• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is the heaviest thing you've hauled?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our boat with trailer and supplies is beteen 5500 and 6000 by our estimation. Never had it weighed. I've pulled it with our 1/2 ton chevy for the past 6 years. This year I added an older Ford 1 ton to our stables. It's a dually with crew cab 7.3 IDI engine. What a difference it makes towing our boat.
Whats the heaviest thing you've towed and what do you tow it with?
Thanks!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know for sure the heaviest thing I've hauled but can recall some cases where I was waaaayyyyy over what I should have been hauling.

I would say my record for overloaded was:
Using a 1977 Dodge 1/2 ton with a 318 in it (and a couple mods to beef up suspension and HP), I put a 19' boat on top of the truck on what looked like a ladder rack. Boat was complete with V8 engine, and everything installed and probably weighed 2500#. Here's one that looks similar but has a smaller engine. That's just the start.
Now, I hitched onto a 25' cruiser with cabin and such. Here's one on e-bay that shows what I had in tow. Probably another 5000#.
OK, now that I've got it loaded up, drive that load from South Carolina to New York. My low beams were pointing towards the sky...

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My tractor when I brought it home.

Chevy 454 1 ton dump with a 14,000gvw trailer. Trailer, tractor and implements I guess t mate around 10,000#.

And no wish cracks about stackin chit that high and such.........!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My MIL :eek:

Oh crap, if she sees that, I'm claiming that one of you guys hijacked my account!!!:smileywac

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
What is the heaviest thing you've hauled? I hauled this home yesterday.........Does this count as heavy ?? : :whistle: :whistle:

Attachments

• case 450 trackloader.jpg
    case 450 trackloader.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 450 case trackloader 2.jpg
    450 case trackloader 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 306

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Way cool!! I had the same Case 450 high lift dozer when I was digging my lake, except I didn't have the "cool" bucket. Also, when hauling it once, I did get a "nice" warning by a D.O.T. cop. He allowed me to get off without any tickets if I called someone to come pickup my dozer with the proper equipment. i.e., he wouldn't let me move it from where he had stopped me.

I was towing it with a 1996 1/2 ton Chevy 4X4 with the 6.5 diesel. Yes, 1/2 ton! Apparently many people don't remember that you could get that in 1996. Anyway, I far exceeded not only my towing capabilities, by truck plate weight, my trailer weight, my trailer plate weight, but also numerous other "securing" violations. :eek: I was actually running in 4X4 low range through the city. :eek:

Oh well, you have one nice little dozer though!! I can rebuild your steering brakes, repack your lift cylinders, and change the hoses to the hydro pump (right on front of the engine) in my sleep! Make sure you keep the tracks at the correct tension. I killed 2 idlers; one because I had the tracks too tight, and another because I had too much slop in the tracks. I'm still amazed what a grease gun will move!!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh yeah, see where your exhaust comes up through the hood on the dozer? I still have a slight scar from getting burned by the exhaust when, by accident, I threw the dozer in reverse while tooling ahead at full throttle. :eek: Believe me, it will suddenly back up in a hurry!! I was on flat ground and didn't have my seat belt on. Therefore, I was literally launched out the front and caught the exhaust on my way out the front. :eek: To make matters worse, I had to get up and chase the damn thing down so it didn't back into my lake on it's own!!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I also had a 96 chevy 1/2 ton extended cab with the 6.5 diesel..( I thought I had the only one made ).......it was ordered by someone who worked at GM for their dad to pull a camper with. I went 1/2 way across Ohio to buy it thinking it was a 3/4 ton. I started to leave & they made me such a deal on it (it was mint, 40K miles & loaded) that I bought it anyway. I traded it on an '02 dodge diesel that I had before I got this current dodge. As for the 4 in 1 bucket, it's made almost entirely of welding rod !! :( ( one cyl mount is currently broken off) I'm looking for a good used bucket or a whole machine for parts if you come across one. The little 450 runs out well & the tracks are probably 80%.

Attachments

• broken bucket.jpg
    broken bucket.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 298

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My little armored Warwag. I believe it is about 8K. Not real heavy. I know the trailer was about 2,800LBS by itself. So I guess about 10,800 lbs. Nothing compared to real truckers!

Attachments

• 1919warwag1.jpg
    1919warwag1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 1919warwag2.jpg
    1919warwag2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 1919warwag3.jpg
    1919warwag3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 277

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW, you have a snow trac and a war wagon!!!! Awesome!

Did you fabricate the Warwag or pick it up at a gov suplus auction?

Is it street legal? Do the guns work?

Your one lucky duck. Someday we'll have to start a thread showing off all of our different toys. :)

Kubota King

I use a stock F 350 mason dump to haul a 10,000 lb excavator on my trailer while hauling 4 yards of topsoil in the back of the truck's dump body. Topsoil weighs 3000 lbs per yard X 4 = 12,000 lbs. The deisel had plenty of power & barely even knew it was hauling all that wieght but the suspension was scary! Every slight little corner made the truck sway so mucht that it felt like the truck was going to roll. I have do this a few times unfortunalty & guys around town here always tell me Dot is going to get me one of these days & write me a fine so large I wont know what to do. The ball jionts went on the truck at 35K & the dealer siad to me "what have you been carrying with this thing" & I replied " you dont want to know"

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Doc,

The Shorland Armoured (armor) vehicle was built in Ireland by Short Brothers. It was basically a re bodied Series III Land Rover with 5/8" armor. This one has the Inline six. The turret works and so do the guns. Thats a Browning 1919 in the turret. And those short round mortor things are smoke grenada launchers (they dont work). All legal of course. It is available to the Sheriffs Dept for high risk arrest warrants and such (they asked). They have not used it yet. Its a small vehicle but serves its purpose. I bought it for my Bugout vehicle but will be selling it soon (I now live in the most remote town in the continental U.S.). Its street legal and I have the license plate WARWAG for it. I dont drive it much since I need to rebuild all the brakes but the looks you get almost histerical! It would have been handy when I was trying to get the hell out of L.A. during the riots! (I will never live in a big city EVER again!)

:beer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi MIke ,

Now that I know you have this thing ,maybe I was a little rash in my description of your Snow Trac driving ability in the Kristi Forum.:pat:
Real working machine guns huh .... Boy ...I am sure glad you know I was kidding with my earlier statements !haha :whistle: I still meant all the other stuff about Bob though .
Say... You don't happen to know if he also has one of these things too , do you ???:eek:
Big Al

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl,
No insult was taken. ;) Ive actually sold most of that stuff (guns) now. I have a 1919 or two left that I will be selling here shortly. I'm a bit burned out on the whloe gun thing anyway. Besides linking up 2,000 rounds (hours to do) to shoot in a few minutes is not fun anymore. The kids dont want to do it so that leaves me now. I would much rather be up on the mountain with my family in the Snow Trac. Like to meet yah soon. Next winter for sure!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Mike ,

You mentioned the loniest town in America ?? That has to be off Hwy 50 , I think . Would that be Austin or Eureka ??? I went through there about 2 months ago picking up my Kristi in Colorado . Lots of pretty country out there .
Yes, we will have to get together and trade war stories . I have not done much on the Kristi since Dad became ill , but I am trying now . I would like to pick your's and Bob S's brain when I make a decision on the tracks .
Big Al