• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker roller grease fitting

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty over the years but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

On the steel track Tuckers, what grease gun tip works the best? The three I have tried from the local auto part store put more grease on the ground then in the bearing.

I'm also finding that the tips I've purchased are soft and smear closed after a few uses.

I manage to get through it, but if someone knows of the right tip I can buy, I'd appreciate it.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Which version of rollers do you have? zerk? needle hole with check? pipe plug?

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Which version of rollers do you have? zerk? needle hole with check? pipe plug?

I have the needle hole with the check. Prior to greasing, I've gotten in the habit of actuating the checks with a small nail and that seems to help a bit.

Sno-Surfer

All I can add is that I also notice how the ends of the needle tip will close up after a while. Makes for a real good forearm workout. But once you open it back up I think it works ok. A bit of a pain to hold with pressure on the rollers but I get through it. Mine is just a generic one from Napa.
And by the way, I bought one of those lock on units for the zirk fittings suggested by Cidertom and I am real happy with it. Works like a champ.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
This is the skinny needle I've been using without much success.

aede3861a526bb4946c5be128dfbd7fb.jpg

I just received a text from one of the Tucker gods sharing their favorite grease tip. You can see the difference for sure. I may have to find a lathe and try fabricating one similar.

I wonder if Tucker used anything special or just relied on an off the shelf tip? I haven't seen anything like the short one at any of my local shops.

2377151ee810dee13d86ac2aca4cacc2.jpg

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never tried one, but have seen needle grease tips made with a hard rubber compound. Might be worth a shot if you can find one.

My lathe has needle grease fittings. They are a pain, but any other style would stick out too much.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think mine came from tractor supply. Broke and bent a few of the needle ones. Rubber one was similar to people’s view on rubber tracks varying.

Tbe blunt nose one similar to your pic works best and in the they are in the aisle at tractor supply: ? Countryline

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 2C5E953E-5928-485F-A4C7-5A9AA87C7AEB.jpg
    2C5E953E-5928-485F-A4C7-5A9AA87C7AEB.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 4B2BA4AB-88A7-4739-9DEB-2BF1FC7B13A4.jpg
    4B2BA4AB-88A7-4739-9DEB-2BF1FC7B13A4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 2AF6AE22-C256-4A35-B608-966F7D6A0B41.jpg
    2AF6AE22-C256-4A35-B608-966F7D6A0B41.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 9493E96C-6AFB-433F-A9F6-F0495FC6A715.jpg
    9493E96C-6AFB-433F-A9F6-F0495FC6A715.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 382

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This https://www.ebay.com/itm/142270117686?ul_noapp=true is NOT the fitting you want for Tucker steel pontoon rollers. Stick with the Alemite Z737.

Often a couple of the female grease fittings get distorted from contact with steel etc. In this case the grease will kiss you or squirt in your eye. LIGHTLY touch the offender with a three fluted countersink cutter on your drill. Don't remove any more matl. than necessary to give a good seal. Hopefully you don't have to hit that one again as it is easy to cut through the thin matl of the outer ball check.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried out the Alamite 737 today and I was amazed at how well it worked. Very little waste and seemed to be the answer to the hard to grease ones. Made greasing the rollers almost fun! Thanks MN Outdoors and Sno-Drifter for the tip..literally!

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes.. that’s the one! I bought two off of Amazon for $9.95/ea..these will make greasing your rollers a breeze. Tried all of the others and this tip by far is the best tool for the job. And a small nail or punch to open up any stuck check balls in the grease port.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Best tip for sure! We added this tip to our pneumatic grease gun, adjusted the pressure to about 25- 30psi and went to town. Like mentioned before, poke each check with a nail and a light touch with a countersink makes for a much cleaner application. We greased up 4 pontoons in about 30 minutes.[emoji106]

vintagebike

Almost finished reburbishing 1949 Sophie. Near the last on the list will be greasing the rollers for my first time. Do you use the Z737 fitting for her rollers with the screw off caps?IMG_6017.JPG

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what the eary roller fitting looks like when you remove the screw. Alamite Z737 works well with these.

Attachments

• Early roller.jpg
    Early roller.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 211

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Can some one post a pic of a bearing with a screw stop in it? Would like to know what they look like.

vintagebike

So you pressure pump in the Lubriplate at 25lbs or so till it fills up the insides and just starts to ooze out? I guess I should have paid more attention in Tracks and Rollers:1 :smile5:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Sno-drifter that does help I’ve never seen one and was curious. And Vintage bike you are correct. At least that is how I grease mine. Others may do it different. I was coached to fill until the water and some of the old grease pushed out.