• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quick oil change places

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So first lets rewind this 3 years. We have quick lube places up here called mr lube. I had brought the old Durango into one for an oil change. They check everything. When I got home they called me and told me not to drive anywhere. A short time later someone showed up to the house to reinstall the drain plug for the rear differential. They forgot to reinstall it after checking it. I haven't been back to that one again. Today I stopped at their second location for an oil change. I've been using this location for both my vehicles for a couple years with no problems.
Fast forward to this morning. The "technician" (and I use the term lightly) came to the window with a stripped drain plug for the oil pan saying someone must have stripped it. I looked right at him and informed him that they were the ones who did my last two oil changes so I wonder who stripped it?!? Freaking morons. Grrrrr

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So first lets rewind this 3 years. We have quick lube places up here called mr lube. I had brought the old Durango into one for an oil change. They check everything. When I got home they called me and told me not to drive anywhere. A short time later someone showed up to the house to reinstall the drain plug for the rear differential. They forgot to reinstall it after checking it. I haven't been back to that one again. Today I stopped at their second location for an oil change. I've been using this location for both my vehicles for a couple years with no problems.
Fast forward to this morning. The "technician" (and I use the term lightly) came to the window with a stripped drain plug for the oil pan saying someone must have stripped it. I looked right at him and informed him that they were the ones who did my last two oil changes so I wonder who stripped it?!? Freaking morons. Grrrrr

Yup, that's why I do all my maintenance on my truck myself. If I screw up, its on me. That's why I love my FX/4. No ramps or anything to change the oil. Just crawl right underneath and the drain plug and filter is right there. :yum:

I realize since your accident, you may not be able to do that.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
X2 for me, TR!! Seen and heard of too many things like that happening. When I no longer can DIY I'll take my rigs to a trustworthy repair shop for service. So did the quikchange install a self tapping oversize plug? They work pretty well.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
X2 for me, TR!! Seen and heard of too many things like that happening. When I no longer can DIY I'll take my rigs to a trustworthy repair shop for service. So did the quikchange install a self tapping oversize plug? They work pretty well.
Mike

Yup, my good friend pays 50 bucks at an oil change place for the Castrol high milage synthetic blend oil, the exact same oil I run in my truck. The oil costs me $17.99 for 5 gallon jug plus $3.50 for the Motocraft Oil filter which is widely considered one of the best there is. I keep asking him how do you know you're getting the more expensive oil and not the cheaper stuff? Who gets an oil change and has the oil analyzed to make sure it is the right stuff. :yum: He also does not know what they are installing for a filter. Hmmmm.

I don't know. What I do know is I know what is going in my truck because I am the one putting it there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I don' have time to do it myself will go to the dealer for whatever make vehicle I have. The ones around here have oil change specials so that they are not that much more than the quick lube places. You do usually need an appointment but again, I feel it's worth it simply for peace of mind.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, that's why I do all my maintenance on my truck myself. If I screw up, its on me. That's why I love my FX/4. No ramps or anything to change the oil. Just crawl right underneath and the drain plug and filter is right there. :yum:

I realize since your accident, you may not be able to do that.
Nailed it. Until my accident I did all my own maintenance. Oil changes. Brake jobs. Changing shocks. Wheel bearings etc etc. I grew up helping dad on the weekends work on his logging trucks. If I'm having a good day I can still do a brake job since I'm not laying on my back on a cement floor. I've been screwed over at the dealership before as well and generally they charge you 1.5 xs what another garage will charge. I miss being able to throw on a set of coveralls and getting all greasy in the garage. That's part of the piss off. I mean, how hard is it to remove a bolt and an oil filter without stripping it? In 22 years of doing my own oil changes I have not once stripped a drain plug.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. I remember vaguely getting a jug of oil for that price about 20 years ago.

Even still. I get what he's saying. Buy a jug and a filter then crawl underneath. I've saved so much money over the years doing my own maintenance. Now it's at a point where I don't trust any garages to do the work. That being said I just booked the truck into the dealership to trace a vacuum line problem for my 4x4.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I used Valvoline for a long time. After I lost my first set of front U joints (4 Wheel Drive), I took the trouble to count how many grease fittings I had. I never told the "Tech" how many there were, I just asked how many they lubed. I have 8, I got answers like 6 and "Sir, your truck is sealed unit there are no fitting sot lube", and other forms of BS. I would ask for the manager and send them into the grease pit and they all came back ans siad they foung the others. On to the second and third set of fittings. Finally, as I pulled out, I went around to the parking lot and rolled under the truck to see that the fittings were not lubed. I got the manager, who told me I was wrong, rolled under with me and admitted that he was wrong. I pulled back in. Change of procedure. I was asked to turn my wheels ful left and full right. The manager told me that that is the only way they could lube those fittings.

Lot of money in that front end, all quick change incompetence.