• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dargo (the German Shepherd, not me) has died

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't been here in quite a while as I've been battling my own physical battle and refused to let pain and sleep deprivation taint my disposition. I actually go in for the first of at least a couple major back surgeries next week, but that is not the reason for the post.

My buddy, companion and protector of our family for the last 15 1/2 years passed on to dog heaven today. I'm sure all who have had a pet know what I'm talking about. Other than my oldest son and daughter (who is well on her way completing medical school), my youngest three kids do not really recall any time that Dargo was not around. He had the perfect disposition that I wanted; people were intimidated by his pure physical presence, but I never needed to worry about him biting anyone unless they were trying to break in or harm anyone in our family. Other than the time the big buck squared off against him, he always came out on top.

He did a great job of teaching our (now 3 year old) female German Shepherd the rules here. She has never run off, she has his mean look down, and she is surprisingly fast and powerful. I think the beginning of the end was when Dargo tied into a raccoon and opossum that had gotten into our enclosed area by the pool. Hampered by extreme old age he got injured a bit until Ellie (his trainee) heard the noise and joined into the fight. It was a little unnerving to wake to a lot of noise between our house and guest house at 3am hearing Dargo barking and then yipping in pain then hearing Ellie's attack barking (that somehow is lower in tone than our male German Shepherds) as she got involved. I walked out to Dargo struggling to get back on our porch and Ellie covered in blood but being her normal self (bringing me any ball, stick etc. for me to throw and play fetch). The opossum was just dead and bleeding in the pool but the raccoon was mostly destroyed with blood just everywhere. I guess the 'coon put up more of a fight.

Anyway, tonight will be the first night since Christmas of 2001 that we will be going to bed without Dargo on guard for our family. I'm well aware that everyone reading this has lost a pet. We will all get over it, but it's tough for a bit. Out of respect for a great dog, I'll keep the screen name of Dargo. If my upcoming surgeries can stop me from completely losing my ability to walk, I'm sure I'll be in a better mood mentally and come back to visit; for better or worse. ;-)

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear of Dargo's passing. I know he was a big part of your family.

Jim

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He had a good run with a great family, rejoice in his peace and memories!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, so sorry to hear this. As you know we lost both our little Maltese Snowball and our Akita Misha in the past year.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like all use old timers are losing our friends ..... :sad:

Beaux the wonder dog is hanging tight but mother time is catching up.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm very sorry to read about Dargo, Brent, but I'm glad to see you back.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to her about Dargo's passing. I know that it hurts.

The one thing that the good Lord really messed up was when he made a dog's lifespan too short ... 'way too short. :flowers:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhh sorry to hear this Brent. Man, it's tough, I know. We lost Bailey, our Great Dane May of 2015 and I still miss her. They are such a huge part of our life that I guess it's only natural to think of them and miss them once they've passed. So sad though. :(

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Sorry for your loss, we lost a very good companion last week. Libby was 16 going on 17. She was a great little beagle who loved to chase the squirrels and rabbits in the back yard. She was actually my sisters dog, but I would have her at my apartment every once in a while, and she would visit me often when my sister would visit.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
15 1/2 years is a good life for a big dog. Sorry for your loss - it is one of the worst things to go through.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
So sorry for the loss Brent. There has been a lot of that surrounding me too. Hope you get to feeling better as well!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This broke my heart, Brent.

I am going to be feeling that pain all too soon I fear.
Gretchen is going on 14 and I know she won't be around forever.

Leni

So sorry to hear about your dog. Glad to see you back here though and good luck with your surgeries. Keep us posted.