• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Plasma Cutter

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Plasma Cutters have dropped considerably in price so that I'm thinking of springing for one. Shopping Amazon and seeing Lotos LTP5000D for $335. This runs on 110 or 220 which seems to be an advantage but ....not sure if I'd need that option.

My first planned use would be for fabricating, creating a frame to hold bucket seats in the bed of my RTV.

Here is a list of them on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=plasma+cutter

Any tidbits or advice for newbie with the urge to pick up another toy?
So many of these are over $1000, do the cheaper versions do okay for general purpose cutting?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Do not waste your money on anything that can not be serviced or parts sourced locally.

IMO, things like this need to be either Lincoln or Miller. You get what you pay for. I have two off brand plasma cutters that were given to me because they don't work. I took them thinking I could make one good one out of the two. Hahahahahahahahah...

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree w/ av8tr, doc, on Miller or Lincoln. You might also take a hard look at Hypertherm. If your dealing w/ aluminum are you also prepared to buy a tig welder?
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a little Hobart that I haven't used in years. I bought it when I was doing a lot of fabricating and repairing all the farm equipment. It's rated up to 1/2" but I used it on 1/4" to 3/8" plate. As I remember, it worked very well and saved me a bunch of time considering the alternatives. Everybody should have one if for no other reason than it is another TOY ... and it's really neat.

Be careful though. I did cut a groove through my metal saw horses. When you get on a roll, sometimes it's difficult to stop. :whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would recommend any of the big names esab thermal dynamics Lincoln or miller I use a thermal dynamics rated to 1 inch. for around the house / hobbyist don't waste money on one that cuts less than 1/2 inch also you will need a good air dryer system.
tips will be your most used consumable stock up on them.