• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SEA SHEPHERD throws acid on Japanese whalers

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like the peaceniks are getting pretty violent.

Not sure about you folks, but I'm not a violent sort of guy, but you throw acid on me and there is probably going to be some 45 caliber lead flying your way at 880 feet per second. I honestly don't know why the members and captain of the Sea Shepherd are not locked up in jail.

Now I have no problem with them protesting. I have sympathy for their efforts. But I have serious issues with their methods. :hammer:

Japanese Whalers Suffer Injuries From Acid
by Stephen Messenger, Porto Alegre, Brazil on 02.12.10
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/02/japanese-whalers-suffer-injuries-from-acid.php

According to a report from the news agency EFE, yesterday three crewmembers of a Japanese whaling ship suffered injuries from corrosive acid thrown at them by protesters from the anti-whaling group, Sea Shepherd, in the waters off Antarctica. The environmentalist group, which has been dubbed by some a "terrorist organization," has been known to resort to militant tactics before in order to disrupt Japanese whaling vessels, such as lobbing stink-bombs and shining laser beams, but acid may be the most dangerous tool in their arsenal. While Sea Shepherd justifies its tactics as a way help end the practice of whaling, some are wondering if maybe they have gone too far.

sea-shepherd-throws-acid.jpg
Acid Injures Three Crewmembers
According to Glenn Inwood, spokesman for the Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research, three crewmembers of the whaling ship were injured in their eyes and face. Inwood confirmed that the acid was released by a boat from Sea Shepherd.

The protestors have admitted to launching acid at the vessels, but insist that the chemical is non-toxic.

Conflicts Have Been Getting More Intense
Recently, the conflicts between Japanese whalers and Sea Shepherd have been escalating. The environmentalists claim to have been "intentionally rammed" by whalers, and had one of their boats completely destroyed in recent weeks.

In yesterday's skirmish, the activists were relentless in their disruptive tactics--attempting to damage the whaler's engine, shining lasers to blind the crewmembers, throwing stink bombs, before finally setting on the use of acid, according to the report.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Not sure about you folks, but I'm not a violent sort of guy, but you throw acid on me and there is probably going to be some 45 caliber lead flying your way at 880 feet per second. I honestly don't know why the members and captain of the Sea Shepherd are not locked up in jail.

Now I have no problem with them protesting. I have sympathy for their efforts. But I have serious issues with their methods. :hammer:

Now this is just a thought . I am not a ballistics expert ,but I played one once in a movie :shifty:.
The Japanese got all those whale guts .?????

You give me a 8" diameter piece of heavy wall steel pipe about 8 feet long ,10 gals of fish guts and about a 300 PSI air source and i'll build you one hell of a air cannon that can send fish guts all the way to the Sea Shepards mother ship !

Disclaimer : Sometimes I even scare myself .....:brows::shifty:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A 50cal with plastic rounds for the first salvo and then it would be lead taking out their boats. That is terrorists not protesters.:hammer:

snakeboarder

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100212-1.html
"Japanese Whalers Shoot Themselves in the Face with Pepper Spray

On February 11th, during a confrontation between Sea Shepherd and the Japanese security ship Shonan Maru 2, an incident occurred that provided an excuse for the Institute for Cetacean Research (ICR) to issue a media statement accusing Sea Shepherd of injuring three Japanese crewmembers with butyric acid (rotten butter).

According to the ICR media release, the three men were injured when butyric acid splashed into their faces.

Captain Paul Watson doubted the story because butyric acid, which is essentially rotten butter, is non-corrosive, nontoxic, and organic. It does not burn nor does it cause eye or skin irritation.

In reviewing video footage of the confrontation, the Sea Shepherd crew discovered the real source of injuries for the three Japanese crewmembers. The three crew were indeed injured because they shot themselves in the face with pepper spray.

The video clearly shows three Japanese crewmembers on the deck of the Shonan Maru 2. Two of the crew are wearing metal tanks on their backs with nozzles in their hands looking just like the ghost busters. A third crewmember is standing by. The video shows the two crew with the tanks aiming their nozzles at the Sea Shepherd crew in an inflatable boat. The nozzles send out a blast of pepper spray towards the Sea Shepherd crew and the camera. However the wind was not in favor of this Japanese tactic and the pepper spray is blown back into the faces of the three crew, who can be clearly seen rubbing their eyes. They appear to be suffering irritation to their eyes.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will be posting video footage as proof that the media release by the ICR was a lie and an attempt to accuse Sea Shepherd of injuring Japanese crewmembers.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has never caused a single injury to any person since the organization was founded in 1977.

“I think this video absolves Sea Shepherd of any wrong-doing and demonstrates that the Japanese whalers routinely spin their stories to demonize our efforts to defend the whales from their illegal activities,” said Captain Paul Watson.

The Sea Shepherd ships Bob Barker and Steve Irwin have had the Japanese whaling fleet on the run for eight days without a single whale being killed. The Nisshin Maru is continuing to head westward and the fleet and the Sea Shepherd ships are now 2000 miles south of South Africa.

news_100212_1_1_Japanese_Whalers_Shoot_Themselves_in_the_Face_with_Pepper_Spray.jpg

"

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

joec

GOLD Site Supporter

Well as someone who has been told by others I've worked with that I'm stone cold when it comes to violence I would of simply ended it period at that moment. I tend to treat people respectfully regardless unless they make a wrong move, then all bets are off and they are either able or not. I am absolutely surprised he hasn't been declared a terrorist yet but I'm sure it is coming. I believe in his cause but not at all in his tactics one bit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
[youtube]0U1rINRY_RQ[/youtube]

I presume you wanted to show this video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1rINRY_RQ"]YouTube- Japanese Whalers Shoot Themselves in the Face with Pepper Spray[/ame]

Now bear in mind that I have not suggested that the Japanese have not done some silly things. In fact the Japanese admit to 1) killing whales and 2) defending themselves. The video above shows the Japanese defending themselves from the attacks by the Sea Shepherd.

HOWEVER this video does NOT in any way refute the original story that it was the Sea Shepherd that started the aggression. The Japanese ship is doing something that most folks find to be unseemly but the fact is that it is LEGAL for them to do it, just like it would be legal for me to load up my shopping cart with a side of beef. So when someone uses ILLEGAL action against someone else who is doing things within the scope of the laws, the only action reasonable is to arrest those folks who are committing the ILLEGAL action. In this case the Sea Shepherd captain and crew are committing the crime. The Japanese are simply DEFENDING THEIR LIVES from the attacks of an illegal aggressor.

Here in my state if I am out deer hunting and you come up and intentionally disrupt my hunt you will be arrested and thrown in jail. Hunters have rights too. There used to be "anti-hunting" activists who stormed the woods to disrupt the hunts. But our deer population has exploded and is so large that deer are now causing problems for suburban home owners, deer are being killed by cars in the roads, and deer are starving from lack of food and disease due to the over population. I suspect if hunters were hunting an "endangered" species then I would go out and protest the hunts. But the anti-hunters are gone because the public mood is such that the average person realizes the deer are above a healthy population. PERHAPS IF THE JAPANESE WERE HUNTING AN ENDANGERED SPECIES OF WHALE then the folks at the Sea Shepherd Society would get a lot more support. But until it can be shown (my an unbiased media source) that the Japanese are hunting some sort of endangered whale species then I don't think the Sea Shepherd Society is going to make much traction from their little film clips that show only 1 point of view. And I believe that their clearly criminal tactics of attacking the Japanese are actually turning away potential supporters and are simply showing themselves to be a criminal enterprise who's members should be jailed.