• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Linux forum

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do we have any Linux users out there? Or any users fed up with Windows that want to try another OS on the same hardware ...or your old computer?

I'm working with it more and more, and the more I use it the more I like it. I have not completely abandonned windows but I'm working towards that.

I'd be happy to help others do the same.

This is not a top level forum, but it lives under the Computer and Electronics forum.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Do we have any Linux users out there? Or any users fed up with Windows that want to try another OS on the same hardware ...or your old computer?

I'm working with it more and more, and the more I use it the more I like it. I have not completely abandonned windows but I'm working towards that.

I'd be happy to help others do the same.

This is not a top level forum, but it lives under the Computer and Electronics forum.

I have been using Linux for a little less than ten years now (Red Hat 4.2), so I have a fair grasp of the OS. If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great Dave! I'm glad to hear I'll have some help.
I've been posting on linuxquestions.org with a link to FF. I think we have a few new member that know a bit about Unix also. I'm hoping to give them something to post about, and learn something in the process.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's an OS. I use it when I need to. I've got OS X as my main UNIX type platform so Linux is relegated to VMWare images.

I've used it on and off for over 15 years (original Slackware user) but I am not an expert and am not even up on the latest and greatest. I just do my research when I need to use it.

PB

beds

I've been using AIX for about ten years. AIX is the proprietary IBM version of Unix. Hey, does Linux have the vi editor?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck yeah it has vi! I ran AIX servers a few years ago. One of the better commercial Unix offerings I thought. Knowing AIX you'd be right at home on Linux. :thumb:

I have a couple old AIX servers in my computer room at home. Neither is running now, but just the other day I was thinking of brining them back to life.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
beds said:
I've been using AIX for about ten years. AIX is the proprietary IBM version of Unix. Hey, does Linux have the vi editor?

The CDE desktop used by AIX is very similar to OS X as far as the generic screen layout.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was hooked on telnet to. It just works darnit. But when going outside an internal network you gots to use ssh. I have now converted all my terminal sessions to ssh. Putty is a good client piece to use on a windows box to ssh to a Linux or Unix server.

beds

We've got all the proprietary x-windows clients available (Hummingbird), but telnet's what I know! And Doc, I can telnet into anywhere I have an IP for by doing an open .... statement.

It's probably a productivity hit to stay with telnet, but not as much as FF is. :)