• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nellie ''Bell''

olympicorange

..... Also, I had to modify the original alt. Mounting brackets slightly, not much, to accept alt.& align the belts...

olympicorange

....so as far as the gauges... Have you looked into some metric adapters ...to screw into engine ports....and to reuse the original sending units for the gauges....

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
....so as far as the gauges... Have you looked into some metric adapters ...to screw into engine ports....and to reuse the original sending units for the gauges....

I've found a bit different approach, going electronic dash onto a tablet, wanted something different and unique (at least in my opinion)

Snowy Rivers

THAT IS A 1350 SERIES JOINT.

A good stout joint.

The Thiokols use a 1410 (Next size bigger) at the diffy.

Project is looking great.

olympicorange

……….. installed the t/f case yolk , had to build up the u-joint ''knubs'' on yolk. had to slide engine & tranny forward to install,.... also for future removal access room...

Attachments

• 0204201625_Film2.jpg
    0204201625_Film2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 0204201647a_Film2.jpg
    0204201647a_Film2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 0204201647_Film2.jpg
    0204201647_Film2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 0204201631_Film2.jpg
    0204201631_Film2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 169

olympicorange

……. well , many thanks to Nikson , for his help,.... we did a comparison... and it appears that the newer 1500 series have a longer front frame ( probably a good chance , all the newer models , from the 80's on...) than the 70's models. by 4 inches... ( radiator space)… I was wondering why it looked like most everyone else had more space up front,... now we know... hmmmm

Attachments

• my 1542 frt. frame .jpg
    my 1542 frt. frame .jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 303
  • nikson 1544 frt. frame.jpg
    nikson 1544 frt. frame.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 301

olympicorange

….. plan B ,.... make some run at rear or trans. seeing how this unit has a park 'pawl'' ,.. no need for p/b assy. ( sacrifice for room) unlike the Allison's , which most older models don't. remove components, remachine yolk, etc...

Attachments

• 0207201603a_Film2.jpg
    0207201603a_Film2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 0207201614_Film2.jpg
    0207201614_Film2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 0207201639_Film2.jpg
    0207201639_Film2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 286

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
OO,

Just curiosity sake, were you guys measuring from the firewall forward? And do those years have a recess into the cab floor for the bellhousing? Got me thinking mine seems to have a bit of room there if I decided to make a change. First pic from the firewall, second pic from the recessed area. And sorry, have to turn your phone over, I can't seem to get those pics right side up.

Attachments

• 20200208_071701_001.jpg
    20200208_071701_001.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 20200208_071750.jpg
    20200208_071750.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200208_071405.jpg
    20200208_071405.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 281

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a tucker guy, but is there any other brakes on that rig? On the ones I've rode in that driveline brake is the only one on the rig.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
On Tapatalk: I saved your pics, then rotated them then reinserted.
On web: I email my pics to myself from my phone to my pc, open them in a photo editor, then rotate the pics 360 degrees and save them, then they will post correctly...seems crazy but works

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks KickerM,

I tried rotating them in photo editing on my phone and saving them, but they still posted upside down either way. I'll have to try sending to PC then. Normally I don't have that problem, normally hold my phone so the snap button is at my right thumb, but because I was holding the tape measure with right hand I rotated the phone so snap button was at left thumb. Must be something to that. I thought maybe there was a way to rotate them after they were unloaded here that I just wasn't aware of.

olympicorange

…… 1BG, … thanks for adding pics , most helpful...anyone else plz share also.... so we were measuring from the 45 degree ''short'' crossmember under the cab firewall,,...to the front cross frame. quite a bit of difference in length s. what year is your tucker you're measuring . C/T ,... there is a service brake , operating by foot pedal,... located at the front output of the T/F case yolk ( disc brake/caliper). the p/b at the end of tranny is an (emergency) backup mechanical brake , and... a parking brake (p/b) when stopped . a lot of the Allison's don't have a park pawl inside of trans. housing . so like on mine, it's a necessity . thanks K/M for helping with pics ….:thumbup:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
OO,

Measured and mine was 48" from that brace.

It's an '89 1644C. I really don't know where to find some Tucker info so I'm most of the time just guessing from pieces. This cab style, thus the designation C?, started around 87?, maybe the frame was made a couple inches longer when that body style started. Or maybe when a factory blade was ordered, as mine was, the front end frame got a couple more inches to accommodate hydraulic fittings up front? Idk, just thought I'd share the difference.

Attachments

• 20200201_131626.jpg
    20200201_131626.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 230

olympicorange

I like the idea of the 1600s door glass on the fronts.

…………. yes, larger door windows would be nice for sure....also reversing the doors ...to the ''suicide'' operation feature ,...would make getting in & out a little easier...walk up the front tracks and get in. that's on the list ….:thumbup:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
My experience is very limited, the only Tuckers I've been in besides the one I have were 2000 models, but the visibility is pretty good in this cab design. Larger front window as well. You can actually see some of what you're doing with the blade. And yes, the suicide doors make it easier to climb into I'm sure. The 58 inch wide cab also allows for a center console which seems kind of nice too.

Attachments

• 20200213_085033.jpg
    20200213_085033.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 180

olympicorange

………. that's a great shot... :thumbup:.... looks like a long reach to operate the trans. ''T handle/tower'' ,.. visibility looks great. going to revert doors next,....

olympicorange

..……. handy location for the fuse block, at the top/center of console ,.. is the main power panel under dash ..or the hood,... :thumbup:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
..……. handy location for the fuse block, at the top/center of console ,.. is the main power panel under dash ..or the hood,... :thumbup:

Yes handy the fuses front row center. Can't say I've looked or noticed the main panel. Battery disconnect is on the firewall drivers side, and I see that BC Tel has a small box with a spare breaker in it taped to the steering column. Gotta be important right :wink:

I'm thinking it's under the dash or console just because I haven't noticed it in the engine compartment. I'll let you know as I investigate farther.

I guess they just mean for the co-pilot to do the shifting, promotes teamwork, keeps life interesting

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
………. that's a great shot... :thumbup:.... looks like a long reach to operate the trans. ''T handle/tower'' ,.. visibility looks great. going to revert doors next,....

Funny thing, I've thought about going suicidal on the door's version as well (hope that came out right) LOL

I guess its a simple swap of Passenger door to the driver's door, and vise versa... :)

Only issue with our stuff I thought is that the dash is in the way more or less, unless you trim it.