• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trailer Towing License Needed???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but do you guys think that people should be required to get a special license/permit to tow a trailer? Even if it is just a simple 10 question test for safety? Or perhaps when you buy a trailer you have to go over a safety check list that includes how to use it, and you & the dealer have to sign the form, and initial all the safety points and you have to keep it in your tow vehicle?

I ask this because I've observed several trailers lately that were obviously unsafe.

WORSE YET . . . I also had my cabinetmaker come to my house to deliver a new cabinet he is making for me and he was showing me his new cargo trailer. It was a thing of beauty, custom built to his specs, with all sorts of great details, added options, etc. As we were walking around and I was inspecting it I saw the electric emergency brake cable was not attached to the hitch ball. I mentioned it to him and he said he didn't know what it was for, or what to do with it! It was simply bound with a rubber band and dangling.

So I explained it to him, unbound it and showed him the loop on the end, explained it needed to go onto the hitchball before he coupled the trailer. I hooked it up for him. Now here is the scary part . . . he has another trailer at his workshop that he has been towing for years . . . and he told me that he had another trailer that broke loose, broke the safety chains and slid off into the median (fortunately without injuring anyone).

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt if it would either. I would imagine everyone here has had to take a driving test just to get our licenses. Almost everyone does. But how many irresponsible people do you see out on the road. Semi driver, motorcyclist even tractor operators.

Gatorboy

I guess if you'd like the Gov't to collect more $$ from all of us, it's a good idea -- other than that, I don't think it's necessary.

People still can't grasp the concept of slower traffic keep right -- so getting a driver's license didn't help them any.

daedong

Gatorboy said:
People still can't grasp the concept of slower traffic keep right
LEFT

[FONT=&quot]To tow a trailer or caravan it should be an additional test to the normal licence. It should incorporate both theory and a practical test. It is astounding the number of people that tow trailers that have no idea. In a pinch most could not back a trailer to save themselves. [/FONT]

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
[FONT=&quot]In a pinch most could not back a trailer to save themselves. [/FONT]
Vin, no need to talk nasty about me :yankchain:

And while I tend to agree with DaveNay's point, which has been repeated a couple times, I still have to wonder if there should be some sort of additional regulation for trailers.

As a commercial fleet owner, my vehicles are subject to on the road inspections by not only the regluar police officers (local, county and state) but also the roaving D.O.T. inspectors. Any commercial vehicle is subject to that added layer of inspection and my trucks have been pulled over on many occasions (are never been in violation of any safety infraction). However I think I've been driving more this summer, or perhaps I've just paid a lot more attention to the trailers and tow vehicles this year? In any case, some of what I see scares the heck out of me and I know it is unsafe and illegal and I wonder if it is just IGNORANCE of the person towing or if it is WILLFUL NEGLECT? In any case, I do my best to get around some of these rolling hazards.

So for those who suggest that an added license is NOT the answer, then I ask you all, what is the answer? :confused2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So I explained it to him, unbound it and showed him the loop on the end, explained it needed to go onto the hitchball before he coupled the trailer. I hooked it up for him.
Oh by the way Bob.....do you know what a likely point of failure is on a ball hitch towing rig? It's the threaded stud on the ball. If the nut is over torqued, it can stress the material. If the trailer hits a large obstacle or pothole, it can shear the stud and ball right off. Guess what this means if the safety wire is looped around the base of the ball? It stays attached to the ball, and never engages the brakes!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The safety wire should always be attached to a separate part of the hitch or vehicle, and not to the ball.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is scary. I know the first time I towed a trailer it was from Vancouver, Canada to Orlando, Florida. I learned a lot about trailers on that trip. I started in a snow storm too.

I've had some scary almost accidents over the years and am much more aware of the issues these days due to some of the horror stories on TBN.

There needs to be some form of education. I think back and basically I just bought a trailer hitch and started towing. I knew nothing about loading, safety chains, or any of that stuff. I remember getting a 3000 pounds of gravel and trying to tow it up hill in my 4 cylinder Ranger - that was an experience. I'm glad I didn't have to stop fast on that trip.

No information was ever offered to me at any point which is kind of strange really. It should probably just be a section of everyone's standard driving test - which I think is too easy as it is. At least, that might bring some awareness.

PB

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
DaveNay said:
The safety wire should always be attached to a separate part of the hitch or vehicle, and not to the ball.

Dave........ thanks.... you saved me the explanation. The only problem is that Bob won't be able to recognize any other part of the vehicle to attach it to. I use the break away chain, and affix it so if the trailer were to come loose, when the chain becomes taut, the brakes are applied. It also saves a lot of hassle when you take the trailer off, since the brake cable always stays with the chain. If I have a choice, I always like hydraulic surge brakes better for most trailers.... Junk.....

LarryRB

skurka says,
I still have to wonder if there should be some sort of additional regulation for trailers.
As a commercial fleet owner, my vehicles are subject to on the road inspections by not only the regluar police officers (local, county and state) but also the roaving D.O.T. inspectors. --------
Larry says,
I come at this in two different answers
first, the people who sell the trailers should be required to give a "go around" in terms of hooking up, safety, towing problems, etc, etc.. They should have a document check lists to go over with the new trailer owner and have that owner sign it. The seller keeps a copy and the new owner gets one.. On this check lists are things like the "breakaway" cable, which by the way, Junkman was correct in that it goes to a solid part of the towing vehicles frame or connects to one of the safety chain points.. This is in state MV regs,,., Tell people on windy days when a tractor trailer or large bus is coming up fast, ready to pass, to put a slight "drag" on the electric brakes, which gives the towed trailer, "control" until the other large vehicle has passed them. How to hook up, turn, back up, and most importantly, depending on what type of trailer is used, how to tie down whatever is being hauled. Here in Ct, any trailer over 10,000 GVW automatically goes through state DOT/MV inspection...
second,
Being an ex owner operator of tractor trailers and doing just over a million miles, and returning home any particular weekly run, more times than not, when parking at my in-laws garage, I couldn't go right home.. They ran 8 heavy wreckers and 4 small ones.
Many a time after parking the FIL would run out and ask me to run a wrecker to a particular scene, Many of these were small camper trailers, other types now and then. ALways were flipped on their side.,. Again, read above about dragging the electric brakes,, This would have stopped at least 75% of the flipped trailers,,,
The biggest concern I've always had are three lane highways,, This is to say, three lanes in one direction such as most interstates are today,.. The center lane is a truck and bus passing lane., Nothing more, nothing less... Over the last 35 years, the center lane has become the "travel" lane for cars, pickups, and both that pull trailers,,, It is illegal for one, and causes most accidents that I have witnessed over the years,,, Trucks and buss' can't get in their designated passing lane, and start to get antsy.. Cars will not get out of the center lane and the fun begins... Ever notice that it is rare to have accident pile ups on four or two lanes in one direction, but always on three lanes? I've personally yelled, and yelled loud at driving school instructors that teach these kids to get on the highway and immediately jump into the middle lane and stay there... Again, the cops first, should read the law,,, middle lane for truck and vus passing, which means cars should move left into the Monfort lane and allow the rigs by, then can go back center as they feel it is their comfort lane. Anyway, I digress,

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't been traveling the E-ways where most of the weekend/vacation toters frequent for the last month, but still see a lot of boatpeople and their feeble attempts at hauling. Now before anyone gets their panties up around their necks, I too, own boats, as well as a traveltrailer.
Some of these people have their heads so far up their butts, I wonder if they even know how to brush their own teeth.
One thing I would like to see happen, is have the cops pull them over for unsafe towing, lane usage, speeding, unsafe equipment, etc. That would be most likely a seasonal thing, but what a shot in the arm. Now tell me, when you see a 1/2ton pickemup dragging a 28'+ traveltrailer, with the back of the truck dragging down,complete with load dist. hitch and swaybars, you've got a problem. Either the guy who sold the trailer should be hung out to dry, or the new owner for not making sure they understand the proper setup. None of this is rocket science. The hitches come with very good instructions as to how to set it up for proper towing.
As I said, have the cops write them up, have the cops pay more attention to things other than big trucks. True, they make a lot of bucks off the bigboys, and they're an easy target. But, if they would pull over more of the little guy, the difference of ticket money may equalize.:burp::burp::tiphat:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think anyone that hauls a trailer should have to take a practical "driving while towing" drivers test.

My FIL wouldn't be allowed to haul with his. He only drives where he doesn't need to back up and can loop the trailer in positon. Calls me when he gets in a bind. :rolleyes:

If you ride a motorcycle and aware of trailer hook-ups you'll see the bad rigs close up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Oh by the way Bob.....do you know what a likely point of failure is on a ball hitch towing rig? It's the threaded stud on the ball. If the nut is over torqued, it can stress the material. If the trailer hits a large obstacle or pothole, it can shear the stud and ball right off. Guess what this means if the safety wire is looped around the base of the ball? It stays attached to the ball, and never engages the brakes!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I should have explained it better, but when I attach mine, I run it though one of the eyelets where the chain attaches and back to the ball. If the ball snaps and stay with the trailer, the brake cable will set. If the trailer slips off, the cable will set the brake. Its the way I was taught and seems to make sense. I see the point that you and Junk are making but don't see how this wouldn't do the same?

