• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jack hammer from Harbor Freight

k-dog

I've had a need for a jackhammer for sometime as the great state of WV grows rocks really well and then there was the concrete walk that needs to be redone. I decided to risk it and buy the electric one from Harbor Freight. I used a 25% off coupon plus it was on sale and shipping was only $6.99 to my door. I got it for around $350 or so and figured it would need to last me about 24 hours of use to pay for itself (cost of renting one for 3 eight hour days).
Well it has far surpassed my expectations. It works just as well as the Bosch one from rental place and it has lasted past 24 hours of usage. It is not as rugged as the Bosch but it has done quite well. So now I'll have a jackhammer when I need one to take the top off a rock in the yard to mow over it or whatever. Now I just have to buy a cheap hand cart, weld a pipe to it and add some pipe to the back to make is a jack hammer cart.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I might need one of those next summer.
I got a good deal on a Harbor freight nail gun. So far it's done 85ft of boat docks and framed up a bathroom. Well worth the 80 bucks it cost me.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, here's my philosophy on buying tools.

If I'm getting something that I'm going to be using a lot and often, then I'll pay a premium and get something really good.

If it's for a one off job or something that I'll use very seldom ... I go to Harbor Freight.

Over the years I've been pleasantly surprised by the Harbor Freight stuff. OK, you can tell by looking at it and handling it that it's not "quality", but every couple of years when you pick it up to use it, it still works for the limited time that I need it to. Nothing wrong with that!!!!

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I try to buy all my expendables at HF. Items like rubber gloves, eye protection, glass beads, even blast cabinet gloves are good quality and cheaper. Most tools, not so good.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's hoping for the best from the jackhammer!! I decided long ago to not buy any AC powered tools from harbor freight. A welding forum I belong to has members who've bought 4" HF grinders 3 and 4 at a time to use professionally. They say it's cheaper that way than buying high quality ones. To each his own. When I buy anything from HF, which I do quite often, I always tell myself to remember what I paid for it so when it breaks I won't be quite as angry.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a rear patio off our family room that cracked. 1/3 of the 25' by 18' slab is in good condition and the other 2/3rd of the slab is tilted and broken into about 4 good size pieces. Way too big to haul out with the front end loader on my tractor. Been thinking I need to rent a small jackhammer to break it into manageable parts.

Now I'm thinking I may visit Harbor Freight.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
About 4 years ago...I bought the 60 lb and the 35 lb hammer from HF....I wore out 2 sets of points on the 60 lb hammer and it is still going strong..the 35 lb broke the first day...took it back and got a new one...and it has been a good one.....cant complain for what they cost.......well...on the other hand I can complain....they about wore me slick before I got the old foundation broke up and hauled off!!!!!:sad:

k-dog

I have been using the jack hammer quite a bit lately and it is still going strong and working great; however, I uncovered a fairly large rock ledge that needs to go. It is about 4 foot high or so and about 40 feet long and anywhere from 2 to 3 foot wide. It would take forever to jack hammer that ledge so I'm looking at using Dexpan. Has anyone ever used it before and what were your results. I'm gonna get the SDS max rock drill bit and I'll need to get a SDS max drill from Harbor Freight as I only envision using it for this project right now and I'm trying to keep costs down, otherwise I would have them come in with the hoe ram on an excavator.