• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stihl chain saw ran out of gas now will not start

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New Stihl chain saw was running great, until I ran out of gas. Filled the tank but no way to restart. I let it set and tried more still no start. Pulled the plug and squirted a ilttle gas in cylinder still no joy.

So I let it set and move on to the excavator. All going great unil I got a log stuck between the blade and the track. Whoops. So I needed a chain saw. Since it had sat for hours i thought I could get it started as maybe it was flooded before. Nope. Tried every setting but it would not fire. Frustrated I called the place I bought it from. The guy there advised me to put the lever in the normal run position (not choke) and then to have someone hold the chainsaw trigger at full throttle and for me to pull the start cord rapidly and it should fire. Sure nuff that worked. it took two rounds of maybe 10 pulls each but she stared up. A few sputters at first but then it ran like normal. I got the log off the excavator track and was able to continue excavating. Woo Hoo. Happy camper here.

Hopefully this will help someone one day ...plus it will help me remember what he advised me to do. LOL

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
It doesn't seem to matter the make, those little 2 stroke engines can be awfully cantankerous, even new ones. All the new technology hasn't seemed to improve them in that respect. I've found when they start giving carb trouble it's easier to just get a new carb rather than try to kit it. New carb for my Mantis tiller was $15 and a kit was almost that much.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Stihl chain saw. The only way to start it is to choke it first, it will try to start, sputter and stall. Once it does that, un choke it and it will start every time. I used it today as a matter of fact.

When I purchased the saw new, the salesman made sure I knew that. He said telling you now will save a phone call later. :th_lmao:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Stihl chain saw. The only way to start it is to choke it first, it will try to start, sputter and stall. Once it does that, un choke it and it will start every time. I used it today as a matter of fact.

When I purchased the saw new, the salesman made sure I knew that. He said telling you now will save a phone call later. :th_lmao:
Yep, that is exactly the way I started my dad's 024 and my 025 that I got in 98. And that is the way to start this new one. But after running out of gas that did not work. On the 025 it worked every time, no issues. No idea why this new one is more persnickety than the old ones but I'm simply glad to have a solution.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My little husky has started and ran fine. I didn't use it since the fall then used it out at scout camp a couple weeks ago. It fired right up second pull on half choke and ran through a tank of gas without missing a beat.

My poulan on the other hand. Got it brand new. Ran maybe a tank of gas through it. It runs fine but keeps throwing the chain after one cut.