• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone watching the healthcare summit?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Been watching for almost 3 hours and it sure is more of the same old stuff. Obama talks a good line but lets Pelosi and others take over and the bottom line is most don't want to budge from their hard positions. They sure ran away from Tort reform when the republicans brought it up.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I thought the tort reform issue was interesting. Didn't he say that completing all the tort reform that Boehner proposes could only shift a half of one percent of all medical costs? It probably is needed but tort reform is being pushed as a major, stop-everything issue when it simply isn't.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I only get 3 or so local tv channels if i,m lucky , Is there anyway to watch it on the internet ? :smile:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The state of Texas has the strongest tort reforms in the nation when it comes to health care tort. No noticeable effect to date and they have had it for a few years now. As I've said many times before tort reform needs to be done on a state by state basic as the Feds, only control Federal courts which to my knowledge see little if any thing in this area of law. I could be wrong though. If I'm wrong though one of the lawyers in here will correct me I'm sure.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
The state of Texas has the strongest tort reforms in the nation when it comes to health care tort. No noticeable effect to date and they have had it for a few years now. ugh. If I'm wrong though one of the lawyers in here will correct me I'm sure.
Have You looked at other factors that may have driven up costs ?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I thought I said it above: Whether or not tort reform is included in this bill, the maximum difference it could make is a half of one percent of total costs.

So to insist that tort reform is the main issue in the bill, is in my opinion a distraction, a hindrance, a smokescreen.

And I chuckled a little when he said the Republicans could have put it in their healthcare bill a dozen years ago if they thought it was crucial then.

Last edited:

SShepherd

ugh......all I keep hearing from the democrates is " Oh, we're really not that far apart", "oh, were closer to agreeing than you think"..bullshit

Obamas comment to MCain was pretty uncalled for...

Oh, did anyone catch harry Reid sleeping??

Notive that the democrates got almost twice the time to speak as the other side of the aisle-- and when questioned about it Obama pretty much said "too bad, get over it"

The whole thing needs to be junked- just like is being said. Who cares if they spent SSSSSSsssoooooooooo many hours working on it-- they work for us, and we're paying their salary through taxes, remember ??!!

.........they make me want to club a herd of baby seals:hammer:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Have You looked at other factors that may have driven up costs ?

Well cost of insurance have gone up as much in Texas as anywhere else in the country though their law suits are have gone done. They also have a cap on pay outs to plaintiffs. The information is readily available if you look. I heard it on a news broadcast on one of the stations about a year ago coming from I think the Texas insurance commissioner or what ever his title is in Texas.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I only get 3 or so local tv channels if i,m lucky , Is there anyway to watch it on the internet ? :smile:
From kos:
A reminder on the logistics. The summit runs until approximately 4:15 p.m., EST. Live C‑SPAN coverage continues for the duration on C‑SPAN3, CSPAN.org and C‑SPAN Radio. It is streamed live on whitehouse.gov and streaming on DKTV
I just looked and Cspan says they will rebroadcast. DKTV was running the NBC feed which has finished. Whitehous.gov may rebroadcast, I don't know.

I think any straight feed is much better than the snips we are sure to see on the evening news.

I watched the second half. It is ugly to watch legislation being made, up close, but very worthwhile to watch.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I watched the second half. It is ugly to watch legislation being made, up close, but very worthwhile to watch.

Yes and in that statement is the problem today. 24 hour news cycles, internet coverage (most BS) and we live in a 30 second sound bit world today as a result of it. No group of anything can do anything in that environment especially when it comes to the military, politics or government. People now expect everything to be done at the end of the day. :ermm:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
From what I saw today, it was being used as a distraction so the Republicans can avoid talking about how their plan excludes 30 million people who still wouldn't have insurance if the Republican plan is enacted.

Why in the world didn't they enact this reform when they were in the driver's seat? And save all that money like in Texas?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
$5.4 billion a year is small change to a democrat!

$5.4 billion a years is chump change to the health insurance industry, about 1/2 to 1% spread over a whole nation and many insurance companies.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
... about 1/2 to 1% spread over a whole nation and many insurance companies.
Like I said, today it sounded like this half percent was the ONLY talking point the Republicans want to keep bringing up. Talk about pre-existing conditions? Nope. Cover present actual costs by broadening who pays? Nope. Broaden health insurance to bring our extent of coverage up to that of the more civilized nations? Nope. No no no. Does anyone remember that NoNo is the name of the GOPosaurus shown below? Today illustrated why NoNo symbolizes the Republican party.

SShepherd

Like I said, today it sounded like this half percent was the ONLY talking point the Republicans want to keep bringing up. Talk about pre-existing conditions? Nope. Cover present actual costs by broadening who pays? Nope. Broaden health insurance to bring our extent of coverage up to that of the more civilized nations? Nope. No no no. Does anyone remember that NoNo is the name of the GOPosaurus shown below? Today illustrated why NoNo symbolizes the Republican party.

And Spend Spend must symbolize the democrat party:glare:
....nothing like chopping down a forrest to save a tree

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
And Spend Spend must symbolize the democrat party:glare:
....nothing like chopping down a forrest to save a tree

Actually SShepherd the only health bill of any kind passed since Medicare was Bush's un paid for prescription bill HR 2862. Talk about spending money and the government isn't allowed to negotiate with drug makers for lower prices like every other country is and does.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Just wow. If this where some Americans get their news, no wonder they are misinformed.
In a stunning display of one-sided coverage, during the first three hours of coverage of the Health Care Summit televised so far, CNN only interrupted, whether for commercial or comment, Democratic speakers.

Yes, I could have watched the first three hours on C-SPAN, but I was interested in the balance of coverage. I was stunned.
In the first three hours televised so far, CNN interrupted:

1. Pres. Obama (D) for a Chantax / Pfizer commercial

1. Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) (entire speech) for a Liberator medical device ad as well as an ad by American Future Fund featuring a lipstick-wearing pig which advocated "Tell Congress Start Over and Get Health Care Right."

1. Pres. Obama (D) for ads (including an ad by the Oil and Gas Industry)

1. Sen. Max Baucus (D-sorta) for ads

1. Rep. Robert Andrews (D) (entire speech) for comment

1. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D) for ads

1. Pres. Obama (D) for ads including another one by Pfizer

1. At this point, they did cut into the very tail end (couple seconds) of Rep. Charles Boustany's (R) comments but only to go to Rep. Anh Cao (R) for comment while not showing a couple moments of Pres. Obama (D) and several minutes of another Dem (didn't even see who he was!)
But oh, they came back straight away for Sen. McCain (R)!

1. Then they cut away from Kathleen Sebileus (D) for commentary which they then interrupted their own commentary in order to catch all of Eric Cantor's (R) comments.

1. Then they cut away for the entire Rep. Louise Slaughter (D) comments.
I could understand a slight imbalance, but a total, complete one-sided coverage needs to be called out.

A question I have: is this one-sided coverage 1) on purpose; 2) unintentional, an act of the subconscious. And if so, what does that say about their producer / director? It's an either/or proposition.

Not to mention that their "commentators" include Rep. Anh Cao (R), David Gergen (R), Dana Bash (R) and Ben Stein (R-asshat).

This is what America is watching. The Most Trusted Name in News?? Actually, at this rate, they should change their entire name from CNN to Fox Lite.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what America is watching. The Most Trusted Name in News?? Actually, at this rate, they should change their entire name from CNN to Fox Lite.
[/INDENT]
Well at least You still have PBS , Abc , Nbc , Cbs , NPR , etc .
I'll bet it tough for the liberals knowing that they don't have the monopoly on the news .:yum::yum:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
That is easy to say but I don't think so.

I think he said this will be a straight up 50/50 split on time, and the only variance I saw was his closing remarks at the end.

