• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TV / DVR Addition

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just back from a week vacation at the beach. Great weather, had a great time. But one little annoyance ... and it is minor, but I wondered if anyone else has a DVR addition like I do.
In the evening after dinner and a walk on the beach I would turn on the tube. Times always varied, but with no DVR (aka TIVO) I had 100 or so channels to flip through, but nothing stored to watch. I never caught shows when they started so you had to watch from the middle, and worst of all, you had to watch commercials. Commercials are torture to me. I'm so used to being able to watch any show I like and fast forwarding through commercials that now I get no enjoyment from regular old fashioned TV. The first few nights I surfed the channels and got bored and turned it off and read. Then I just kept the news channels and would flip between them to get a tidbit of the days news, then I would read.
I do watch live tv some, but then I can pause the show, do whatever and come back and hit play. this allows you to avoid the dreaded commercials.
I suppose the TV torture was amplified by me not using the TV for background noise as I often do when I'm home. I tried my best to stay off line the majority of the vacation and I did pretty good. A good break.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I did watch a DVD series my wife had to a series of books she had read. Outlander. A Dianne Gabalden trilogy. The premise is a bit far fetched but overall an interesting series set in 1743 Scottland.
Question for all, if you DVR your shows does watching regular TV bore you to tears?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a DVR and I use it for regularly programmed shows. I also like to read so when watching "live" TV I keep my book in my lap and when the commercials come I turn down the volume so I can barely hear it and read the book until the show comes back on.
Mike

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty much so Doc. Might have something to do with the fact there is little of interest (on TV) to me anymore. Used to watch the news channels a lot but since I realized it's not really the news I gave that up too. Besides, it pisses me off to realize I'm spending $130 a month to be blasted with commercials so I read a lot. 1/2 of it online and 1/2 of it on my ipad.