• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fireplace update for "She-who-must-be-obeyed"

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the house has been returned to its pre-Christmas state, so it's time to tear it up...again!:yum:

Mrs JEV is tired of the looks of the fireplace after 22 years, and feels a new look is in order. She picked out a dark tile for the hearth extension with a pewter color grout, and a light colored stacked stone for the vertical field. Today was demo day, and after much cursing, it's finished The wall tile came off pretty easy, but there was still damage to the drywall that extended above the metal enclosure. The hearth extension tile was not coming off easily, and basically had to be destroyed with a 3# hammer to break free from the thinset. I ended up peeling the top layer off the plywood base, so I need to add 1/4" cement board to level out the floor and bring it up to where the new tile will be flush with the existing fascia (old material was 1/2" marble). Then it's time to get out the paint brush before tile work. The brass trim will be stripped & painted flat black.

Attachments

• DSC_0267.jpg
    DSC_0267.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0269.jpg
    DSC_0269.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 90

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
:wink: You sir are one lucky man!!!! you don't have to worry about being left with nothing to do!!!!!!!:biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I envision canyon stone surround with a granite mantel.....:whistling:
all I envision is DONE! :yum:

Yeah, no shortage of work around here. The kitchen job was the start of the whole house painting project, so I have a long way to go. She also is talking about having me rip out the carpeting the living & dining rooms, and installing cherry flooring.:doh: I need to go back to work so I can relax. :yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I kinda liked the old fireplace and surround. The new one had better be spectacular. :yum:
As long as SHE like it, it will be spectacular. I built the mantle and surround at the old house while this one was under construction, then installed it before moving in. I always liked the look of wood, but I also like to have a place to put my cold feet at the end of the day.:brows:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with Mrs JEV. You need more projects and don't have enough to do.

Just keep her away from my wife.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
As long as SHE like it, it will be spectacular. I built the mantle and surround at the old house while this one was under construction, then installed it before moving in. I always liked the look of wood, but I also like to have a place to put my cold feet at the end of the day.:brows:

I thought the back of Moms legs was where ya put cold feet!!!!!:brows:

Kane

WTF is with the sissy old fake gas fireplace? Clearly Mrs. JEV will be much happier with a manly new real wood burner. Such romantic ambience!!

It's just a matter of a new zero-tolerance firebox and tearing up the outside of the house, too, for a new chimney installation.

No big deal. Right? Many cozy fireside BJ's to cum, guaranteed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I learned a long time ago to never intentionally lift a finger around a woman without being ordered to do it since when she who must be obeyed learns of you having a skill it will be all over. You'll be renovating the whole house before you know it. I once took a scrubby to a black mark on the floor on a a nightshift I was working to remove a simple little mark. By the time I was done I had been on my hands and knees 6 hrs scrubbing the entire common area of the house to clean all the black scuff marks. Apparently my female coworker thought it was a good idea once I started.

I'm with ETF....I kinda like the old one with the wood finish. I'm not one for the ultra modern straight line look that most people are going for nowdays.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
WTF is with the sissy old fake gas fireplace? Clearly Mrs. JEV will be much happier with a manly new real wood burner. Such romantic ambience!!

It's just a matter of a new zero-tolerance firebox and tearing up the outside of the house, too, for a new chimney installation.

No big deal. Right? Many cozy fireside BJ's to cum, guaranteed.
The "sissy" fake gas fireplace was MY idea when we built the house.I had a wood burning fireplace in the previous house that I converted to gas logs because I got fed up with screwing with firewood. Pussy? Ok, I can handle that. At least I'm not cutting, splitting, stacking & stoking my life away. That's for you young guys.:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Done yet?
Wood is all primed & 2 coats finish painted. Not looking forward to setting up the tile saw in the unheated garage. Water, sub-freezing temps and human flesh don't mix well. Gonna fill the pan with hot water, and hope it lasts till the last of the tile is cut.:hammer: Maybe start tile on Friday.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
We finally got a break from the sub freeing temps so I could setup the saw in the garage. This job is finished and now it's on to painting the rest of the woodwork in this room.

Attached Images
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 30

Kane

We finally got a break from the sub freeing temps so I could setup the saw in the garage. This job is finished and now it's on to painting the rest of the woodwork in this room.

Attached Images

Yeah. Like the split face stone surround. Same product I used on our kitchen back splash.

Nice job. We hope that she-who-shall-be-obeyed is pleased.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice job Joe.
I've always had a hard time painting over wood grain, but I have to admit, your final product looks GREAT (both the fireplace and the Kitchen). :clap: :clap:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Right fine job ....keep it up and you are going to make a fine husband!!!!! :whistling:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Good job, Joe! I just can't figure out how Mrs. JEV tore you away from the kitchen long enough to do this. :biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Good job, Joe! I just can't figure out how Mrs. JEV tore you away from the kitchen long enough to do this. :biggrin:
She was so surprised that I finished the stone work yesterday, that she took us to the restaurant at the corner so we could "build your own burger" and split an order of fries...AND SHE PAID!!!!:clap: Both were delicious and quite filling.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Nice job Jev, i like the way you have gone for a white modern finish around the house.

Since new year i have repainted my kitchen walls and woodwork,same in my bedroom and one of my Daughters bedrooms,i just have one bedroom to go and the utility room.

We also added a new fridge freezer to the kitchen, wanted a change from the standard white so went for a shiny black one.