After all, his purpose is to give the Republicans a microphone to show the world that their alternative doesn't cover the people who need health insurance the most.

grizzer

I think today's summit was for Obama to create C-SPAN tape to be used to deflect 2008 campaign promise deficiencies for his upcoming 2012 reelection campaign.

The repubs gave him 8 hrs.

Nothing more nothing less.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Just wow. If this where some Americans get their news, no wonder they are misinformed.
In a stunning display of one-sided coverage, during the first three hours of coverage of the Health Care Summit televised so far, CNN only interrupted, whether for commercial or comment, Democratic speakers.

Yes, I could have watched the first three hours on C-SPAN, but I was interested in the balance of coverage. I was stunned.
In the first three hours televised so far, CNN interrupted:

1. Pres. Obama (D) for a Chantax / Pfizer commercial

1. Rep. Steny Hoyer (D) (entire speech) for a Liberator medical device ad as well as an ad by American Future Fund featuring a lipstick-wearing pig which advocated "Tell Congress Start Over and Get Health Care Right."

1. Pres. Obama (D) for ads (including an ad by the Oil and Gas Industry)

1. Sen. Max Baucus (D-sorta) for ads

1. Rep. Robert Andrews (D) (entire speech) for comment

1. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D) for ads

1. Pres. Obama (D) for ads including another one by Pfizer

1. At this point, they did cut into the very tail end (couple seconds) of Rep. Charles Boustany's (R) comments but only to go to Rep. Anh Cao (R) for comment while not showing a couple moments of Pres. Obama (D) and several minutes of another Dem (didn't even see who he was!)
But oh, they came back straight away for Sen. McCain (R)!

1. Then they cut away from Kathleen Sebileus (D) for commentary which they then interrupted their own commentary in order to catch all of Eric Cantor's (R) comments.

1. Then they cut away for the entire Rep. Louise Slaughter (D) comments.
I could understand a slight imbalance, but a total, complete one-sided coverage needs to be called out.

A question I have: is this one-sided coverage 1) on purpose; 2) unintentional, an act of the subconscious. And if so, what does that say about their producer / director? It's an either/or proposition.

Not to mention that their "commentators" include Rep. Anh Cao (R), David Gergen (R), Dana Bash (R) and Ben Stein (R-asshat).

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Your jugheads are going with the Nuclear Option, so lighten up before you have a stroke. You're peeps are still going to do as they damn well please, so you're still going to get your way. If it doesn't pass, it's the fault of the Dems, not the Republicans who can do nothing to stop it.

Sheesh....

SShepherd

That is easy to say but I don't think so.

I think he said this will be a straight up 50/50 split on time, and the only variance I saw was his closing remarks at the end.

After all, his purpose is to give the Republicans a microphone to show the world that their alternative doesn't cover the people who need health insurance the most.
for the second time--since I posted that the dems got more speaking time--

Here it is again:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-democrats-talk-four-hours-republicans-talk-two-hours

At today's health care summit, Obama and the Democrats were allotted twice as much time to talk as the Republicans. Here's the breakdwon, according to the Senate Republican Communications Center:
Obama: 119 minutes
Dems: 114 minutes
Reps: 110 minutes

SShepherd

Actually SShepherd the only health bill of any kind passed since Medicare was Bush's un paid for prescription bill HR 2862. Talk about spending money and the government isn't allowed to negotiate with drug makers for lower prices like every other country is and does.

Joe, ya keep bringing up what Bush did- like that makes it ok....

there's nothing we can do about George now--he's gone, sittin at his ranch , laugh'in his ass off.

our CURRENT admin is bleedin money like a dozen stuck pigs, and it needs to stop

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a plan.
Cut spending
Cut taxes
Allow free market to work.
Get back to less than 4% unemployment.
Move the illegals out.
More people have insurance that is paid for
Insurance costs go down.

10,2 and out.......