• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saving asses

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First, I am not one who whould suggest that the US stands alone. But I have to ask for some clarification of your post.

I honestly don't understand your first question at all.

As for the chart, that has nothing do to with nations saving other nations asses, it does not show a timeline or anything else on when nations got involved, or where or what they did. For example, some nations were simply rolled over by Germany or Italy early on without much bloodshed (Czechoslovakia & Ethopia respectively). Secondly it could be argued that many of the Czech deaths may have come at the hands of the Allies because the fact is that the Czech industrial capacity was the industry that built many of the German war machines.

War is complicated, suggesting that a simple death chart shows who saved who's ass is inaccurate and revisionist.

daedong

Bob,
I assume this is what 1948berg is trying to quote.

Bob, as you would be aware I have entered similar debates in the past and certainly have no intentions of going down that path today.

1948berg, do yourself a favour and ignore the idiots on this forum and enjoy yourself posting and chatting with the broader minded majority on FF.

russellmn said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nicely put, also the trials that we hear our own media screaming for are U.S. trials in U.S. courts. these courts are reserved for U.S. CITIZENS, we don't use them for international trials. That is what the INTERNATIONAL Courts are for, but they don't want them either! International courts says that they can be treated as "civilian combatants" and the Geneva Convention can be ignored because they are not part of a Government Military Group/Unit and therefore not included in the GC. I think the U.S. is about the only country that pays any attention to the GC anymore anyway.

Dingdong, how can you POSSIBLY compare Gitmo with German concentration camps???? The prisoners at Gitmo actually did something wrong/illegal. The only thing prisoners at the concentration camps did was to be born non-Aryan. Whether that was Jewish, Polish, Mongolian, whatever. It didn't matter what the person did in life, he was locked up just because of what he was born.
If the U.S. is so bad, maybe we should have let the Japanese get you back in WWII??? Have some friggin respect for countries that SAVED YOUR ASS!!!
Russell

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, I trust that I am one of the more open minded folks who is also a US citizen (and proud of it), but I really didn't make the connection to Russell's post. I also don't think the chart had any meaningful information as it related to the post.

dmccarty

1948berg said:
If the U.S. is so bad, maybe we should have let the Japanese get you back in WWII??? Have some friggin respect for countries that SAVED YOUR ASS!!!

Look at numbers, which nation saves asses?
http://www.hitler.org/ww2-deaths.html
The US was not alone saving the world!

Not real sure what the numbers means regarding winning a war.

Its usually a good thing to not die whether in war or not. What this seems to imply is that a country is more worthy by the number of dead and wounded a country suffered during WWII.

Unfortunetely this is a fairly common idea. In Napleonic naval battles the captains that suffered the most casualties often received more rewards than a captain who defeated his opponent with few casualites.

Which captain would YOUR rather serve? The guy that gets it done with the least dead and wounded or the more bloody captain?

One of the greatest battles in History was the battle of Ulm. Napleon beat the opposing Army, I think it was the Austrians, by simple out manuvering them and being smarter. Something like 5% kill or wounded on the French side. The Austrians gave up. How many people have heard of the Battle of Ulm?

The US certainly suffered less casualties than the French and British during WWI. But without a doubt the end of the war was brought about by the fresh forces from the US. This caused the collapse of the German Army. Without the US forces the war would have ground on and on until most likely the Germans finally called it quits. But it would have taken a few more years and another couple million dead.

In WWII the Russians took huge losses. But those loses where because of Stalin's purges and destruction of the Russian Army's Officer Corp prior to the war. He also ignored very good intelligence that the Germans where going to attack and Stalin did nothing. Stalin, the bad captain, made huge mistakes that killed millions of his own people.

One of Hitlers Many Big Mistakes was oppressing the people in the lands taken from the Russians. Those people HATED Stalin since he had killed them by the millions. Unfortunately for those people, Hitler was just a bit worse than Stalin, so they fought back.

Many people think that the Russians could have won the war with Germany by themselves. I think that is not very likely. The fronts in North Africa, Italy and in France kept large number of German forces away from Russia. While there is debate on the effectiveness of the Allied Strategic Bombing Campaign it certainly disrupted train traffic, took up resources to fight the bombers, as well as the destruction of the bombing itself. That took quite a bit of pressure off of the Russians. And Stalin was always pushing for the UK and the US to invade Europe to help him out.

If one did a What If Novel of WWII where the UK and Germany signed a peace treay and Hitler did not make another of his Many Big Mistakes, declaring war on the US, thus keeping the US from fighting in Europe, its hard to think that the Russians would have beat the Germans.

Generally speaking, getting killed for your country is a poor way for that country to win a war. It usually much better if you kill the other SOB. Gee, seems like some General said words to that effect...

Later,
Dan