• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

human shields... cynical tactic revealed as 'foreign legion' gathers at illegal site

Lia

Banned
I’ve got several questions here. Before I even read the article, or the comments, the thought struck me, and I had to ask; Are these Travellers, or Settlers? They can’t be both.

Someone commented that they all have brand new 4x4’s and Motor-homes, and this is true, and tends to be the general thing with them. One usually thinks (perhaps erroneously, I don’t know), of Travellers as those, distinct from Gypsy’s, down on their luck, and perhaps running away from debt obligations, national or council taxes, and residential accountabilities? So, one has to wonder how it is that they can afford all these top name vehicles. And, if they have the readies for such vehicles, it stands to reason that they could all afford to buy their own homes, no?

The other questions that I have is that, this land is their own. They bought it (goodness knows how, since my understanding of these things is that they are not regular workers. So, why do authorities refuse planning permission for one to build on their own land? Ok, I can see the social disadvantages. For example, building a sort of close knit (perhaps too close knit, structurally) estate could bring more social and criminal problems that the taxpayer has to sort out once again. And, surrounding law abiding residents who do have legitimate homes could be considerably discomposed by such a rag-tag element.

But, they’ve got to live somewhere, surely… The roads can’t be littered up with motor-home dwellers. Chaos would ensue. Over here, there isn’t any other type of way of life, such as we have in the states, as with the Amish, etc. There are no exceptions to the rules of habitation and residential communities; apart from Gypsies, who have lived their lifestyle and culture forever.

What’s to be done? Is there an answer to this problem; and, more importantly, is this gonna be another situation, that escalates into such violence and civil disobedience, as the London riots did?

Traveller children could be used as part of a human barricade to stop evictions at Dale Farm in a cynical attempt to turn public opinion against police and bailiffs.
Protesters are planning to chain themselves to concrete blocks at the traveller site – part of which was built illegally – in the battle against the bulldozers.

Details emerged as a ‘foreign legion’ of activists began joining the barricades at the camp in Crays Hill, Essex, an area of which the travellers bought and then built on without planning permission.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...use-children-human-shields.html#ixzz1WnBuANLf

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think the obvious questions would be how are they handling the sewerage, water and other utilities? If they have no permits for that many folks in such a small area it can turn into a public health problems quickly. As far as taxation, they should be paying their share same as the places around them. We have had similar issues around here with folks just moving mobile homes into pastures and fields with no permits or approvals. They were forced to vacate the places and now they sit empty as eyesores.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Along these same lines I was talking with a friend in Pa. today who recently built a big new workshop for his business. The state environmental police are hassling him because his employees in preparing the site exceeded the specified area of ground they excavated by about 40 ft. They will fine him for not having an erosion control plan on file with them before digging. This is on the corner of a 220 acre farm where the area in question was always a tilled field. Because they used dozers instead of farm tractors it was illegal.:hammer: