• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

any Interest in a J5 diesel conversion kit? possibly all bombardiers with the 251??

groomer08

hi all,
gauging interest, having a custom trans adapter plate made to run a kubota 4 cyl diesel in my J5 with the stock transmission, was wondering if i should have the data saved and possibly an extra plate made.
hopefully by January i hope to have this all worked out, what flywheel clutch etc.
pm me for more info.
just looking to help guys out so you dont have to wait as long as me!
going on a year with this J5 and no motor!

undy

Groomer,
I don't own a J5. But.
Given the new technologies for re-creating parts, if given the correct dimensions, etc., I'd suggest that you should definitely save the data. If your conversion proves to be a good improvement, others may well desire to follow your lead. My hat's off to you guys who design a successful modification for these old vehicles!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
hi all,
gauging interest, having a custom trans adapter plate made to run a kubota 4 cyl diesel in my J5 with the stock transmission, was wondering if i should have the data saved and possibly an extra plate made.
hopefully by January i hope to have this all worked out, what flywheel clutch etc.
pm me for more info.
just looking to help guys out so you dont have to wait as long as me!
going on a year with this J5 and no motor!

Is it done yet, need one yesterday:biggrin:

Most of the retros we do we use Allison 545 they both right up to some diesels the on
Y thing we had to make was a flex plate to flywheel adapter

groomer08

boggie,
i should have just went full on custom with a donor vehicle, it would have been faster.
i just didnt want to reinvent the wheel so to speak. my machine has ALOT going on, factory blade and 3 point hitch, also MASSIVE auxilary hydraulics to run a mower, and i wanted the option to keep those, and i figured that wasnt going to be a option if i started stuffing a random engine in there. the kubota has a splined front shaft after the aux pulley, so putting a pto on it to run the pump shouldnt be a huge deal.
I just want to drive the dam thing. coolest looking track vehicle ive ever owned, and i havent driven it yet!!
granted i know its a long road, i really need to bring the tub inside and go through all my axles and whatnot, but i figure they dont make these anymore, and its SOOO going to be worth it once it runs!!
also plan to turbo the kubota once its in there and purrrrrrrs.

akimp

If I didn't just spend a fortune on a Chystler 251 ci rebuild I would be going that route. I would very much like to see pics of your mower set up. I was thinking of running a hydraulic pump off my crank as well and don't know were to start any Info would be great.
I love my J5 :brows:

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 362

groomer08

I didnt get the mower setup with my J5, was just told it ran a mower for National Grid mowing high tension lines. I was told it was just hydraulic flail so it would cut grass or brush, minimal debris throwing. I was planning on converting a pto powered brushhog with a PTO splined hydraulic motor.
mine is similar to yours, bombi yellow, factory blade and 3pt hitch, and my REAR hood is flat, not tapered down towards the back like yours. mine also has minimal steel around the motor, all mesh.

IMP

Site Supporter
You have what Bombardier calls a "Tropical J5". It doesn't need a tight engine compartment for proper air flow through the engine cooling radiator. Similar to a car radiator design. My J5 was a tropical and I converted it to conventional when I restored it. I really....Really.....like my J5. Best moose hunting partner I ever had!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 321

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously?? That was pretty kick ass with some amazing scenery around your camp. And a nice bull to boot! Did you take that one or another?

IMP

Site Supporter
We let that one go. It was the first hour of the first day of a 10 day hunt and I knew there was bigger ones around. We found a 62" later in the week and made 4 other awsome moose stalks. And with a J5 you can haul in a pretty comfortable camp. Yea it was a beautiful place. Next year were going in a little farther. Can't wait!