• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac Steering Wheel Swap

Anyone ever swap the steering wheel on their Snow-Trac with something more modern, smaller, and nicer?

I'm going to. Just curious if anyone knows of a direct swap part or possibly an adapter that would work. If not, I'll have to machine something custom.

Thanks,

Jay

luvthemvws

I can't vouch for a snow-trac, but I have played with more than my share of vws.
The Volkswagen Bus (type 2) up until 1968 used a tapered steering column shaft with a woodruff key to secure the steering wheel. Perhaps a normal, Grant (brand) adapter for that application will allow you to put the aftermarket, 3-bolt mount steering wheels on your cat.
I 'could' say that REAL SNOCATS (such as a Kristi) steer with brake levers and have no need for a steering wheel...but I won't.:smile:

That tapered shaft you're describing sounds just like the one in my Snow-Trac.

I hope so, anyway, because I just ordered a steering wheel for a 67 bus.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't vouch for a snow-trac, but I have played with more than my share of vws.
The Volkswagen Bus (type 2) up until 1968 used a tapered steering column shaft with a woodruff key to secure the steering wheel. Perhaps a normal, Grant (brand) adapter for that application will allow you to put the aftermarket, 3-bolt mount steering wheels on your cat.
I 'could' say that REAL SNOCATS (such as a Kristi) steer with brake levers and have no need for a steering wheel...but I won't.:smile:
I own both levers and steering wheels I could see my self saying the same but the tucker guys might get upset too.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cut off a cross country ski and fasten in the steering wheels place.

It was once said by a DNR officer that if it was steered with a ski he could not give a ticket for driving on a snow mobile trail :wink: