• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

steering is slower to left -snow trac

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The steering is alot longer lag time to the left than the right on my 185 snow trac. It is about twice the time .It turns fine when it starts but is slow to respond. What should I be checking for ,other than track tightness and bad wheels?
My belt is 3/16 narrower than my new spare .I wouldn't think that would effect just the left. The trac rolls easily if you push it. I never had anyone watch the tracks while turning yet.
Jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
your varriator is out of adjustment there is a tn=ension adjustment top and bottom th ebottom always gets overlooked because it's a bi$#h to get to or one of the adjusting eyes are broke the latter is most likely the cause if this all of a sudden happened give me a call if you need help

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if it was sudden. I first noticed it during a test run in my snow free pasture. The steering wheel is centered fine. As you know This is still all new to me .I'll read the write up on adjustment and check it.
Thanks, Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,

My #267 is kinda like this as well, better on snow but once in a while in snow as well it fails to resopond, or as I unwind the wheel it suddenly starts turning....Also notice some times when it gets stubborn turning left, if I lift out of the throttle it turns around. But most of the time it turns left just fine, especially on snow. I have checked every thing except the tensioning cells that are set at the factory, with center punchs to lock them. (the ones the manual says not to tension the belt with) I am unable to see that the nested coil springs in the cells are broken, but the bottom set are hard to see while in the machine. We performed Lyndon's procedure for centering the variator relative to the center of the steering box as well. So I am like you, wondering if belt slip is causing this? or perhaps I over greased the variator shaft and contaminated a sheeve with grease? You would think it would be spead by the belt, and muck it all up, if grease was doing it. One other possibility is that our belts are just thin enough in width, to bottom out and ride on the nonload bearing inner face of the belt, causing it to slip, on one side but not the other... Before we adjust the belt tension and centered the steering box/variator it was, I would say, definatly bottoming out on one side of the variator sheeves. So adjusting helped, but didn't eliminate the issue. But it only happens occasionally on mine now. Don't know if it means anything but if you let go of the steering wheel it very slowly drifts slightly to the left. I am thinking this might be an issue with track lengths of each track however....but I am new to the Snow Trac as well....

So I will be watching this thread......:whistling:

Best regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
track tension will also cause this if you have too much track on hard ground it will be hard to steer the rear road wheel in the front set of boggies and center boggies are all that should be contacting the ground and the rear wheel should be floating only setting track tension

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Sometimes if you over grease the zirks in the engine compartment it will dump the excess out and get into you belt discs and belt. Check and clean your belt and anything inside the variator discs. Check for proper tension on the belt as well.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finished it new years eve. It took a new belt ,clean discs and losened some froze pins then adjustment. Works good now. It needed attention.
I did wind up with less steering wheel turn from side to side. I THINK it was from not compressing the springs enough. But not sure on that.
Jim