• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Racer in the family.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been a dream of mine and my brothers to get dirt track cars together and go racing. Only problem was the nearest dirt track was always an 8 hour drive away. A new track was just finished literally Saturday morning as they laid down the last of the clay. It's only 2 hours from my brother and 6 hours from me. So, my brother managed to scrounge up a car and trailer for free in lieu of sponsorship decals on the car. He was literally one of the first to get a car on the track. There's still lots of work to get the track ready for the spring but it's nice to see a track come to life.

https://www.kenoraonline.com/local-sports/feelin-the-need-for-speed
7605cd0c4d40e0e9954e1a2e9c924820.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, that looks like fun. I've heard that hobby is more expensive than my boating hobby. LOL

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is how the car sat since the last time it raced 13 years ago.
e71203617c58bcaaa91f621926c4bdb3.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, that looks like fun. I've heard that hobby is more expensive than my boating hobby. LOL
Yes. You definitely don't get rich running the local dirt track. An average price for a similar pure stock car up here ready to race is around 10k. We had been looking for something decent and even a basket case with no engine seat suspension etc in roller form was 3k. So when he found out about this car sitting there he approached the owner (who happens to be a gm dealership) they offered him the car and trailer to use in lieu of sponsorship. I find it funny that he's got a dodge and a Ford in the yard but is sponsored by gm.
12f712bbc0001006830156080858d016.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Growing up my uncle was a racer. The #10 was the number he used. I remember being 6 yrs old and spending the winter over at a garage with my dad and uncle building this car. Unfortunately it only ran one season till the local track closed.
63ade8e533a158c806daff1b45ad0c4e.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I remember when they were building that blue race car it was just the bare roll cage and suspension all finished up. They had also dropped the motor in and wanted to test it at the track before installing the body. The seat and seatbelt were also not installed yet.

So my uncle headed out on the track slow at first then he couldn't resist. He opened her up to see what she would do. After the 4th lap at full speed he was coming out of turn 4 and hooked a rutt. The car pitched sideways and started to roll. It rolled 4 times before coming to rest on it's side. Now remember there was no seat or seatbelt to hold him in. Somehow he escaped with nothing but a broken nose. The car was laying on it's side with the engine still running. He was laying there inside with his face all bloody. He came to and started shouting to shut off the engine so it didn't blow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So my brother has been working on the car all winter and it's almost ready for it's maiden voyage. Its gotten a paint job inside and out. New engine with racing cam. New transmission.

The engine that was in it was only run once 15 years ago in a special run what you brung event. The previous owner put a 10k modified engine in it. So it was a definite sleeper. Lol
d3b3edf723905d73d1c907fb745cc8ab.jpg
fdbe93ce527408e6acd37452cfa8a82e.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time for an update. He's been racing twice a week since June and getting better already running about midpack every race. The car is getting better with a tweak here and there. I want to get to one of his races soon but it's a 3 hour drive to one track and 6 hrs to the track that's just being built. And an 8 hour drive to the track in Winnipeg where he races.
57e8c54bcf7a914a6eead3c61d90175f.jpg
cda906c4a29673176b2b75dab12158a8.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
He's been racing pretty much twice a week in emo Ontario and Winnipeg Manitoba as well as attending the practice sessions at the new Lake of the Woods speedway in kenora Ontario. I've been watching this track come from the ground up. Only last summer it was a bedrock field that required extensive blasting just to get level ground. They brought in many loads of clay and are now in the process of installing the grandstands catch fences tire barriers etc.
f9bb879d37978549d1cd8e534ba569f7.jpg
b4223d3186c07b130b5bc0112dd96b46.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I finally made it to see my brother race. Two nights ago he was racing in Winnipeg Manitoba against 21 other cars in his class. He started 2nd in both races and finished 2nd.

Last night, he drew last starting position against cars a class higher than him running bigger engines with more horsepower. He was holding his own till he blew a tire on the last lap of the heat race. That put him starting the feature dead last again. He started 22nd and worked his way up to finish 12th. This in an old homemade jalopy of a car racing against purpose built chassis cars with stronger engines. And at one point he was coming into turn 3 when a car spun out in front of him. He managed to get the car turned sideways and locked up the brakes in order to not t bone the other car. His car came to a stop rested sideways up against the other car. He still managed to work his way up to 12th after that. The driver who won the feature in his heat was a 14 year old in a purpose built chassis.

006783e1b205dd2662f92e3e255cb8df.jpg
a4b02cb932500085d88e289bb89047c6.jpg
6f771cdac12123ae2d3507f98fb4ca90.jpg
e343ef71a51ce93879c6e7635800e1bb.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The Joy's of a dirt racer.....

