• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Car Rant!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm in the auto glass business. The engineering and manufacture of American cars is amazing to me.

The Saturn Ion is the biggest piece of sh!t ever made!! Example: The windshield wiper posts are mounted on plastic. If you unbolt the wiper arms and wiggle them off (like any other car) you will break the mounts. $250. It is necessary to use a gear puller to get the wiper arms off. A gear puller won't fit under the open hood.

Every Saturn model and the re-badges are crap for one reason or many.
No wonder this company went out of business.

Late model F150s: Plastic, plastic, plastic. You can't hardly touch the thing without breaking parts. Side molding are held together with paper thin plastic brackets that can not be disassembled without breaking them. The cowling below the windshield is held with-- NOTHING! It pops into place with (guess) plastic tabs. Junk.

Chevy Trailblazers: Crap. Windshield wipers that mount like they were forgotten in the design. A cowling that has hidden fasteners that are near impossible to remove without breaking...

VWs are my favorite to work on. Well designed cowlings and moldings. Robust manufacture... Hondas aren't bad. Toyotas can be a pain.

I could go on and on.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
remember the ford astro king of plastic and POS used to hate to see one come in for a tune up i would rather change plugs on an impreial with a 440

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They hire young design engineers right out of college who never worked on their own cars growing up. All they know how to do is merge layers on a cad system and make plastic tabs that snap lock with no thought of the poor bastard who has to get it apart. Plastic is great in some applications but very unforgiving in the cold. And very expensive to get replacement parts.