• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Broke my Ventrac 3000 riding mower/tractor

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've been having a banner year for growing grass around here. Lots of rain to keep it wet and growing with some sunshine mixed in.

So what happens?

Looks like a relay or sensor switch of some type crapped out :hammer:

The little tractor has an electric switch to engage the PTO. I flip the switch and you can hear something TRY to engage, but it doesn't actually engage.

Of course, the local shop has a 2 week wait to get it repaired. I tried everything I know how to do, other than wait the 2 weeks, not sure what my options are.

On the bright side, I can mow about 80% of the property with the big tractor.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Run a jumper from the positive battery post to the solenoid on the clutch. If it don't pull in then be ready to drop big bucks for a new one.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, clutches can be expensive. I had the same symptoms on my ZTR at the end of the 2011 season. It was only six years old but the clutch was done. With the new clutch I drop the engine RPMS prior to engaging or disengaging the mower deck. Repair shop suggested that should extend the life of the clutch. Time will tell.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
11 year old thread, but I'm bringing it back to life.

The little Ventrac has been unused for the last few years because the lovely Mrs_Bob hired a guy to mow our lawn. He mows about 2.5 acres for us, charged $145. Worst part of that is that I actually enjoy getting out and mowing.

So this winter I got the tractor working again.

Mowed 1 time and the deck starting giving me grief. Ate one of the 2 belts I had. Fed it another one after adjusting some things. Ate the other belt. Damn.

Figured out last week, while ATTEMPTING to mow for the 2nd time this season, that a bushing and possibly a tension arm were bad. Called the local dealership (49 miles away) and they didn't have the parts for my ancient tractor. But by using the miracle of the inter webs, while I was on the phone with the parts guy, he looked up the factory inventory and they actually had them in stock . . . and would ship directly to me. Whipped out the credit card and spent under $50 total for the parts. Also picked up 3 belts ($30/each).

Parts arrived today.

Went out about lunchtime and took apart the affected area of the mower deck and reassembled with the new parts. Turned out a smart move on my part to replace both parts as both were badly worn. Installed 1 of my 3 belts. Works like a charm!!! Went out and mowed to my hearts content . . . right up until the tractor ran out of gas.

Home from the gas station. Lawn is finished. Everything is good again.

And all for about what it costs to pay the guy to mow my lawn just 1 time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my favorite chores is mowing the lawn. I have never asked or paid someone else to do it. Not even my son.
Pretty sure my wife thought she was doing me a favor.

And at the time she started it the tractor was broken.

Seems to be running great again. I'm not really sure how old it is, maybe 20 years?

I know that we replaced the Kawasaki 14hp engine several years ago, maybe 6 or 7 years ago when my sister-in-law "forgot" to check the oil level. I think my wife and I were hiking across Spain on an extended trip at the time. So the little tractor has seen lots of use and its share of abuse. What I know is, it is an astonishingly good little tractor and it excels mowing the slopes we have with the articulated body, ultra wide tires and 4 wheel drive.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Mower decks are a pain to maintain. I've got a 72" triple blade with a 3 belt drive system with pulleys and tensioner springs and belts. Seems every time I look at it I'm changing something. Thankfully I discovered that the idler pulleys that are $150 a pop from the dealership in southern Ontario are available on Amazon for $16.95

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mower decks are a pain to maintain. I've got a 72" triple blade with a 3 belt drive system with pulleys and tensioner springs and belts. Seems every time I look at it I'm changing something. Thankfully I discovered that the idler pulleys that are $150 a pop from the dealership in southern Ontario are available on Amazon for $16.95
I was pretty shocked that the repairs for this (formerly) problematic 54" mower deck turned out to be so simple. And so cheap.

My property is a bit too steep in places to use a ZeroTurn mower without some serious 'pucker factor' in the seat and plenty of slippage if the lawn has even had a hint of moisture, morning dew, or even excessive humidity. So the Ventrac, which is designed for working slopes, is the ideal piece of machinery. I don't even want to try to price out a new one. And the deck is solid, it just had a seriously worn out bushing and tension arm.

As for my 72" deck, I got that all greased up and checked out LAST weekend when I hooked it up to the big tractor.