• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upgrades available for in dash Nav units / touch screens

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As has been said before, history repeats itself.

Way back when auto makers but lame stereo units in their cars quality aftermarket stereos came to life and replaced the majority of in dash car stereos.

Then car makers wised up and started putting quality stereos in cars so that you did not have to upgrade since the car came with decent stereo and good speakers.

Now the defacto standard car comes with a touch screen that does indeed include the stereo but it also has Nav and a whole lot more options. The manufacturers in dash units work, but leave a lot to be desired. In comes BOSS International Group (BIG). They will offer a CarPlay head unit for the lowest price point yet. $349.

Awesome!!!!

https://www.ceoutlook.com/2017/05/24/boss-gets-carplay-approval-349-deck/

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A word of caution if I may.

Car manufacturers integrate many if not all sounds through the stereo and wiring. This includes door chimes, turn signal clicks and such.

If you start swapping out components, because of the wiring differences, you may need to get a converter. As of a few weeks ago, those converters don't do the vehicle sounds (at least for the newer vehicles)

I've invested about $1500 into new amp and speakers for my truck. Because of the converter, I still don't have the vehicle sounds. A new converter is coming out that will correct this but I don't think it is on the market yet. http://axxessdsp.com/

Some of these converters can get up near $400-500. E.g. if your vehicle has the Bose system and you want to put in an Alpine receiver, the converter is $450 to connect it to your Bose amp and speakers. http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/kcx-bose-gm/

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you all can keep your new crap I will take an old simple truck with a turn signal flasher that clicks any day
what really pisses me off is the parts supply for my 89 dodge is drying up the manufactures are trying to force the new crap down my throat.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed about all the "crap" (I call it "stuff") in these new vehicles.

When I went truck shopping last Fall, I went with the middle of their trim levels. The higher end models had more stuff in it than I'd ever need. The bad part of this trim level was the stereo sucks.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the new stuff will come on with a rush. I sure hope so. The in dash unit on my RV went out last year. It's a unit from the RV manufacturer. I went to the dealer to see about a replacement. The price quoted was $1250 plus labor. I asked him if he knew how many Garmin units I could buy for that price? Needless to say that it still doesn't work. I use a Garmin trucker/RV unit and it works just fine. To be honest, the original unit did a lot more stuff than just navigation but it's a lot more stuff that I don't need and never use anyway.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Much the same with me Frank .... I sure do not use all the features on the unit. Nav, radio, CD, USB and Bluetooth sometimes. I normally do not couple my phone to the vehicle but once in awhile if expecting a call.

I did hear that Android has some replacement in dash units out that will give you options with Nav ..you can use Waze, google maps or any other GPS app that is available for Droids.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
As has been said before, history repeats itself.

Way back when auto makers but lame stereo units in their cars quality aftermarket stereos came to life and replaced the majority of in dash car stereos.

Then car makers wised up and started putting quality stereos in cars so that you did not have to upgrade since the car came with decent stereo and good speakers.

Now the defacto standard car comes with a touch screen that does indeed include the stereo but it also has Nav and a whole lot more options. The manufacturers in dash units work, but leave a lot to be desired. In comes BOSS International Group (BIG). They will offer a CarPlay head unit for the lowest price point yet. $349.

Awesome!!!!

https://www.ceoutlook.com/2017/05/24/boss-gets-carplay-approval-349-deck/

I am looking at that very unit for my truck. Sure would like to know someone that has one for an opinion. Let me know Doc, what you think when you get yours. LOL.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am looking at that very unit for my truck. Sure would like to know someone that has one for an opinion. Let me know Doc, what you think when you get yours. LOL.
LOL sure will TR but I'm not in a big rush. Toyota uses Entune. I would love to replace that and there is a unit that is plug and play swapable. and it will run the same apps as my iPhone. Perfect for me. But it's priced at 499 currently. I'll wait for it to drop below 400 ...at least I'll try to wait.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
get one of these nice simple cat engine no hocus pocus stuff to drive for you. it does have some nice things like centralized tire inflation, air ride cab mounting and delayed wipers, other wise its a truck you can drive.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 88

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had to replace my stock deck recently as the stupid thing would draw down the battery even with the key off. I just went with a basic Kenwood cd. It's got a usb port so I can connect my cell and play all my mp3 music. Does the job. I have a simple Garmin gps unit I scored off ebay for $10. It does everything I need. Got us around Toronto a couple weeks ago. I had been looking at a touchscreen unit but didn't want to get stuck with something difficult to use. I just took a quick look at my go to source (ebay) and there's a very similar boss unit to the above mentioned for $89. Might be worth looking into.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my truck has a doghouse the size of the kitchen table I just laid my phone on it and used the Samsung nav system on it worked just fine. they say no texting while driving but some of these new cars require more attention than a simple smart phone does.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
some of these new cars require more attention than a simple smart phone does.

Isn't that the darned truth. I'm waiting for a new C.U.E. unit to be delivered to the dealer so I can get it installed in the Caddy. I was driving it today and there was some dinging alarm going off and I have no idea what the hell it was ... except that it was friggin' annoying.