• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone changed ST4 brakes before?

AKdadio

My '67 ST4 has zero braking, bought it that way and have not opened it up to see whats going on. I will also admit that this cat is new to my home and I haven't even had a chance to really see what's what. However, wife and kids are leaving town soon and NOW daddy can spend time with his girl-friends (track rigs). Any threads already on st4 brakes? tips from someone else who has replaced brakes?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
First off DONT let the kids inside they will start turning the steering wheel and brake all kinds of unreplacable things! OK so its one unreplaceable thing but its still unreplaceable!

LYNDON has a thread on Snow Trac brakes. They are standard VW brakes and are EASY to change and cheap. About $100 bucks and you have new everthing!

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm in the middle of the job now and have not been able to locate the parts in AK. Not at NAPA, Shuck's or Carquest and there is no VW dealer in Fairbanks. I am going to end up ordering them online. You find a source in the valley, please let me know.

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
zero braking,Alaska 120 has had first hand experince with no brakes!He got ran into on trail last year by a snow trc that didnt have any brakes.I still dont think he should have parked in my way! If Any one finds a good
place to get brake parts let us know

AKdadio

Read Lyndons thread, thanks sno-ops. This sounds like a more-than-a-day project- any feel for that? Any Alaskan guys done this already? I'll provide beer and turn the tools, you "supervise".

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Days work would be more than needed. There very simple. Hell I took mine apart in about 10 minutes. lol So shouldnt they go back on in 10? lmao! If you set aside a whole day you should have them compltely rebuilt as long as you have EVERYTHING needed and you dont need to take any trips to the local VW hippy shop!

dansvan

I looked at the manuals, crossed the part numbers and came up with original Volkswagon part number 211611047 for the wheel cylinder. This was the part number on the 66-74 model Snowtracs that I checked. This is a rear wheel cylinder for a type2 and the 80-85 vanagons and 86-92 synchro. I called my parts guy and he said the number was good from 72-92. They had 7 in stock.

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I ordered the parts last week and prepped the SC this weekend. I have 'inside' brakes. I had to remove my muffler to get the parts disassembled and perform a good inspection. Other than a few bolts being stubborn, its not bad.
I am not planning to head south any time soon to drink some suds with you but I'll be glad to discuss it with you if you would like. Just PM me and I'll get you my number.
Jason

KRC

I just got the wheel cylinders and brake shoes for my 1962 from esteys auto on Kings st. in anchorage. ordered the master cylinder on line at www.autopartswarehouse.com it was a Beck Arnley Item number 072-8024 delivered to Anch. cost was $38.93 shipping was $16.50

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always did the brakes first thing After I had stripped a machine down which included removal of the tracks, transaxel and engine. Generally the Variator is in the way. The price I quoted was some years ago and that wasn't an Alaska price, it was a West Coast Lower 48 price, where VW parts are plentifull. Everything but the Special Drums and the small diameter master cylender are still available.