• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Air Compressor

jwstewar

I've been wanting a new air compressor for awhile. I've been using a 33 gallon Crapsman since 2003. Still works, but getting louder and louder especially at the top end. Combined with the fact it isn't keeping up with the air flow how we are using it now, I decided it was time to upgrade. I do computer consulting on the side, one of the companies I work with does air compressor maintenance, but they also sell the "little" guys. So he presented me with a couple a QT-54 - 3600 RPM 15.x CFM and a QT-5 1800 RPM and 17.3 CFM. Almost double the price, but sound was important. :) So I'm now the proud owner of a Quincy QT-5 80 gallon compressor. Got in February, because of other things in life, it took a bit to get everything finished. I insulated the wall behind it and installed a disconnect box for it. I then plumbed it in on Saturday and got it bolted to the floor. I got a regulator for it as well as an auto drain valve. The drain valve is timed, it can scare the crap out of you if you aren't expecting it.:yum:

The best part, no out of pocket money. Trading labor for it and sold to me at their cost.

Attachments

• 20180331_154153_resized.jpg
    20180331_154153_resized.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180331_154213_resized.jpg
    20180331_154213_resized.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180331_154401_resized.jpg
    20180331_154401_resized.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180331_154414_resized.jpg
    20180331_154414_resized.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 43

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd never heard of Quincy compressors but it does look like a nice one.
I was putting up with a 1978 20 gallon one in my garage and had been wanting to upgrade for quite a while. I finally pulled the trigger last month. My primary objective was to get one that would get up to 150 psi so that it would be enough pressure for my nail gun that I use a couple times a year. Looks like yours goes way over 150 psi. :thumb:

I went cheap. Noise was not a concern as it does not operate that often or that long. So I bought a 26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor by Central Pneumatic. I've had their little 17 gal 120 psi compressor in my pole barn for a few years and it has worked when I needed it to. It will run my nail gun but ...I have to give the final wack with a hammer to seat the nail all the way down.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice.

I have an older 33gallon upright Craftsman. Probably the same model you just upgraded from? In hindsight I wish I had gotten a more powerful compressor, but at the time it was overkill for what I thought I would use it for.

Looking at yours makes me jealous!

jwstewar

I'd never heard of Quincy compressors but it does look like a nice one.
I was putting up with a 1978 20 gallon one in my garage and had been wanting to upgrade for quite a while. I finally pulled the trigger last month. My primary objective was to get one that would get up to 150 psi so that it would be enough pressure for my nail gun that I use a couple times a year. Looks like yours goes way over 150 psi. :thumb:

I went cheap. Noise was not a concern as it does not operate that often or that long. So I bought a 26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor by Central Pneumatic. I've had their little 17 gal 120 psi compressor in my pole barn for a few years and it has worked when I needed it to. It will run my nail gun but ...I have to give the final wack with a hammer to seat the nail all the way down.

Quincy is the top of the line when it comes to compressors. Like I said, this is one of their baby ones. They service all of the big units that run most of the big shops here in Columbus, most of the cement plants, and the biggest clients are most of the hospitals in the state.

My old compressor would do 150, this one will do 175. I have the output regulator set on about 110 right now. I eventually want to do an air system so I can have individual drops, but I also want to finish the walls and ceiling before I do that - and the goat barn gets a ceiling first, LOL.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good deal on a great compressor but I don't need anything that expensive for my occasional use. Mind you, that's what I thought when I bought my first "real" compressor all those years ago.

I did upgrade last year to a Porter Cable upright from TSC with more volume and higher pressure for the shop and also a Porter Cable pancake for mobility. The old, noisy, clapped out Campbell Hausfeld that has served me well for the past 15 years or so got moved out to the barn. The only thing that it'll be used for out there is airing up tires on lawn and ag equipment and blowing dust.

For some strange reason we all seem to undersize our compressor needs when we first purchase. I know that I did.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
2 hints:

1) Buy a desiccant drier for the flow you have. The kind where you can regenerate the desiccant by baking in an oven. The desiccant itself changes colors as it gets soaked.

2) Fer cryin out loud - an adjustable wrench?

jwstewar

2 hints:

1) Buy a desiccant drier for the flow you have. The kind where you can regenerate the desiccant by baking in an oven. The desiccant itself changes colors as it gets soaked.

2) Fer cryin out loud - an adjustable wrench?

1.) A dryer is definitely on the need to add list. I'll see what they recommend.

2.) I was being lazy :bolt:

jwstewar

Very nice.

I have an older 33gallon upright Craftsman. Probably the same model you just upgraded from? In hindsight I wish I had gotten a more powerful compressor, but at the time it was overkill for what I thought I would use it for.

Looking at yours makes me jealous!

Here is my old compressor. There is supposedly someone going to come tonight and buy it. Getting $130 out of it. It is essentially paying for the disconnect box, OSB, insulation, breaker and stuff that I used to get the new one working.

BTW, the new compressor is 17.2 CFM at 175 PSI, the old Craftsman is 6.4 at 90 PSI. Just a little increase in capacity.

Attachments

• 20180225_211336_resized.jpg
    20180225_211336_resized.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180225_211325_resized.jpg
    20180225_211325_resized.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180225_211316_resized.jpg
    20180225_211316_resized.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: