Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM

OhioTC18 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just found a 2016 Honda NC700x motorcycle

She looks like she's enjoying it.
Doc  (09-08-2018), jim slagle  (09-08-2018), Melensdad  (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,687 Times in 2,915 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18 View Post
She looks like she's enjoying it.
She is. Its, by far, the biggest bike she's ridden but is already fairly confident on the road. Low speed (think parking lot) maneuvers are when she is less confident.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-08-2018), jim slagle  (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 12,869 Times in 5,237 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
Nope, not Melen,

And now you know why I refer to my wife as the lovely Mrs_Bob

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Now that we have 2 of these things we have been riding together daily. These bikes are rapidly proving to be the right choice for our uses.

The DCT transmission is a dream to operate in traffic situation, not that our town has much traffic, but we do have a 4 stop lights on our main street. No clutching with the left, no working the friction zone, no shifting with the foot pedal. Just twist the throttle to go and brake to stop. We worked on all sorts of low speed maneuvers, balancing while stopped with our feet up, etc in the H-D class and the DCT pretty much makes every one of those maneuvers a cake walk.

Took them into town a couple days ago, stopped at the grocery store and also at the Aldi. Loaded up the internal storage trunks with potatoes, onions, meat, coffee creamer, cheeses, etc and headed home.

The trunks, located where a traditional motorcycle has a gas tank, are great for small grocery shopping trips. Each front trunk (we call it the "frunk") holds 22 liters. If you think about that its actually pretty amazing. A gallon of milk is roughly 4 liters. The lovely Mrs_Bob can put her size medium helmet inside the Frunk and lock it closed while she shops, but my large, full face helmet won't quite allow the lid to close down. The helmet goes in, but the lid won't seal. But that space gives us a nice bit of storage for things if we decide to stop somewhere while we are out, allows us to bring home leftovers from a meal, etc.

The lovely Mrs_Bob is gaining confidence at speed too. She's finally gotten up to 50mph and other than a perfectly rational fear of getting hit by a deer, she seems to be having a lot of fun. And the whitetail deer are moving! We saw a dozen of them cross in front of us yesterday afternoon.

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (09-19-2018), TiredRetired (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Boned

Thanked 1,724 Times in 497 Posts
nixon will become famous soon enoughnixon will become famous soon enough

Donít do wheelies ! Bad juju can happen ! Name:  16A75A4F-FB93-43D1-9FF8-3643C07ACBA7.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  105.2 KB

08f150 @AS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nixon For This Useful Post:
Melensdad  (09-23-2018), TiredRetired (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM
The Old Salt

Thanked 9,510 Times in 3,734 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Now that we have 2 of these things we have been riding together daily. These bikes are rapidly proving to be the right choice for our uses.

The DCT transmission is a dream to operate in traffic situation, not that our town has much traffic, but we do have a 4 stop lights on our main street. No clutching with the left, no working the friction zone, no shifting with the foot pedal. Just twist the throttle to go and brake to stop. We worked on all sorts of low speed maneuvers, balancing while stopped with our feet up, etc in the H-D class and the DCT pretty much makes every one of those maneuvers a cake walk.

Took them into town a couple days ago, stopped at the grocery store and also at the Aldi. Loaded up the internal storage trunks with potatoes, onions, meat, coffee creamer, cheeses, etc and headed home.

The trunks, located where a traditional motorcycle has a gas tank, are great for small grocery shopping trips. Each front trunk (we call it the "frunk") holds 22 liters. If you think about that its actually pretty amazing. A gallon of milk is roughly 4 liters. The lovely Mrs_Bob can put her size medium helmet inside the Frunk and lock it closed while she shops, but my large, full face helmet won't quite allow the lid to close down. The helmet goes in, but the lid won't seal. But that space gives us a nice bit of storage for things if we decide to stop somewhere while we are out, allows us to bring home leftovers from a meal, etc.

The lovely Mrs_Bob is gaining confidence at speed too. She's finally gotten up to 50mph and other than a perfectly rational fear of getting hit by a deer, she seems to be having a lot of fun. And the whitetail deer are moving! We saw a dozen of them cross in front of us yesterday afternoon.
STOP TALKING ABOUT ALL THE FUN YOU ARE HAVING WITH YOUR BIKES!!!!!!