Sitting in a boat launch area changing a bent tie rod from last night so he can race again tonight.
6a9cc7838fc49c803a2c9367576c9e45.jpg
531a9b17dc2b04e6840d81666bd86334.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So this happened Thursday night in Winnipeg when he was racing. He still managed to finish the race in 2nd against 25 other cars after this "incident". How fitting that Cole trickle from days of thunder and the wood brothers car have dale Earnhardt pinned. Lol
42c90625e24f15990d10803b1df420d6.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. We grew up around racing. My dad uncle and another guy had built a racecar when our track was still open. We're on the lookout for another car now. The one my bro has now is way too narrow making it his Achilles heal. His tires stick out 6 inches on each side. No matter how good he's doing, all it takes to ruin his night is a little side bump into another car. Happened twice last weekend. He gets bumped from the side and cuts a tire. He has 2 laps to get it changed during the yellow. But comes out in the back.

Last week he was racing in a class higher than his. Bigger engine different gears etc. And he was running mid pack till he got slammed cutting a tire.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how I missed this thread.

All I can say is WOW!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Think he could pick up Henry as a sponsor and get us some samples in the deal? :thumbup:

Attachments

• 5FB339F3-B8DE-4F46-8281-DB9F0ECD4646.jpeg
    5FB339F3-B8DE-4F46-8281-DB9F0ECD4646.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 218

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Unlike most of the cars in his class who are doing it with very little sponsorship money, he came out of the box with sponsorship from 7-8 different local businesses. I guess being a police officer made him a few connections around town.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Dirt's for potatoes. Asphalt is for race cars :D

Pretty fortunate here in Placerville; Placerville Speedway runs stock cars, Sprint cars on 1/4 mile dirt. Roseville is 45 minutes away with a 1/3 mile paved oval(I remember when it was 1/4 mile dirt). Auburn is close, and has Speedway Motorcycle flat track 1/8 mile(used to be 1/4 mile dirt oval). Sacramento Raceway has a couple seasons left; 1/4 mile dragstrip.

Calistoga and Chico have super fast 1/2 mile dirt tracks with 1.5 hours. Sears Point(Sonoma) is 1.5 hours away road course.

Hangtown is long time Motocross(Prairie City OHV park)

And we're just down the road from the Rubicon 4x4 trail ;)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. We're pretty limited up here for dirt tracks. Closest to me running regularly is a 4hr drive. Our local track only holds 1 weekend a year.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dirt's for potatoes. Asphalt is for race cars :D

I said something similar one night at Wayne County Speedway in Ohio. watching Sprint cars. While waiting in line for some refreshments, I looked at my wife and said "Dirt's for farming, Asphalt's for racing".
I wasn't sure I'd make it through the night without getting mobbed.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
In the mid-late 1970's a family friend raced at All American in Roseville, Ca. He had found a T-shirt with that saying and a race car on it. I don't think he made it out to the dirt tracks wearing it ...

Funny thing is my Dad and Grandfather ran cars in the 50's and early 60's at the same track; it was dirt from when it opened till 1972. the first couple seasons after paving were tough; the stands were empty except for the drivers families for the most part.

Now it has been expanded to 1/3 mile paved.

I said something similar one night at Wayne County Speedway in Ohio. watching Sprint cars. While waiting in line for some refreshments, I looked at my wife and said "Dirt's for farming, Asphalt's for racing".
I wasn't sure I'd make it through the night without getting mobbed.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We're pretty fortunate to have a number(and variety) of tracks in N. Calif. Kind of surprising given politics in Calif.

The biggest threat here is growth. Sacramento Raceway has had a lot of development nearby, and with it complaints. Last I heard they were trying to stay open thru 2020 race season. Why do people move in next to a race track and then complain about the Jet cars and top fuelers? :hammer::hammer::hammer:

Awesome. We're pretty limited up here for dirt tracks. Closest to me running regularly is a 4hr drive. Our local track only holds 1 weekend a year.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Why do people move in next to a race track and then complain about the Jet cars and top fuelers? :hammer::hammer::hammer:

Same reason people move next door to an airport and complain and the same reason people move next door to a gun range and . . . .

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer::hammer:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So this weekend is our local dirt track one off event that only happens once a year. It's a two day event. Part of the problem with that track is location. It's built way out in the middle of the woods 40miles from town. My brother is staying at the track. He called me last night wanting me to search around for a new set of plug wires and distributor cap. I guess he drove through a bad storm hauling it and everything under the hood got soaked including electrical.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So this weekend is our local dirt track one off event that only happens once a year. It's a two day event. Part of the problem with that track is location. It's built way out in the middle of the woods 40miles from town. My brother is staying at the track. He called me last night wanting me to search around for a new set of plug wires and distributor cap. I guess he drove through a bad storm hauling it and everything under the hood got soaked including electrical.
Bummer.

Hopefully you can get the parts and get out to him.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There was a chance that the whole weekend would be a washout due to severe thunderstorms. The weather usually travels to the northeast. Looks like the racing gods are smiling. The storm basically split in two and we'll be right in the middle and spared the worst of it.
eb91e16ed078b1ceee16a652fde7513c.jpg