparently written by a desperate prisoner in China.

Laura Wallace found the message, written in Chinese, tucked inside the zipper compartment of the purse she purchased at a Sierra Vista Walmart, KVOA reported.

Wallace had a Chinese-speaking person translate the note to English. The letter read:
“Inmates in the Yingshan Prison in Guangxi, China are working 14 hours daily with no break/rest at noon, continue working overtime until 12 midnight, and whoever doesn’t finish his work will be beaten. Their meals are without oil and salt. Every month, the boss pays the inmate 2000 yuan, any additional dishes will be finished by the police. If the inmates are sick and need medicine, the cost will be deducted from the salary. Prison in China is unlike prison in America, horse cow goat pig dog (literally, means inhumane treatment).”

Two other people translated the note to make sure the message was accurate, Wallace added.

https://nypost.com/2017/05/01/woman-finds-note-from-chinese-prisoner-in-purse-she-bought-at-walmart/

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guess this is no surprise. While the story may, or may not, simply be urban legend or lore, the fact is that communist China is still a dictatorship even with its adoption of western business practices for its export businesses. So I would totally believe that this story could be true.

tinbender

I worked in Beijing China for a couple of months about 15 years ago. The Chinese laborers that worked with us told us that Chinese prisons in large cities were factories and that if you didn't work you didn't eat. . In remote areas if you went to the local prison and there was no factory, if your family or friends didn't bring you food you didn't eat. We saw no evidence of crime where we were working. The laborers were extremely scared of ever going to jail . Think that is called a deterrent. Personally, I have no problem with that system. Factories abusing the system ,don't know. Possible. What system have you ever heard of that did not have some report of abuse? We never heard or saw a police siren the entire time we were there. I don't believe we should be paying for prisoners keep. There needs to be a method for them to pay for their own keep. Don't like prison don't break the law. This should get conversation going.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...The Chinese laborers that worked with us told us that Chinese prisons in large cities were factories and that if you didn't work you didn't eat. ... Don't like prison don't break the law.

Seems reasonable :hammer:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
WOMAN FINDS NOTE FROM ‘CHINESE PRISONER’ IN PURSE SHE BOUGHT AT WALMART

A woman in Arizona said she made a stunning discovery inside a new purse she bought at a Walmart: A note apparently written by a desperate prisoner in China.

Laura Wallace found the message, written in Chinese, tucked inside the zipper compartment of the purse she purchased at a Sierra Vista Walmart, KVOA reported.

Wallace had a Chinese-speaking person translate the note to English. The letter read:
“Inmates in the Yingshan Prison in Guangxi, China are working 14 hours daily with no break/rest at noon, continue working overtime until 12 midnight, and whoever doesn’t finish his work will be beaten. Their meals are without oil and salt. Every month, the boss pays the inmate 2000 yuan, any additional dishes will be finished by the police. If the inmates are sick and need medicine, the cost will be deducted from the salary. Prison in China is unlike prison in America, horse cow goat pig dog (literally, means inhumane treatment).”

Two other people translated the note to make sure the message was accurate, Wallace added.

https://nypost.com/2017/05/01/woman-finds-note-from-chinese-prisoner-in-purse-she-bought-at-walmart/

I am sure that they aren't the only store that sells this crap.

Why are we doing business with the country that brought us Tiananmen Square?

1) Because they sell crap cheap:

2) As long as they are selling and we are buying they are on our side.
Wouldn't you rather have billions of Chinese armed with nukes on your side than as your enemies?

3) The biggie:
The largest portion of U.S. debt, 68 cents for every dollar or about $10 trillion, is owned by individual investors, corporations, state and local governments and, yes, even foreign governments such as China that hold Treasury bills, notes, and bonds.
Foreign governments hold about 46% of all U.S. debt held by the public, more than $4.5 trillion. According to the Treasury, the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more than $1.24 trillion in bills, notes, and bonds or about 30% of the over $4 trillion in Treasury bills, notes, and bonds held by foreign countries.
In total, China owns about 10% of publicly held U.S. debt . Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy.
https://www.thoughtco.com/how-much-debt-does-china-own-3321769

10%
Yeah that's a lot of money.

This stuff is nothing new.
My dad lived in China in WW 2.
He said the peon workers were paid a double handful of rice a day.
Father's sold their daughters in to prostitution.

Why do you think they had a Communist revolution?
They felt they had nothing to lose.

Is it right? No but is there a damn thing (without causing nuclear war) we can do about it?
Probably not.

rugerman

"Don't like prison don't break the law" all well and good but first you have to get that thought across to the bleeding heart crowd that want prison to be a country club with no work, a state of the art gym, tv in every cell, you name it. Prison should be a place that you don't want to go, not a place to bone up on your criminal skill set at the taxpayers expense!

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am sure that they aren't the only store that sells this crap.

1) Because they sell crap cheap:

2) As long as they are selling and we are buying they are on our side.
Wouldn't you rather have billions of Chinese armed with nukes on your side than as your enemies?

3) The biggie: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-much-debt-does-china-own-3321769

10%
Yeah that's a lot of money.

This stuff is nothing new.
My dad lived in China in WW 2.
He said the peon workers were paid a double handful of rice a day.
Father's sold their daughters in to prostitution.

Why do you think they had a Communist revolution?
They felt they had nothing to lose.

Is it right? No but is there a damn thing (without causing nuclear war) we can do about it?
Probably not.

Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy.

To me, that's the dangerous part. When you start borrowing money from yourself you're screwed.

In the real world it's called kiting and it's illegal.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Within the framework of forced labor, what is the difference between China and Cuba? None. Yet we are eager to have trade relations with Cuba.

It is not our responsibility or right as a nation, to tell, and demand of other nations, what is a human civil right.

To the point of the OP Wal-Mart is hardly alone in it's use of China's communist economic/societal model. even our own Government Motors uses China's industrial might and low cost labor to produce Chevy's and Buick's.

This along with every other Auto MFG in the world.

Kia/Hyundai is one of the fastest growing brands in the USA. All built under the same model.

WITHOUT RESERVATION, WE AMERICANS BUY THESE PRODUCTS.

But as for the OP, we don't have to buy the crap story it pretends.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
If buying from China bothers people, they should buy American. OK, I know that is what democrats hate, good ole fashion nationalism, but screw them, I love my country and we need to support the products of this country, so with that I am submitting a site that is a directory for American made products.

http://americansworking.com/

Hope you find what you are looking for.