You are giving me the itch, old man.
jim slagle  (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
STOP TALKING ABOUT ALL THE FUN YOU ARE HAVING WITH YOUR BIKES!!!!!!

You are giving me the itch, old man.
Well the modifications have begun. As we are outfitting these for a long distance trip I've purchased luggage racks for side cases (panniers) for both of these bikes. I also purchased a rear top case rack and top case for mine as my helmet does not fit inside the "frunk" due to my overly large and bulbous head!?!

Worked on installing the racks on my bike yesterday. My cases are German, from a manufacturer called Hepco & Becker. They are pretty industrial duty plastic cases. Built like a heavy duty ice chest but without the foam lining between the layers. These things can take a beating, can handle a skid across the asphalt or gravel and absorb the impact of the crash ... not that I plan to test the durability!

Mine also have quick detach side racks. There are a couple small brackets that say on the bike, but the metal frame, in the shape of a rounded rectangle, can be pretty easily removed by turning 3 quick attach bolts on each side of the bike. Not sure why the 3 pictures showing the frame detail are UPSIDE DOWN but I think you can get the idea of how the quick attach system works to remove the frame.

I actually got most of the parts for my bike at below wholesale prices (thanks to eBay) so I paid the same price for side racks, rear rack and 3 cases as we paid for 2 side cases and side racks for the lovely Mrs_Bob's bike.

I may install the racks on her bike today? Or maybe not? Her set up is different since we have GIVI side cases and frames for her bike. I wanted to use the same brand on both for the simple fact that we'd be able to key all the locks the same, parts interchangeability, etc. But the price on my stuff was simply something I could not pass up. Had I been able to I would have ordered it for her bike as well. Her GIVI side cases are streamlined and sporty while mine are box like and clunky. One big advantage to her side cases is they have tail lights integrated into them that increase her visibility. I'm going to look at some sort of surface mount lights for mine???
Attached Images

- Ayn Rand
The Following User Says Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (10-01-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

I had 1 piece of the Hepco & Becker rack that I didn't install yesterday.

It was a brace that ties the 2 side racks together and stabilizes them at the back end.

For all the reputation that German's have for fine engineering I have to bitch about this. First I thought that the powder coating they used over the entire rack might have filled the threads and it would have to be cleaned out, thereby revealing the threads. NOPE. They simply forgot to thread the parts.

So I pulled out the Tap & Die set and cut the appropriate threads. Shouldn't have to do that. Luckily I had the correct metric cutter. If not for the fact that SEARS closed down their local hardware store a few years back and had a massive tool sale I would not have metric taps/dies but I needed 1 piece for repairing fencing gear and I was able to purchase an entire metric set for the regular cost of 1 cutter.

Another GRIPE with the Hepco & Becker rack is that the powder coat is gloss black. NOTHING on the Honda, for which this rack is designed, is GLOSS black. Lots of matte black. Zero gloss. So again the German design team failed.

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (09-23-2018), NorthernRedneck (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
The Old Salt

TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I had 1 piece of the Hepco & Becker rack that I didn't install yesterday.

It was a brace that ties the 2 side racks together and stabilizes them at the back end.

For all the reputation that German's have for fine engineering I have to bitch about this. First I thought that the powder coating they used over the entire rack might have filled the threads and it would have to be cleaned out, thereby revealing the threads. NOPE. They simply forgot to thread the parts.

So I pulled out the Tap & Die set and cut the appropriate threads. Shouldn't have to do that. Luckily I had the correct metric cutter. If not for the fact that SEARS closed down their local hardware store a few years back and had a massive tool sale I would not have metric taps/dies but I needed 1 piece for repairing fencing gear and I was able to purchase an entire metric set for the regular cost of 1 cutter.

Another GRIPE with the Hepco & Becker rack is that the powder coat is gloss black. NOTHING on the Honda, for which this rack is designed, is GLOSS black. Lots of matte black. Zero gloss. So again the German design team failed.
Wow, I have my share of tools but metric tap and dies? Nope. That would have pissed me off royally. Things like that really torque my jaw.
jim slagle  (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Wow, I have my share of tools but metric tap and dies? Nope. That would have pissed me off royally. Things like that really torque my jaw.
YUP, not happy about that.

