• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

newest addition 601- Navy?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone ever seen a 601 tagged by the Navy?seems to have all the same inside as the Air force units ( Blue) orange roof stiffener just never seen a Navy one anybody?

Attachments

• DSC01506.jpg
    DSC01506.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 434

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Not Navy, but I've seen Army units.
For coloring... I've not seen a yellow over blue 601 before...maybe it was a test unit for Navy. But there's that yellow 4T10.
Have orange over blue.
Have orange and original orange interior (civilian).... with hatch (hatch seems to vary as it was intended to be military but it does exist in civilian too) ....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would like to know where it spent its navy life i happen to know where there is a navy st-4 and there are only a few places the navy would have had one in the us wales and st laurence island come to mind also i would bet there was a navy instalation up by barrow cool find if the navy had a toy like that yu can bet it had a use

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
i would like to know where it spent its navy life i happen to know where there is a navy st-4 and there are only a few places the navy would have had one in the us wales and st laurence island come to mind also i would bet there was a navy instalation up by barrow cool find if the navy had a toy like that yu can bet it had a use

Trying to track the history down on this, but it spent 2.5 years in Missouri, prior to that sounds like mostly stored and rarely used but only for transporting school children as required in of all places Texas.......in a town of less than 100 people if it snowed it took them to school , no snow days in Texas I guess. before that it came from the Navy but do not know why or where yet. but we have someone working on it .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Trying to track the history down on this, but it spent 2.5 years in Missouri, prior to that sounds like mostly stored and rarely used but only for transporting school children as required in of all places Texas.......in a town of less than 100 people if it snowed it took them to school , no snow days in Texas I guess. before that it came from the Navy but do not know why or where yet. but we have someone working on it .
the navy snow trac i'm working on getting was stored in side of a buildig about 50miles south of the arctic circle and only had 150 hours on it its still sitting in that building some 15 years after the navy turned the building and stuff in side to the village and has never been run since the last person that seen it was a dot mechanic and he said it looked like new on the inside but the out side was covered in dust.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice purring engine...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd0fjmeiwo4"]YouTube- Snow Cat[/ame]

weatherby

Has anyone ever seen a 601 tagged by the Navy?seems to have all the same inside as the Air force units ( Blue) orange roof stiffener just never seen a Navy one anybody?

Nice 601 Boggie......What I know about Thiokol and the Navy, is they DID badge some for the Navy and also the US Marines Corps. I have a small factory pic of a 604 badged in US Navy. The pics are in black & white so its hard to tell what color it is. However it looks the same shade of color as the Air Force blue cats in other factory pics that I have. This 604 that I have a pic of is meant to float and was intended for fire fighting according to the note on the back of the pic. Now on the other hand the pic that I have of Thiokol Cat badged in US Marines Corps, they also call a 604 BUT it can not float and dose look different that the 604 that floats. So my "guess" is your 601 did belong to the Navy, and probably for ground transportation around a Navy base in some cold region along the DEW line.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice 601 Boggie......What I know about Thiokol and the Navy, is they DID badge some for the Navy and also the US Marines Corps. I have a small factory pic of a 604 badged in US Navy. The pics are in black & white so its hard to tell what color it is. However it looks the same shade of color as the Air Force blue cats in other factory pics that I have. This 604 that I have a pic of is meant to float and was intended for fire fighting according to the note on the back of the pic. Now on the other hand the pic that I have of Thiokol Cat badged in US Marines Corps, they also call a 604 BUT it can not float and dose look different that the 604 that floats. So my "guess" is your 601 did belong to the Navy, and probably for ground transportation around a Navy base in some cold region along the DEW line.
the navy had nothing to do with the dew line but around here on the coast what i can talk about because i know more than the locals is they boh had a deep port for supportof arctic opps and a summarine base both are now closed any thing after that i can't talk about

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i would guess the reason for the sell off of the snow cats and other equipment is their presence is all electronic now they do still train up here a buddy of mine who was a captain on a freighter up here witnessed a undrwater mmissle launch several years ago off st paul island.

HOOYAH!

Being active Navy myself, I would have a hard time restoring one as Air Force, so I would have to turn one Navy. But I cut cars up to make them better, no purest here.

I'm stationed in northern Nevada now and at my command, we have one snow cat for traveling out on our range and up into the mountains.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
The navy still operates an active station here in North Idaho!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
It was also an Air Force unit BEFORE the navy got there greasy little hands all over her! Almost as bad as someone taking a Sawzaw to her! Damned Squids.......

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
yep, did have a smell mouse nest under the front seat, but the 3 as in 603 was a photo magic opportunityof someone ( the three appears bigger) , definitely a 601 :brows:

I claim innocence... actually, I do claim innocense... seriously.
Someone else do the screen grab... you'll see the 3.

The rig is obviously a 601... no doubt...it wasn't a mutation/bastardization but I thought it could have been a different number plate by mistake or whatever... cuz it does look like a 3.

But someone else do the grab...boggie thinks it's been doctored... granted, the video is a lossy-style compression so the true data is not in the video... but it's almost like seeing jesus in that 3! :w00t2: Again, just cuz lossy compression shows a 3 don't mean it is a 3...but seeing the 3 via video should be perfectly reproduceable by someone else.

wesley

:whistling:Are they related to the mice who homesteded the rear seat of my 601? I pulled a M29C from a swamp on the gold mine road near Big Bay MI. I was cranking the starter trying to get it to start then BOOM! a massive cloud of lint covered my entire block. The muffler was packed with mouse nest. When the dust cleared there were two complete mouse skeletons lying in my driveway behind the M29C. After that the weasel ran great.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well you guys believe what you want to. But that looks like a 3 to me. Who has the 603 now? Just ask them to get a picture.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Well you guys believe what you want to. But that looks like a 3 to me. Who has the 603 now? Just ask them to get a picture.

Ask and ye shall receive... here's the line-up.

And there was NO photo-fuzzing with the Navy tag. Note the Navy one is from a lossy video while the other two are still shots... maybe it's a case of 'jesus toast'... I dunno. Boggie...why don't you just take a still photo of it?

Attachments

• 601_603_Imposter.jpg
    601_603_Imposter.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 142

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ask and ye shall receive... here's the line-up.

And there was NO photo-fuzzing with the Navy tag. Note the Navy one is from a lossy video while the other two are still shots... maybe it's a case of 'jesus toast'... I dunno. Boggie...why don't you just take a still photo of it?

Trust me it is a 601, do not need a photo. it has already been polished, it lost its blue haze. new glass,new tubes, new front tires, new vlave cover gasket,new battery in the tach sending unit, new master cylinders, original styled mirrors, new spotlight, rotating light fixed, etc. etc. ready to be driven.

was not drivable the way it showed up the tubes were so old you put air in and it just leaked out.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, there's no doubt it's a 601.
I was just curious about the numbering... but if you look at the tarnished 603 vs. the clean 603 you can see the loss of clarity of the straight top of the 3... so the video and the tarnished plate almost look close...
So I think it's due to the lossy effect of the video.
Interesting effect though. No jesus in the toast afterall.
;)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Trust me it is a 601, do not need a photo. it has already been polished, it lost its blue haze. new glass,new tubes, new front tires, new vlave cover gasket,new battery in the tach sending unit, new master cylinders, original styled mirrors, new spotlight, rotating light fixed, etc. etc. ready to be driven.

was not drivable the way it showed up the tubes were so old you put air in and it just leaked out.

:weneedpic:weneedpic:weneedpic

not of the plate now... now we need pics of the gal!