• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mini Bees ?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been noticing a lot of bees around my various plants for the last few years . However , they seem to be very much smaller than a normal honey bee . In fact they seem to be only about one third the size . We still get an occasional normal sized bee . I actually had one of the smaller bees land on my hand today , they look very much like a normal bee . Any one else notice this ?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You mean those little sweat flies that look like bees?

loboloco

I've been noticing a lot of bees around my various plants for the last few years . However , they seem to be very much smaller than a normal honey bee . In fact they seem to be only about one third the size . We still get an occasional normal sized bee . I actually had one of the smaller bees land on my hand today , they look very much like a normal bee . Any one else notice this ?
We have a similar phenomenon occurring here. For several years we have seen these extremely small bees and have traced them to a series of burrows in a clay bank. some research last year leads me to believe they are a bee that nest underground in a colony. Not very aggressive at all.