• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 542 steering help

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
My 1973 tucker 542 does not want to turn. The hydraulic pump seems to bypass when I turn the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to adjust the relief valve in the pump it is a vickers pump? Any ideas would be appreciated thanks, Jeff

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My 1973 tucker 542 does not want to turn. The hydraulic pump seems to bypass when I turn the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to adjust the relief valve in the pump it is a vickers pump? Any ideas would be appreciated thanks, Jeff

Can you get a picture or model of the pump?some of the vickers pumps have a
Roll pin holding the relief assembly in and the roll pin breaks or comes loose and it will not hold pressure

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Jeff,

In my limited experience, a failed packing in the ram sounds alot like a bypassing pump.

Stick a screw driver between your head and the ram while someone steers the orbital valve... If it sounds like a moving water... it is.

could be as simple as a popped packing in the ram??

Internally broken rams do the same thing but generally shove the ram out in both actuator directions...

Just $.02 worth.

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if it is a Vickers vtm pump I have about 20 years of experience with them I would put a gauge on the output side and see what your pressure is. it could also be a stuck relief valve a set of vise grips on the return hose could tell you that be cautious with rpm and bottoming the cylinder as with the relief disabled you can split the housing. if the veins or ring is wore out it is cheaper to buy a new pump at 600 bucks. I just bought one to replace my 20 year old pump which can no longer be cost effectively repaired.

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I changed the ram with one from one of my other Tucker's and I now have steering again thank you everyone for the help.