• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ribeye steaks at Costco

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Beef prices are up over 20% since I bought the 2 in the pasture and they were $1400 back then. Feed prices are crazy high and so far have not dropped like they thought they would. Herds have really been slashed out west and it is just now showing in the prices. The next 18 months they predict tight supply and high prices.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And the cattle feeder is finding hard to make money with feed costs so high. The drought of 2013 is still priced in to feed costs. Record low numbers of fed cattle and not enough demand at an affordable retail price. Funny though how the retailer seems to always be the one who makes some $$ no matter what. That is if he can sell it, before it goes bad. Risky business, at $10 lb..

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
LongHorn Steakhouse has 'em for $12.00 and I don't hafta do any dishes. I might try that for a while till prices settle.

We so wanted to have our own on the hoof last year but my pasture is still only a dream. My neighbor has 14 head eating his down to the nub. Besides, I still have about 1/2 mile of fencing to set.

Given the beef shortage, I cannot imagine what calves will fetch next year. Perhaps I can get a good deal this fall. With all this rain,,,,, hay should be reasonable.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I know I was at the store today bought one puny steak think it was around 8 bucks tiny thing:sad:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Given the beef shortage, I cannot imagine what calves will fetch next year. Perhaps I can get a good deal this fall. With all this rain,,,,, hay should be reasonable.

Yes Franc the hay market will go down substantialy. But remember with record corn acerage out there, some hay ground is being farmed this year, rather than hayed. The price of calves will be set by the price of corn, for the most part. If a feeder can pencil in a profit, he will pay up strongly for the calves. With about 1.5 million acers of corn still unplanted, the price of new crop corn is on it's way up, but still nothing like the price of old crop 2010 corn that is about 75 cents per bushel more...

Had the corn crop been planted on time and completely by now, and we weren't inundated with excess rain, that new crop 2013 price would be nearly $2 less than the old crop price.

2013 is going to be another not so good year. We can safely say the top end yeild potential in already gone for my state anyway.

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They eat horse meat in France.

Dave has a barn full of horses.

2 + 2

Mama

I cut up my Costco card when the Co-Founder and former CEO of Costco spoke highly of Obama at the DNC. Sam's Club has some nice Ribeyes for $6.98/lb.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I cut up my Costco card when the Co-Founder and former CEO of Costco spoke highly of Obama at the DNC. Sam's Club has some nice Ribeyes for $6.98/lb.

We had them here, if you bought the whole loin for $6.99 cut and wrapped recently. Guess the retialer has some wiggle room, if they want. Unless in a local area there is not enough competition...

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Amen to that. i am surprised at the quality and price of SAM's club beef.
My freezer is full of it.

Kane

And the cattle feeder is finding hard to make money with feed costs so high.

Regards, Kirk
Feed prices would be a lot lower if we weren't burning so much corn in our cars. Another government scam gone bad with those pesky unintended consequences. :brows:

Have you ever noticed a sticker on the gasoline pump that says, “May Contain Up to 10% Ethanol?”

That’s a sign of a federal government mandate that is supposed to stretch fuel supplies but is also pushing up the cost of food – and driving some food producers out of business.
The federal ethanol mandate is destroying jobs, costing taxpayers billions of dollars, doing little or nothing to reduce our reliance on petroleum products, and pushing up the cost of food – for no good reason. Congress needs to revisit this subject immediately.

Impact of the Ethanol Mandate

The people who produce food animals – farmers, ranchers, poultry companies, and others – are paying more and more for corn because of the voracious demand of the ethanol industry.
It isn’t a fair competition because the ethanol producers have a market guaranteed by law: the fuel companies are required to buy ethanol whether they want it or not, or whether motorists want it or not. Food producers have to compete for what’s left.

As a result, the price of corn has skyrocketed

The price of corn used to make feed is actually the largest single part of the cost of raising cattle. This cost has been pushed way up by the ethanol program. Some of this higher cost has already been passed along in the price of beef. Due to competitive reasons, cattle producers have not been able to pass on the full cost. As a result, many of them are losing money and some have been forced out of business. This will probably lead ultimately to tighter supplies of beef and higher prices for consumers.

Once again, government has fucked the average American. The farmers get rich while you are made to eat cat food.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I just got a case of 45 day aged center cut and trimmed Prime New York slabs. Cut them up this weekend and vacuum bagged and froze them. except for what we ate Saturday!

You guys do not know what you are missing.

Seriously, go visit your butcher and have him get you some aged Prime steaks. You won't do Costco or Sams or whomever anymore after that.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously, go visit your butcher and have him get you some aged Prime steaks. You won't do Costco or Sams or whomever anymore after that.

We do that too. We've also had half a buffalo (Lord that was a challenge) and our freezer gets stocked when we have one of our own slaughtered and butchered at the packing plant. There's never a shortage of meat in our freezer.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got a case of 45 day aged center cut and trimmed Prime New York slabs. Cut them up this weekend and vacuum bagged and froze them. except for what we ate Saturday!

You guys do not know what you are missing.

I buy Costco prime sub primals in Cryovac and age for 6 weeks or so. Stopped buying when they went above $11. Last time at Costco price was 7 bucks or so. Now I'm back in business.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
my freezer is packed. we get cuts for less than most. even lunch meat. they dropped the price per lb. from $11.99 to $8.99 on 1, & gave the guy i sent to place my order 2 extra slices, on them. he is a vegetarian. he gave them to me.

the deli i buy food @ is so low-priced, i leave in awe. they make/process their own meats. now, my usual grocery uses a system of checks & balances. $1 soap & pricelocks. they then highly price lobster & cheeses in the cheese cave. spices went from cents to dollars, then dropped again. bacon has gotten astronomical in price.

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Just to clarify grades, starting from best to worst:

Prime
Choice
Select (Walmart's "Choice" it seems - my opinion, or maybe "Choice---")
Cutter (Use to be Walmart's "select - my opinion)
Canner

There's is a few more in between Select and Canner, but anything select and down is just crap. Unless you marinate it, beat it, inject it, boil it, it's all yuk.

Choice and prime also can be plus or minus.

Buying from a butcher does not guarantee quality, unless you specify Prime.