• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Netgear Orbi wifi router ... wow

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My aging Apple Time-capsule wifi router started to show faults. The satellite router was not registering. My alarm system connection for the backup radio signal malfunctioned several times. I figure out pretty quickly that I needed to replace my router.

Checking the Apple website I found several non-Apple wifi routers. Because of my alarm system's back up radio, I needed a router + a satellite. But the satellite needed to have multiple ethernet connection capabilities as my system has 3 separate ethernet connections. So based on my peculiar needs it was pretty easy to narrow down the choices to the Netgear Orbi system. It uses wife/mesh technology and has a 3gig transfer speed.

Set up was pretty simple. Download an app to my phone, connect the phone to the router (wirelessly) and follow the prompts. 20 minutes to set the whole thing up, and that included downloading a software up date for the router.

What surprised me was how much my internet speed increased due to the faster router. I didn't expect that. But apparently my 10+ year old Apple router was choking down my performance so no matter what my bandwidth connection to the internet, my router could not handle the throughput to my devices.

All of a sudden we have significantly faster loading of webpage, no more spinning wheel of death on Netflix, etc.

Just thought I'd pass along my observations, if your internet performance is lacking it may actually be your router.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. I think we all appreciate info like this. My ASUS router has been dropping connection daily. Probably time for me to consider replacing this 7 or 8 year old router.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob. I think we all appreciate info like this. My ASUS router has been dropping connection daily. Probably time for me to consider replacing this 7 or 8 year old router.

Because I live out in the country we have no access to modern conveniences like cable TV with their super speed internet, we can't get Xfinity or Comcast anything. We can't even get an old ISDN line. So we are on a wide area wifi system that beams internet to us. I always figured my router was faster than my internet.

Early this spring we upgraded out internet service to a faster package because Melen needed more bandwidth when finishing her law school work. It helped a bit, but really not much.

It was only because I started getting faults on my alarm system and a few other things tied to my wifi that I figured it was time to change my router. I only went with this particular router because it was capable of handing the multiple ethernet cables at the 'satellite' receiver and the router and the satellite communicated on their own frequency band. Never did I think that my old router was a choke point in my internet speed.