• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking to buy a dump trailer

k-dog

Some things have worked out and I'm in the market for a dump trailer. I'm looking for suggestions on brands or anything else regarding these trailers. I've rented dump trailers before and did some research.

Here is what I plan to use it for. I'm going to use it to haul wood, stone, dirt, etc as well as my B series Kubota with FEL.
I've narrowed my want list to:
7'X14' low profile with 14,000 pound limit low profile and need ramps
I've looked at Bri-mar, PJ's, Kaufman, premier and Big Tex some.
I'm leaning towards Bri-mar as dealer is close but loved the PJ except it is a lot more money and no close dealer. The Kaufman was less expensive but didn't seem as nice as the bed wasn't powder coated. Big tex wants too much info to give me a local dealer.

So help me spend some money!
I'll be pulling it with my new f-250 gas and most trips will be fairly local with few hills.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd stay away from the powder coat as when it gets scratched then rust starts working under it and it peels off. Whatever you buy and if it sits for long periods, park it so you can hook a float charger to it or put a solar charger on it.
Mike

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter
I have owned 2 different pj gooseneck deck over trailers, both were well built and held up to serious year round work. All I can really say is I was happy enough to recently order one of their largest gooseneck dump trailers 8x20 tandem duals with 4 foot removeable sides and ramps. I don't know how well their hydraulics hold up yet but the other pj were quality built so I'm staying with their line on this next one. Although I will be running the hyd live off the unit pulling it so i'm not too worried about their electric over hydraulic set up.

k-dog

After doing a lot of research, I'm leaning towards a PJ dump trailer as they seem to be the best trailer out there as far as the features I'm looking for, even though the dealer is a little further away than some of the others. I've requested quotes from several places and we will wait and see what their prices are.

k-dog

I picked up a PJ D-7 14 foot dump trailer with a 14,000 pound capacity. My F250 handles it really well. I'm looking to add a couple more items such as a weight distribution hitch but I have to get a bolt on type as the box for the hydraulics is in the way. I think I've found one on e-trailer.com that I'm getting. The next item I'm researching is airbags for the rear of the truck. Any comments are welcome such as pro's and con's, brands, etc.

dave_dj1

I had Firestone air bags, 3K version. I was very happy with them and they are cheap. I didn't get the inflation kit though. Each air bag only holds about a pint of air and can be pumped up with a bicycle pump.

If I would have seen this thread earlier I would have given my .02 on dump trailers. The low profile sucks for dumping wood unless you have a lot of room, it's so low that you have to spread the load a long way. Other than that I love mine and wonder how I ever got along without one.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a PJ D-7 14 foot dump trailer with a 14,000 pound capacity. My F250 handles it really well. I'm looking to add a couple more items such as a weight distribution hitch but I have to get a bolt on type as the box for the hydraulics is in the way. I think I've found one on e-trailer.com that I'm getting. The next item I'm researching is airbags for the rear of the truck. Any comments are welcome such as pro's and con's, brands, etc.

do you need an extra license for a trailer that large?

k-dog

do you need an extra license for a trailer that large?

I don't think so. I do have class B tags on my truck and have the weight currently at 20,000 pounds. I did some checking before and in WV as long as GCVW is under 26,000 pounds and it doesn't have air brakes then a CDL is not required.

I hauled 9 loads of horse manure for a lady the other day. Each load was about 7 yards and it handled it really well. When I was hauling my tractor back home, some idiot pulled out in front of me but the truck got it stopped in a hurry. I've been really please with this setup.