• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

speed cameras in wheelie bins

daedong

Would you tolerate this in the USA?

I personally think if that is what they need to do to catch speeders :drive2:then so be it. However I will still scream like a stuck pig though when I get caught.

If you go to the link there are comments from readers.

'Sin bin' snaps 350 motorists in a day

TOM ZED
February 15, 2007 01:15am

Article from:
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

WHEELIE bins hiding speed cameras are catching hundreds of speeding drivers without warning.
(Want to post a comment on this story? AdelaideNow would like to hear what you have to say. So scroll to the comment box below and post your point of view.)
Motorists at Echunga last Sunday were caught out by a speed camera hidden in a green wheelie bin.
The operator of the camera, who was sitting in a parked car about 100m away, told a member of the public that he had caught about 350 people speeding during the day.
A spokeswoman for Police Commissioner Mal Hyde confirmed that hidden speed cameras had been operating in the area over the weekend but could not confirm how many drivers had been caught speeding.
Speed camera operators are part of SAPOL's police security section and are not police officers.
The spokeswoman said covert speed cameras had been part of SA Police's anti-speeding strategy for several years.
"We use a number of different camouflages and disguises for our covert operations to suit the purpose," she said.
"There are a whole lot of different housings that we use for cameras.
"There's obviously no secret that we are using covert cameras. We can't say what we use to hide cameras because that would ruin the whole point of them being covert." The spokeswoman said the camera used at Echunga over the weekend was not the same type trialled in the city early last year, although that camera had also been referred to as a "wheelie-bin" camera.
The German-imported "container camera" was housed in a grey, steel box on wheels and was about the same size as a wheelie bin.
When police were questioned about the introduction of this camera, a spokeswoman denied it would look like a domestic wheelie bin. But no reference was made of the operations of the bin which was photographed by an Advertiser reader at the weekend.
SA Federation of Residents and Ratepayers Association president Kevin Kaeding said hiding speed cameras in wheelie bins was "deceitful". "I don't know if you could get much lower than that," he said.
"It should be totally outlawed. Speed cameras should be visual.
"The warning should be made that there are cameras there and if you do speed, then you will pay.
"With the camera hidden, people will still speed but with cameras in the open and with warnings out there, people will slow down.
"You have to ask if they are there to save lives or just to revenue-raise and in this case, it looks like it's just revenue raising.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21228132-5006301,00.html

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More of a police state everywhere.
My problem with it is that here they appear to set the limit 10 below what they want you to go. 5mph over is normally a given, then in another thread, Dargo said he got one for 4mph over. :eek:
If they start using that technology here I hope they adjust the speed limit so that you can travel at a reasonable and safe rate of speed without having to poke along at 55mph on roads that were designed to run at 70mph. 65mph seems reasonable to me.

Vin, What is another name for a wheelie bin? I've not clue what they might be. :confused:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The current revenue raiser in the southern states seems to be cameras at traffic lights.
According to a discussion recently on a local talk-radio program the cameras are often provided at a reduced rate to municipalities and the company providing the cameras gets a cut of the monies from the fines for running the lights. The same company sets the timing of the lights, and reportedly shortens the time for the amber caution period, resulting in more cash flow.
As posted above, I think its time to buy the license plate covers.

daedong

Doc
11_29_72_web.jpg

Fred, anti photo covers are illegal here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Speed camera operators are part of SAPOL's police security section and are not police officers.
Don't have time to look it up but I don't know what SAPOL is.
Around here, it's police or nothing. I can (and have) submitted video of people speeding but it's not valid unless taken by a police department.

Glenn9643 said:
The same company sets the timing of the lights, and reportedly shortens the time for the amber caution period, resulting in more cash flow.
That's against the law and anyone caught, if they know about it, can have their case dismissed and possibly have the camera removed. Personally, I would do a thorough investigation on the equipment before paying.

daedong

bczoom said:
Don't have time to look it up but I don't know what SAPOL is.
Around here, it's police or nothing. I can (and have) submitted video of people speeding but it's not valid unless taken by a police department.

South Australian Police (OL ) I have no idea, will try to find out.

We do have privite companies that operate speed cameras as well as the police.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
We have em in Chicago. THey are in construction areas. They are for the "safety" of the workers. ANNNNNNNND..... they also make lots of money for the Govt.
20.gif