• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Photo for you

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
When I opened my greenhouse this morning, I saw this, so nipped off to get the camera. The bee kindly waited for me and I took these, thought you might like to see them

Attachments

• bee .jpg
    bee .jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 68
  • flower & bee 06.jpg
    flower & bee 06.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 63

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually I'd like to see your whole greenhouse!

I've toyed with the idea of building one but then I think about all the upkeep and that pretty much ends my ideas.
  • How easy/hard is it to keep up a greenhouse?
  • Do you heat yours for the winter or just use it to extend your seasons?
  • How is it constructed?
    • Wood frame, hoop style, aluminum frame?
    • Single wall glass, dual pane glass, plastic sheeting?

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Not too difficult to keep up the type of greenhouse that I have. Though I must admit that this is the first year that this one has been up. My previous one, several years ago, was second hand and in the field and the winds here smashed the glass to bits. The new one is a pack flat version sold at the local diy store and we erected it near to the goat shed on the concrete path that was already there. The positioning was done to try to give it some protection from the winds etc and also it is quite a good suntrap when the sun actually shines. I had to winter some of my inherited large plants of my mother's in a small wooden shed last year, as they were too big to go in the house. For some protection against the frost, I bought a small electric greenhouse heater and set that to come on if the temperature dropped below freezing. It seems it worked as nothing got caught by the frost and all survived. I shall probably use it in the greenhouse this winter. I will post some pictures for you as soon as I can.

Re the type of cactus, I don't know what it is, I was given several and many of them have lost their names. I just like the 'pretty' flowers!!!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Had to go out and feed the goats, so I took the camera with me.
1. New greenhouse and the position of same - outside the goat shed.
2.The wooden shed where I overwintered the large plants, it is a potting shed really, it is now in use as such.
3. Interior of the new greenhouse.
4. A view of the cacti, I think the one that had the bee on it is the one in front of the one with the large bud. This plant has a weird flower, purple and furry, I will photograph it for you if I am around when it opens.
5. The old greenhouse after the gales had finished with it. I covered it with polythene and used it for two summers, then I gave up - ran out of polythene! Note the dying weeds - I hope to level this patch eventually and have a lawn, the old greenhouse will probably become something else, so I am not getting rid of it, it has POSSIBILITIES!

Attachments

• greenhouse 007.jpg
    greenhouse 007.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 56
  • greenhouse 002.jpg
    greenhouse 002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 131
  • greenhouse 005.jpg
    greenhouse 005.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 61
  • greenhouse 004.jpg
    greenhouse 004.jpg