• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

County & State Fair "food" . . . if you can call it food?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the family and I went to the County Fair on Friday hoping to find Deep Fried bacon but alas, no such luck. I did find Bacon..... But then there was fried butter, that is just disturbing. Now the deep fried Oreos were awesome :w00t2: They were battered and then deep fried and then doused in powdered sugar!!!

Just because we could not only eat garbage food, we also had deep fried VEGETABLES so we would be healthy :whistling:

So what are your favorites? We also had a jumbo smoked turkey leg. I love turkey legs, this one cost me $6.50 but it was HUGE. Melen and I both ate our fill off of just 1 turkey leg. Oh and the lemonade shake up was excellent. I did look at some tractors and UTV while I was there, we also watched the horse competition, English & Western. Walked through the barns with pigs, sheep and cows. All the usual stuff.

PigInMud.jpg

FriedButter.jpg

DeepFriedGoodness-1.jpg

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
DEEP FRIED PEPSI?!?!?!!?!?!!?!? im almost hungry enough that that sounds appetizing :yum::yum::yum::yum:

man i could sure go for some of them oreos though...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Last time I went to the county fair- they had calzones that were so big, one could have fed 2 people, I like the lemon shake-ups too, those deep fried waffles sprinkled in confectioners sugar, and the fries in the cone cup.. with lots of ketchup... the italian sausages with peppers and onions.. it's all usually good and fun to sample..
Deep fried butter, Pepsi however.. wth?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw a news blip on the guy in Texas who came up with the deep fried butter idea. He made a fortune off of it and quit his day job. He has been experimenting with other deep fried items so you never know what's next.
As they explained the deep fried butter (which I agree sounded YUCK when I first heard of it) they said it is butter in dough deep fried ....which makes me think of a deep fried roll w/ butter. It must taste pretty good as it's spreading across the nation.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow ! How times change , I cant even imagine how you could deep fry that kind of stuff much less why you would want to eat it :w00t2:

Last time I went to the Kansas state fair I cant remember anything weird like that . The biggest hit there seemed to be the funnel cakes , But I opted for the smoked turkey leg as well & of coarse the good ole beer & brats , either are perty hard to beat IMO & certainlly not as bad for you as that kind of stuff .

But then again thats been 25 years ago & I didn,t see near the people with weight problems as there is these days . The fat lady in the freak show was actually the biggest woman there & she would probally be considered slightly over weight these days according to the people I had seen at walmart the last time i got out :whistling:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys know simvistatin is behind all this deep fried stuff, dont you?:evil:
For the typical American diet.. yes, there is a nice little dance of conspiracy that is hidden within what is thought to be a healthy diet (and what is showing itself on our daily plates)--and the drug companies.

Fair food, in all it's damning deliciousness is only eaten during fair season.
So I wouldn't think Evil Mr. Zocor is looming under the tents, cackling like a mad scientist or anything at your typical county fair.:yum:

mak2

I just think the thought of an evil drug research guy deep frying butter and compressed lard and twinkies and stuff is funny. Guess if people aint in our field they dont see the humor.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I just think the thought of an evil drug research guy deep frying butter and compressed lard and twinkies and stuff is funny. Guess if people aint in our field they dont see the humor.
:yum::yum::yum:...and you say the right is into conspiracy theories???:yum::yum::yum: Good one, mak. I'll send along some reps for that. BTW, does genetic predisposition have anything to do with cholesterol or is all just those evil deep fried foods eaten annually at the local fair?

mak2

:yum::yum::yum:...and you say the right is into conspiracy theories???:yum::yum::yum: Good one, mak. I'll send along some reps for that. BTW, does genetic predisposition have anything to do with cholesterol or is all just those evil deep fried foods eaten annually at the local fair?

But of course JEV, and your point?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
No point, just making conversation on another hot & humid day in NE Ohio. I'm getting tired of sweating like a hog every day.

mak2

ME too, I went out for a bike ride eairler cause I knew it would be miserable this afternoon. Seems like a lot of 90 degree days this year. I am getting kinda tired of the hot weather.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
ME too, I went out for a bike ride eairler cause I knew it would be miserable this afternoon. Seems like a lot of 90 degree days this year. I am getting kinda tired of the hot weather.
I'm tired of the $250.38 electric bill I just received Saturday. Sheesh...

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I actually saw this at a gun show... A vendor was set uo outside with smoked meat sandwiches; tri-tip ect.

He had some Costco type big box of corn dogs that he threw in the smoker along with the tri-tip and other meat.

Those corn dogs were great!

It was, at the county fairgrounds, but not at fair time.

So what are your favorites?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Being served tonight at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis: DONUT Burgers with BACON

Sweet & Savory and at $6.50 each they are a bargain!!!

lutherburger.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm tired of the $250.38 electric bill I just received Saturday. Sheesh...
My last one was around $160.. even IF I turn the a/c down when I go to work and leave fans on for the dog.
She shivers when I am here with it on and dives under any blanket or throw she can find.
Should have bought a long-haired Dachshund.. :whistling:
shhhhh don't tell her I said that, she's lying at my feet and has sharpie little teeth lol

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Meat-Man Parfait Grabs Illinois State Fair's Heart

Looks good to me!

State fairs, gastronomic celebrations of all things fried, occasionally surprise with the culinary creativity dished up at food booths. Which is how we feel about a new delicacy (OK, that may not be the right word) being served at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield. It's sort of a deconstructed shepherd's pie, a meat and potato concoction, we'd vote it into the State Fair Food Hall of Fame” (if there was one).

It is the "Meat-Man Parfait " being scooped up by the team at Midstate Meat Co.’s booth that captured our tastebuds at the fair on Saturday. They didn’t actually use the word “deconstructed” but that’s how one taster best described his “Meat-Man Parfait.” For $7, you get barbecued pork layered with mashed potatoes in a plastic cup, finished with a dollop of potatoes, a drizzle of barbecue sauce and a “cherry” tomato. Or, you could alternate layers of barbecued pork with barbecued brisket, as we did.

attachment.php

The "parfait," says Midstate's Steve Donelan, is a bit of an homage to a mashed potato-loving uncle, been grabbing a lot of attention, and was conjured up by Bob Cooper, chef at the 33-year old Springfield family business. The all-pork is in the lead as the State Fair favorite so far...but final results won't be known until after the fair ends Aug. 22.

Whether it makes it into a State Fair Food Hall of Fame remains to be seen. Right now, my top contenders are lemon shake-ups, cream puffs, corn dogs, salt-water taffy, deep-fried Snickers and deep-fried pickles. What other fair foods deserve a "hall of fame" spot?

p.s. BTW: Found the last two items at the French booth in an area dedicated to ethnic fare. Who knew the French had a thing for deep-fried pickles?

Source