• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weird objects in the sky last night

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last night I went outside and I naturally look up at the sky. To my south, something caught my eye. It looked like a bright star but it was moving every few seconds. It moved very rapidly for a couple seconds then stopped but moved in different directions each time (up, down, left & right). Not a jet as they're easy to pick out and fly generally straight. Not another type of aircraft as the movements were too fast.

I went back out an hour later and the object was completely gone. I stay outside and look at the sky in general. Hey, I spot a satellite overhead. It's moving slowly westward but then about 5 seconds later, it makes a hard left turn and flies to the north at an incredible speed. The speed is what I'd compare to a falling star yet there was no trail of it burning up like one.

Still looking at the same area where I saw what looked like a satellite and about 10 seconds later, another one. Same slow start heading westward but then again it turned hard to the north and repeated the high-speed flight in that direction. It wasn't the exact same path but was in the northern direction.

I kept watching and this repeated 9 more times. An object would appear almost directly overhead (these didn't start at one horizon and track straight like a satellite would), move slowly westward for a few seconds then turn and make a high speed exit towards the north.

Once last year, I did see the same thing (and in the same general location) as mentioned in the first paragraph of this post.

I spent 4 years in military aviation and took several college level courses in astronomy so I'm somewhat familiar with what's up there but I have no explanation for these things I saw last night.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a laser that is very powerful.it will burn holes and light cigarettes. It is easy to shine great distances.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had thought of a laser but discounted it on a few points.
1. It was a perfectly clear sky. Nothing for the laser to bounce off of (like clouds).
2. Commercial jets were flying well under these lights. The first object may have been self illuminated but the others appeared to be in the atmosphere where they were getting their brightness from a reflection from the sun (like you get when visually observing satellites).
3. The motions of these objects were too steady. I can't get a laser to not shake some at over 100 yards.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will you be checking the skies again tonight?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen the same thing a few years ago. No explanation for it. We were out at our fish camp on a clear night looking up at the sky when we noticed a bright object slowly moving across the sky. It slowed down and stopped. Then moved around a bit then shot off 90 degrees from the direction it was going. Then it was gone. 4 of us saw it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen the same thing a few years ago. No explanation for it. We were out at our fish camp on a clear night looking up at the sky when we noticed a bright object slowly moving across the sky. It slowed down and stopped. Then moved around a bit then shot off 90 degrees from the direction it was going. Then it was gone. 4 of us saw it.

Same here some years ago out farming late at night.

What I saw was not an airplane. 90 deg turns and instant supersonic speed with no sound at all.. :unsure:

I believe we are not alone on this planet, I think..

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You guys used to do acid in the 60's?
"Artie" used to see butterflies, big, and attacking him, when there were none...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought of that too Fred so I brought my wife and son out. They confirmed the first thing I saw and it moving. Weren't interested in staying out to look further. They just told me to call them outside again if and when they landed.