And I don't have a lot of tools beyond the 'basics' but because of the fact that I repair fencing equipment i need to re-thread, and sometime cut brand new threads, on Epee and Foil blades. For that reason alone I went to buy a cutting die and walked out with a whole set of metric Taps/Dies because of a "close out" sale.

Had I not had this set, I'd probably still be over at the workshop scratching my ass and swearing in GERMAN (or perhaps at the Germans) trying to figure out what the heck to do.

I'm also thinking that I may pull the entire rack back off the motorcycle and spray matte black paint over the top of the gloss powder coat to help it match the finish on the bike frame.

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (09-23-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM
The Old Salt

Quote:
YUP, not happy about that.

I'm also thinking that I may pull the entire rack back off the motorcycle and spray matte black paint over the top of the gloss powder coat to help it match the finish on the bike frame.
I am always telling my wife when we do projects that it is the little things we need to take care of, the big things always seem to take care of themselves. To design a rack for a motorcycle that does not match the bikes overall color scheme is bush league and also would have pissed me off too. Yes, pulling it and painting it is a must. What the hell, it has to be right, besides, every time you walk around the back of the bike you will curse the kraut that decided it needed a gloss finish.
jim slagle  (09-24-2018), Melensdad  (09-24-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

ROOKIE MISTAKE

Went to put fuel in my bike, found out that I had installed the H&B top case too far forward on the adjustable mount. The mount for the box was preventing complete access to the fuel door.

Took off the top box, adjusted everything so the box now sits about 0.75" farther toward the back of the motorcycle, everything works as intended.

The instructions that came with the mounting brackets are little more than pictographs with very limited descriptions and the rear mounting plate is a universal fit deal that attaches to bike specific frames. So when I originally mounted the plate I simply picked a spot that looked good, didn't do a function check because I didn't even think to do that. Like I said, rookie mistake.

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (09-25-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Side cases arrived today. They come with a latch plate that has to be installed on the frame. It has a modest amount of adjustment and requires 2 stainless bolts, washers and locking nuts ... which are NOT provided.

Fortunately I had all of the above stainless bits & pieces. But damn, really? Spending a lot of money on cases and they don't include the required bolts? That is just shabby.

On the bright side these things are certainly tough cases, probably a heck of a lot stronger than my bones so no doubt they will survive a crash or a bang off a tree far better then I will.

Based on the CASES alone these things are much more heavy duty than the GIVI V35 cases that we have on the lovely Mrs_Bob's NC700x. Where her V35 Givi brand cases have Italian flair and a sweeping design, these German H&B cases are industrial strength boxes that makes it look like I use the bike for Pizza deliveries!

Based on RACKS, the GIVI racks seem to have a far nicer finish than the H&B racks, but the H&B rack does have a nice "quick detach" mounting system that I like. And then there is the afore mentioned issue with the finish of the GIVI racks that actually matches the motorcycle while the finish of these H&B racks does not!

Just like some of the GIVI cases there are OPTIONAL tie down points for the tops of the cases. I didn't buy those, but may add them later? The double wall construction seems pretty close to bombproof. Locks are secure and are somewhat recessed into the plastic to make it harder to pry them open. No doubt any lock on most any brand can be opened. But these are pretty good, better than the Tusk style, which I saw first hand and couldn't believe how easy it would be to break those latches.

Inside the side cases is a latch to hold the lid open. There is also a cable to prevent the lid from flopping back onto the bike's paint. Both nice touches. 37 Liter capacity on each side. 42 liter capacity for the top case. I think that should be enough for a good long trip, with the possible exception of a tent ... if we take a tent.
Attached Images

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (10-01-2018), TiredRetired (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM
The Old Salt

Nice and very utilitarian looking. Function over form, no question about that, but that is fine for a long trip. As for the pizza delivery comment, you said it, I didn't. For once.
jim slagle  (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Nice and very utilitarian looking. Function over form, no question about that, but that is fine for a long trip. As for the pizza delivery comment, you said it, I didn't. For once.
Figured I'd just go ahead an admit it first

Besides, it could become my second career.

- Ayn Rand
jim slagle  (10-01-2018), TiredRetired (10-01-2018)