• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

RED TAILS (the movie)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took the family to see the new movie RED TAILS and loved it.

MV5BNDQ5MTg2NzI4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDM2NzQzNg@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

First, let me say some of the dialog is a bit weak, especially those scenes that take place in the Pentagon with Cuba Gooding Jr. Honestly I think he was miscast, but also I think the dialog in some of these scenes was simply thin and needed more background. In all fairness this is a 2 hour movie and adding more background would have required a longer movie.

Second, the flight scenes were great. As were most of the actors who portrayed the pilots. The personal interaction between the pilots, them facing their own demons, their personal lives, etc were are portrayed well and it was easy to feel empathy for them.

red-tails-new-poster.jpg

There is the expected stereotypical bigot in the Pentagon, there is also the stereotypical white who supports the black's rights. Again this is where some of the thinnest dialog exists, don't worry, these scenes are not very long!

This is not the best WWII movie ever made, but its a good flick to watch. It doesn't really over glorify the "Red Tails" and their squadron, but it does offer a nice overview of them and some of their hardships. In the movie only 1 pilot died, in reality scores of them were killed. The movie, if you didn't see the scrolling details about the squadron at the end, would leave you to believe they were simply invulnerable. In reality many of them gave their lives, and in reality they were one of the best squadrons in the sky.

Suspend a bit of your disbelief and go enjoy the movie. Its fun to watch, pretty inspiring, and you'll learn a few things too.

Many of the critics gave the movie poor reviews. The movie doesn't deserve those. Its one of those movies you enjoy watching despite its faults. Good flick.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanx for the review. I'm pretty cheap so I most likely will wait for the DVD (I do not even have BluRay yet, LOL). I'll put it on my radar.

According to VideoETA is comes out on DVD in May.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We went because my daughter could earn extra credit for her history class if she turned in a ticket stub and wrote up a couple page paper about the squadron (not a movie review, but a short research paper).

The movie was actually fun to watch, enjoyable.

Its one of those movies where you enjoy it while you watch it but afterwards you sit around talking about the shortcomings. Well worth watching, despite some thin dialog. Honestly I think the movie would have been better if it centered around the plight of the pilots during their years of training at Tuskegee, rather than their accomplishments as pilots, but then that would have been a lot less fun to watch and maybe should be more of a documentary?

So Red Tails is a good flick, even if I wished it would have had more background.