In any case, at least I was taught something. Here is a guy who was never taught anything, has been towing for years, has lost a trailer, and still had no clue what that little cable was to be used for! That is the point of the thread. People are apparently totally clueless.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I see the point that you and Junk are making but don't see how this wouldn't do the same?

Sounds perfectly workable to me. :D Your original post though made it sound as if you were attaching the loop on the cable directly, and only onto the ball. I brought it up because I have seen it many times, and it is a common (but wrong) method.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
As I said, have the cops write them up, have the cops pay more attention to things other than big trucks. True, they make a lot of bucks off the bigboys, and they're an easy target. But, if they would pull over more of the little guy, the difference of ticket money may equalize.:burp::burp::tiphat:
LarryRB said:
the cops first, should read the law,,, middle lane for truck and vus passing, which means cars should move left into the Monfort lane and allow the rigs by, then can go back center as they feel it is their comfort lane.
Well I suppose that if the police would enforce the rules the public would learn soon enough. There are plenty of rules that the police do not enforce but they seem to concentrate on laws like "speeding." Too bad, but probably the direct fault of our federal government. National highway funding is withheld if states do not meet certain criteria and there is a reduced level of funding if too many drivers speed/average speed of drivers is to high above the posted limits.

I suppose that since there is nothing on the federal books to withhold money for people improperly towing small landscape, utility or travel trailers then there is very little incentive for the police to inspect those, and therefore no tickets. Which is unsafe for all of us.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
johnday said:

who is going to educate them on the proper use of trailers and hook up? Most of them are not well versed on trucks, and that is why they have the special "squads" that pick on only trucks. Have you ever noticed that bussess are rarely ever stopped? I used to ride the Greyhound bus from NYC to MA once a month and the drivers never went under 70 and that was when the posted speed limits were 55.

LarryRB

Busses' are the worse offenders on over weights also.. They get out in the monfort lane, haul ass, and are never stopped., Because most all are receiving federal transportation monies, they skip by the scales also. I remember going to a few bus wrecks with my FIL.. All had short block engines and excessive weights, like auto transmissions and things, riding in the belly boxes. Can't say I blame the shipper-receivers either.. They were moving large car parts for next to nothing and totally staying away from LTL freight companies... But, when a bus wrecks, especially if passengers were on board,, they come out of the woodwork. Still, DOT looking at the extreme overloads in the belly boxes and not once did I see or hear of any tickets issued...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I use the break away chain, and affix it so if the trailer were to come loose, when the chain becomes taut, the brakes are applied.

BIMP.

Ya know Junk....as I was driving a couple horses to and from a show today, I was contemplating your method, and I'm not sure it is as safe as it could be. If the trailer were to become detached from the ball, the safety chains are supposed to keep it attached to the tow vehicle, and pointed in the right direction. If you have your brakes engage while the chains are trying to do their job, the extra drag from the brakes could be too much for the strength rating of the chain, and cause the trailer to break loose completely.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this....if you have a breakaway trailer, the shit has really hit the fan.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
You are obsessing over nothing. No matter where the break away cable is located, it is supposed to activate before the chains are taunt from the trailer leaving the ball. That is what it is for. With my method, it is always hooked up and you don't have to be thinking about it. The safety chains are to keep the trailer from dropping down to the pavement, and that is why they are crossed in an X under the hitch. They also keep the trailer from flying off completely. If you have the proper sized chains for the trailer, and have them properly installed, you should have no problem getting to the side of the road with the trailer, with minimal damage to the tow vehicle or the trailer itself. If the trailer starts to whip around, then nothing is going to save it, and there is a good possibility that the trailer is going to take you and the tow vehicle on a ride of your life. That is why it is best to purchase the best tow products that money can buy. It is one place that it doesn't make sense to skimp on quality. Ever have a trailer get away from you? I have, and it isn't a pretty sight. It happened when I crossed the rail road tracks and the load shifted.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Ever have a trailer get away from you? I have, and it isn't a pretty sight. It happened when I crossed the rail road tracks and the load shifted.

I never have, and I hope I never do.

Hauling two 1200 lb horses who are in the mood for doing a Cherokee rain dance can be quite an experience though. I can practically take a nap when towing a static load.

Oh....and I wasn't obsessing, just thinking out loud. :moon:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
If the trailer starts to whip around, then nothing is going to save it, and there is a good possibility that the trailer is going to take you and the tow vehicle on a ride of your life.
Don't we call that "pulling a Dargo"? :hide: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Follow-up note.

I pulled my trailer battery the other day (the emergency battery for the ele. brakes) to charge it since the trailer hasn't been used lately.

Put a .5 amp charger on it for a day and it still read that it was charging. I put the volt meter on it and it only read 1.6 volts. Not good. Time to get a new one.

For those of you with trailers with its own battery, you may want to check you're battery once in awhile.