• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bushing supplier

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've been working on the wheels/tracks/suspension of my J5 and need some bushings. Also called plain bearings.

They are like a small piece of steel pipe except for the price.
My Bombardier parts supplier wants $42 EACH for a 1/2 ID X 3/4OD X7/8 long steel bushing. Machine shop wants $55 for a cut down drill bushing.

These are the simplest form of bearing and I just can't seem to find them. Even a huge bearing supplier told me that they get many requests for them but have no source.

Does any one know of a source ?

Thanks

Eric L

Site Supporter
What type of material? does it need to be hard like a drill bushing would be?

Eric

Edit: MSC has these for $6-$9 each depending on qty... they want 50 bux to machine it down? MSC part #07132160

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have ordered a couple drill bushings and found a place called Connex that sells a spring steel insert but I don't know much about metal and how hard each component should be.

First pic is the bushings. Second pic is the "can" that has a spring inside and connects the front bogey axle to the rear tandem axle. The bushings go in each of the 4 connections.

Attachments

• jmJ5shockbushingOP.jpg
    jmJ5shockbushingOP.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 215
  • MJ5canW.jpg
    MJ5canW.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 213

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, Eric. Those are a possibility.

Probably need to use grade 8 bolts with a drill bushing ???

mkntrakes

i think that what you need to be looking for is an oil light brass bushing any bearing house should be able to get them

Eric L

Site Supporter
I'm still lost as to what these parts do...

1: bolt grade is not relative to the bushing type, but the load placed on the bolt is a consideration, typically grade 8 bolts are used for things like cylinder heads. few suspesion applications need grade 8, in fact many would be better with a grade 5. the grade 5 bolts will bend under load, but the grade 8 may break.

2: how fast or frequent is the motion on the bushing...it looks like its a pivot for the suspension...does it move constantly as you drive over the terrain?

3: I think a mild steel tubing bushing would work fine here as long as you keep it greased...how hard is it to replace? could it be a maintenance item to replace each season?
a sleeve made from DOM tube should be about a buck and a half if you had a bunch of 'em made at once.

Eric

:myopinion:
:snow_smi:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, Eric.

They are in motion when ever the machine is in motion. And subject to serious impact. They are not greaseable.

I've ordered some spring steel bushings and i'll see what I can cobble together :D

Thanks for your input :wave:

J5 Bombardier

Those steel bushings turn in the flat bar links at both ends of the spring pack. Drill the bars and install grease fittings as the originals were and squirt some oil into the spring pack where the rod comes out of the tube. Did you change the oil in the diff yet ?
J5 Bombardier

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
My machine did not have any grease fittings on these things and they don't show grease fittings on this part in the owners manual. I will be daubing some oil on them.

Yeah... changed the diff oil. Have some little leaks in the diff housing that I'll try to get welded in the spring.

J5 Bombardier

Yes the Bombardier parts manuals aren't that great, it seems some of the larger parts don't have a breakdown for the smaller pieces on them. The fittings could have been a later modification on those links, if you do install fittings they go on the edge of the bar and install them facing upon on the machine.
I started stripping the suspension on 1966 Muskeg carrier that sat for the last 2 yrs. Four walking beams( 2 seized on the shafts), 16 tires with 4 of them solids to be removed. 2 side rails with 1 seized requiring a torch,hydraulic ram and sledge hammer , but the diff looks good needing only two side bearings, if there is anything on these machines that can empty your wallet fast it's the diff.
J5 Bombardier